Linus Media Group YouTube Channels Hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet, I need a 2.5gbe switch. I get the 10gbe, family gets 2.5, peasants :D
can't your family get 10GBe through Link Aggregration techniques?

IEEE 802.3ad link aggregation enables you to group Ethernet interfaces to form a single link layer interface, also known as a link aggregation group (LAG) or bundle.

Aggregating multiple links between physical interfaces creates a single logical point-to-point trunk link or a LAG. The LAG balances traffic across the member links within an aggregated Ethernet bundle and effectively increases the uplink bandwidth.

Maybe. If so then that's some real commitment to have shitty opinions on just about every topic he posts about.
There a foundational truth to drive it almost for sure (i.e. I hate apple for example), but he must know how nonsensical this statement is and just make some Internet hyperbole for fun.

He make a lot of gaming pc build on that channel and yet he recommended the use back in the day of terrible to game with Threadripper system or microserver machine.......worst Microserver machine that run headless Linux server.... Thats a bad human

Tell me you haven't watched his video without watching his video.
There was ZERO crap shilled, no hoodies, no water bottles, no desk mats, yes there was a sponsor for the video but that was at the end of the video and lets be honest even when major sporting events continue on after a tragedy they still show commercials.

I don't know about hater, but if you continue to watch something you dislike so much that's definitely more a reflection of what kind of person you are then the person you're "hating" on.
I don't listen to Stern anymore but I used to. One of the biggest surprises during his career was finding out his haters listened MORE than the people who liked him. Haters, let things consume them. Watch Private Parts. It's a great movie.

Tell me you haven't watched his video without watching his video.
There was ZERO crap shilled, no hoodies, no water bottles, no desk mats, yes there was a sponsor for the video but that was at the end of the video and lets be honest even when major sporting events continue on after a tragedy they still show commercials.
The sponsor at the end was shilling. Him making a video about it is just him capitalizing on this. The smart thing would be not to make a big fuss over this thing as it does happen often.... to them. Especially the details that someone opened a PDF file and used their FireFox and Chrome browsers data to get the password info. This did happen to Linus Tech Tips a few years ago when they lost thousands of dollars to a phishing attack, also known as reading an Email. For a bunch of tech guys, they aren't very good at security, and making this video is just advertising it. More importantly this is just a very quick and easy video for Linus to capitalize on, hence sponsor at the end of the video.

I don't know about hater, but if you continue to watch something you dislike so much that's definitely more a reflection of what kind of person you are then the person you're "hating" on.
Just because someone watched something doesn't mean they have to automatically agree with them. I slow down and watch car wrecks, just like everyone else, and this is the same thing with Linus Tech Tips. Just to give you an idea of what kind of videos they make, they recently uploaded a video on how a cooler might kill your CPU and Intel's new CPU's are cringe. I can't make this stuff up. Linus Tech Tips makes a lot of crap videos that took about as much effort to make as I did to watch. Then there's videos like how he got his hands on a China GPU and actually benchmarked it, which is an interesting video worth watching. The problem is that Linus does deal with the YouTube algorithm, which means they have to upload a lot and often, which means they're making a lot of crap worthless videos just to pay the bills. Doesn't mean I have to like it and respect them for it. Also, Linus does come up often for his dick moves. Remember how he didn't honor warranty for the crap he sells? How he accuses people who block ads of piracy? Now recently there's a video that shows he's kinda a dick to his employee's. Linus is the kind of guy you want to be "hating" on.

IEEE 802.3ad link aggregation enables you to group Ethernet interfaces to form a single link layer int

I have to get one eventually (not cheap enough for my cheap ass yet) because my MoBo has 2.5Gbe > 1Gbe switch > 2x 1Gbe on the NAS w/ LA but for load balancing (for simultaneous inflow/outflow)

But repopulating drives from comp > NAS still takes too long @ 1Gbe

A.k.a. just a whore.

1679678432706.png

Him making a video about it is just him capitalizing on this.
Try to continue the reasoning until that would be a bad thing ? That the very concept of the channel, a behind the scene office show of people that capitalize and monetize their error, would it be loosing data, server chamber taking into fire, too ambitious testing lab endeavour that fail, getting hacked, they have some fiduciary responsibility to hundreds of employees and family.

Obviously everything they do, will have has first mission to make money, but making a video about it and advertising the attack and steps to take when it happens, is not just them capitalizing on it.
For 2 obvious one:
1) Can help other youtuber to avoid the same mistake
2) Put pressure on Google on some possible fix they propose

Which would be more than just them capitalizing on content than 99% of their videos.

they aren't very good at security, and making this video is just advertising it.
There is a reason they heavily implied in the video it was not one of the tech person that got phished, the hack was public and well known, they are a tech channel, advertising by vague implication that it was not him or one other of the tech people is brand control, not damaging.

Last edited:
The sponsor at the end was shilling. Him making a video about it is just him capitalizing on this. The smart thing would be not to make a big fuss over this thing as it does happen often.... to them. Especially the details that someone opened a PDF file and used their FireFox and Chrome browsers data to get the password info. This did happen to Linus Tech Tips a few years ago when they lost thousands of dollars to a phishing attack, also known as reading an Email. For a bunch of tech guys, they aren't very good at security, and making this video is just advertising it. More importantly this is just a very quick and easy video for Linus to capitalize on, hence sponsor at the end of the video.

Just because someone watched something doesn't mean they have to automatically agree with them. I slow down and watch car wrecks, just like everyone else, and this is the same thing with Linus Tech Tips. Just to give you an idea of what kind of videos they make, they recently uploaded a video on how a cooler might kill your CPU and Intel's new CPU's are cringe. I can't make this stuff up. Linus Tech Tips makes a lot of crap videos that took about as much effort to make as I did to watch. Then there's videos like how he got his hands on a China GPU and actually benchmarked it, which is an interesting video worth watching. The problem is that Linus does deal with the YouTube algorithm, which means they have to upload a lot and often, which means they're making a lot of crap worthless videos just to pay the bills. Doesn't mean I have to like it and respect them for it. Also, Linus does come up often for his dick moves. Remember how he didn't honor warranty for the crap he sells? How he accuses people who block ads of piracy? Now recently there's a video that shows he's kinda a dick to his employee's. Linus is the kind of guy you want to be "hating" on.

Funny you bring up the talking about pay thing. That is changing in British Columbia this year and that change was proposed, this month. Meaning that rather quickly (by about Nov 1st, 2026 at the latest) they will not legally be allowed to do that anymore

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2023FIN0017-000274

*note* Linus, LTT and LMG are located in B.C., Canada.

Try to continue the reasoning until that would be a bad thing ? That the very concept of the channel