Linus Media Group YouTube Channels Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if some of the cloud features are being supported by expensive hardware like 100s of DGX compute stacks? I just now made a realization that some of those cloud edition or SaaS may have been built on top of environments not reasonably accessible to others hosting and managing their own data centers. Could be partially why it’s so hard to get feature parity between SaaS/Cloud offerings and On Prem.

I do know there’s some demands being made of users for feature parity

Like I say with AMD GPUs - if that's the product they're offering and it appeals to me (and in this case appeals to me enough to forgo local/no internet support) - I have no problem buying it. Just whatever product/service that is, doesn't exist yet (in terms of existing, and appealing to me).

And as of right now I still like being able to turn on my lights by app (on phone/tablet/computer) or by physical (smart) switch when the internet is completely out - so what they're offering better be damn good😆

damn email attachments are what gets ya every time!
More likely a very well crafted, “there’s been an update to your “VPN client”, update now”
Message and got them to download a malicious version which got them in and on and bam.

Well, arguably, but continue that logic were there anything bad about doing that if that was the case ?
Wasting my time watching a 15 minute video, but 13 minutes because I do have sponsorskip.
It is in the future, how could you say 0 YouTubers will avoid the issue in the next 12 months by having seen that video or not ?
Nobody learned anything unless you really think it's a good idea to open up any file you get off the internet. This would have zero effect on me because I run Linux and I'm pretty sure that PDF targets Windows users, which btw how's TPM 2.0 and Secure boot helping Linus Tech Tips? I would dare say you should run Mac OSX if you plan to open up any file off the internet, just because it's far less likely to work, and you know how I feel about Apple.
That not about being right or wrong, some weak security feature cannot be set to off by their users, is that wrong or not who knows, can it be improved yes.
I know how this worked, based on how Linus described it. As someone who often does install OS's, one shortcut I do is just copy my FireFox and Chrome folder over and it's like I never left. This even works between Windows and Linux. So it sounds like the PDF has copied over those folders to someone's location, and they just logged in as if nothings wrong.

How do you expect Google to solve this problem? Ask people to do 2 factor every time I used YouTube or Gmail? You fucked up, not Google.
  1. Don't open up files you get from Email on a Windows machine. Use Linux or Mac OSX to do that, or at least do it in a VM of Windows. This is like security 101.
  2. This PDF transfered a lot of data through their network, was nobody paying attention to this? Who's their network admin? I doubt the hacker took over right away, so someone had time to look through network traffic.
  3. Do you not rotate passwords?
When does advertiser are the purpose of the video ?
Dbrand and a Porsche I think?
Linus, bro. What are you doing?
View attachment 559109

I swear, having cameras in all areas of your house is just weird.
It's called narcissism.

The sponsor at the end was shilling. Him making a video about it is just him capitalizing on this. The smart thing would be not to make a big fuss over this thing as it does happen often.... to them. Especially the details that someone opened a PDF file and used their FireFox and Chrome browsers data to get the password info. This did happen to Linus Tech Tips a few years ago when they lost thousands of dollars to a phishing attack, also known as reading an Email. For a bunch of tech guys, they aren't very good at security, and making this video is just advertising it. More importantly this is just a very quick and easy video for Linus to capitalize on, hence sponsor at the end of the video.

Just because someone watched something doesn't mean they have to automatically agree with them. I slow down and watch car wrecks, just like everyone else, and this is the same thing with Linus Tech Tips. Just to give you an idea of what kind of videos they make, they recently uploaded a video on how a cooler might kill your CPU and Intel's new CPU's are cringe. I can't make this stuff up. Linus Tech Tips makes a lot of crap videos that took about as much effort to make as I did to watch. Then there's videos like how he got his hands on a China GPU and actually benchmarked it, which is an interesting video worth watching. The problem is that Linus does deal with the YouTube algorithm, which means they have to upload a lot and often, which means they're making a lot of crap worthless videos just to pay the bills. Doesn't mean I have to like it and respect them for it. Also, Linus does come up often for his dick moves. Remember how he didn't honor warranty for the crap he sells? How he accuses people who block ads of piracy? Now recently there's a video that shows he's kinda a dick to his employee's. Linus is the kind of guy you want to be "hating" on.

you mean the staged video of him being a dick to his employee's? or the fact that every single one of his employee's came out and said that shit was taken out of context and that none of them have a problem with Linus? oh yeah the whole piracy thing when some one asked him what his opinion was on adblocking as a creator where after he made the statement then said he didn't care if people used it or not nor did he enforce any of his employee's not to use it but you know that obviously didn't matter now did it?

that's fine if you don't like the guy but ffs take the tinfoil hat off and move on. no one gives a crap about the out of context bs you're spewing in an attempt to justify your jealousy.

I doubt he was actually naked. Probably in his boxers and they blurred it out because it's funny.

Having cameras in your house is pretty weird IMO. I would never do it, but in his case you notice the only feeds he's showing are in the "public" areas of his house where they've been doing a lot of filming and non family members are there a lot. I can understand having them.

nope, he was 100% naked.. during the wan show he talks about it.. Dennis was the one that edited it and basically what Dennis told Linus is all he does is blurs out the entire video then slowly removes the blur so that you only have to see enough to figure out whats going on in the clip thus he doesn't actually have to see linus nude.
Some people really giving LTT the benefit of the doubt despite all the tech screwups they showcase. Going to stick with got sent a "sponsorship" PDF, and someone couldn't keep their greedy fingers off of it. That would be the most fitting, and also funny.

it wasn't actually a pdf. it was a screensaver file that apparently for some reason gets higher level access within windows but shows up as a browser file so the person who was new'ish clicked on it thinking it was legitimate because the sponsor request looked 100% legit along with the email address it came from. shit happens, everything was restored, but hopefully some changes can finally be implemented within googles account security that'll help out the smaller channels that are still suffering from this exploit every day. going after linus's channels likely going to backfire on them and close the loophole they've been abusing for the last 6-7 months now.

you mean the staged video of him being a dick to his employee's?
Video is based on a reddit post, which you can argue is staging.
or the fact that every single one of his employee's came out and said that shit was taken out of context and that none of them have a problem with Linus?
Every one of them? Also where did you see this?
oh yeah the whole piracy thing when some one asked him what his opinion was on adblocking as a creator where after he made the statement then said he didn't care if people used it or not nor did he enforce any of his employee's not to use it but you know that obviously didn't matter now did it?
He changed his opinion on it after all the backlash?
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxIBLj5I79Np9YnNkLN39B4dByOuPuxXJ6
that's fine if you don't like the guy but ffs take the tinfoil hat off and move on. no one gives a crap about the out of context bs you're spewing in an attempt to justify your jealousy.
I'm pointing out controversies centered around Linus himself over the past years and to me he is kinda a dick. You're just dismissing them with terrible reasons, with the exception of unhappy employee's because that isn't confirmed. Not my fault you have a hard on for him.

Video is based on a reddit post, which you can argue is staging.

Every one of them? Also where did you see this?

He changed his opinion on it after all the backlash?
https://youtube.com/clip/UgkxIBLj5I79Np9YnNkLN39B4dByOuPuxXJ6

I'm pointing out controversies centered around Linus himself over the past years and to me he is kinda a dick. You're just dismissing them with terrible reasons, with the exception of unhappy employee's because that isn't confirmed. Not my fault you have a hard on for him.
Everyone of note will have controversy ba see ed around them. I never seen any real evidence that he treat his employees badly. You take one click bait YouTubers or a reddit post as truth. That's funny given how you loath YouTubers and reddit is nothing but toxic garbage.

Everyone of note will have controversy ba see ed around them. I never seen any real evidence that he treat his employees badly. You take one click bait YouTubers or a reddit post as truth. That's funny given how you loath YouTubers and reddit is nothing but toxic garbage.
Considering nobody can confirm or deny the allegation, I do find the timing a little convenient. How many here would open a PDF from a Email? Nobody who works in tech is that stupid. Also from Linus's video he's not blaming any employee's. Could be that the Email was from a sponsor and Linus jumped on it? The problem with maliciousness and stupidity is they're a little too similar.

How many here would open a PDF from a Email? Nobody who works in tech is that stupid.
LOL. You must not know many people who work in tech, then, because it happens all the time.

Honestly, we get it. You can't stand Linus, and you demonstate this again and again, ad nauseam, in every thread where he's mentioned. Maybe skip one once, for variety.

I find the irrational loathing towards Linus hilarious. So I am just adding some (related to Linus decision making topics) fuel to the fire to get you guys all riled up again 😁 And no I'm not some big fan of his either - just casually watch his channel sometimes and agree with some (not all) of his actions / words.

EDIT:

I think OFaceSIG is onto something too based on the title and thumbnail above:
I don't listen to Stern anymore but I used to. One of the biggest surprises during his career was finding out his haters listened MORE than the people who liked him. Haters, let things consume them. Watch Private Parts. It's a great movie.

Last edited:
Considering nobody can confirm or deny the allegation, I do find the timing a little convenient. How many here would open a PDF from a Email? Nobody who works in tech is that stupid. Also from Linus's video he's not blaming any employee's. Could be that the Email was from a sponsor and Linus jumped on it? The problem with maliciousness and stupidity is they're a little too similar.
You're making a very broad assumption that every person working at a tech company is by default "tech savvy", they have sales departments, video editors, set designers etc.

That said he does say in his video that Google found out it came from one of his "non-video production teams" so there is "blame" there, he simply said he's not punishing anyone over this.

LOL. You must not know many people who work in tech, then, because it happens all the time.
If it happens all the time then none of my passwords with any corporation is safe, because someone is going to inevitably download a PDF with a virus on it and infect the servers. It obviously doesn't happen all the time cause if it did then passwords would become useless.
Honestly, we get it. You can't stand Linus, and you demonstate this again and again, ad nauseam, in every thread where he's mentioned. Maybe skip one once, for variety.
I find it funny that in the past I've defended Linus Tech Tips because a number of people here hate their videos, and now I'm the asshole for pointing out Linus's bad qualities. You people will do anything to seem righteous. Besides the employee unhappiness thing, the other stuff I pointed out is 100% true. He is a shrewd businessman who will do anything to profit, including profit from a crisis. Latest video is a click bait title because people are attracted to negative topics about a company Linus invested in called Framework.

Oh no....

Attachments

• oh-no-anyway.gif
    oh-no-anyway.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
You would never see Kyle acting like these people.
That's because Kyle is (was?) a tech journalist, Linus is a tech entertainer. Look down on Linus all you want, but it is exactly his "stupidity" that makes him relatable to the masses.

That's because Kyle is (was?) a tech journalist, Linus is a tech entertainer. Look down on Linus all you want, but it is exactly his "stupidity" that makes him relatable to the masses.

No Kyle couldn't be that annoying if he tried. Sure Linus is smart but when he squeals and gets all silly like a little girl that's when I can't stand to listen anymore.

No Kyle couldn't be that annoying if he tried. Sure Linus is smart but when he squeals and gets all silly like a little girl that's when I can't stand to listen anymore.
to be fair i don't think most of us here on the forum fall within the demographic of viewers his stuffs aimed at especially if you go into their discord channel..:eek:

i prefer watching video's hosted by Alex, Jake, or Dan but it's understandable that their sponsors will only sponsor stuff that Linus is in.

to be fair i don't think most of us here on the forum fall within the demographic of viewers his stuffs aimed at especially if you go into their discord channel..:eek:

i prefer watching video's hosted by Alex, Jake, or Dan but it's understandable that their sponsors will only sponsor stuff that Linus is in.
At least Linus Tech Tips is self aware and they do make videos of why most people buy something off Amazon. Instead of the expensive monitors, headsets, and keyboards they recommend, most of their viewers tend to buy the cheapest item off Amazon. Though I think this is him doing research on why his viewers aren't buying from their sponsors.

Just to give you an idea.

The shilling crap is so freaking stupid. Linus is know from refusing to review bs products and entirely banned brands that deceive them and the customers.
So? Imagine having to make videos about prying into the privacy of your own house to make a buck. Yeah, I'm good on that. I think there was one where his own employees were screwing around in his house without him knowing. Like...why? If he wants to live his life as a reality show, so be it. I'll still judge him for it.

*Edit* And then it culminates in yet ANOTHER video of someone having to tell how they have to censor his nudity, on his own cameras, in his own house. Like...what?

So? Imagine having to make videos about prying into the privacy of your own house to make a buck. Yeah, I'm good on that. I think there was one where his own employees were screwing around in his house without him knowing. Like...why? If he wants to live his life as a reality show, so be it. I'll still judge him for it.
Who cares? It brings money. You people need get off your high horse. I would love to be able to mimic his personality and make millions.

there are some dumb people in tech. I work in tech, i get to see the data from the quarterly phishing tests we do and you would be amazed how many people, in tech, that should know better actually fail it.

The shilling crap is so freaking stupid. Linus is know from refusing to review bs products and entirely banned brands that deceive them and the customers.
That just means that he shows some level of integrity with his shilling, he's constantly trying to sell stuff in his videos and his own merchandise seems to be decent but way overpriced. More importantly he's an entertainer that portrays himself as an informer and is often not very knowledgeable about the things he's talking about which is reason enough to avoid his videos even if his shtick wasn't like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

Now I'm sure some will read more into that statement than what I wrote so I want to be clear I don't hate him or think that he's a bad person but I also don't respect him and on a personal level find his act annoying. I think a lot of the negativity towards him in a place like this has to do with many of the people here preferring more in depth written reviews/info and he represents many of the worst aspects of the youtube style reviews that have replaced them.

That just means that he shows some level of integrity with his shilling, he's constantly trying to sell stuff in his videos and his own merchandise seems to be decent but way overpriced. More importantly he's an entertainer that portrays himself as an informer and is often not very knowledgeable about the things he's talking about which is reason enough to avoid his videos even if his shtick wasn't like fingernails on a chalkboard for me.

Now I'm sure some will read more into that statement than what I wrote so I want to be clear I don't hate him or think that he's a bad person but I also don't respect him and on a personal level find his act annoying. I think a lot of the negativity towards him in a place like this has to do with many of the people here preferring more in depth written reviews/info and he represents many of the worst aspects of the youtube style reviews that have replaced them.
Pretty much. I don't hate Linus, but I sure don't respect him. He's a monkey dancing for the peanuts. He just gets a lot of nuts...

Sure. He also took Nvidia's money to do an 8k gaming video the day before the 3090 release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back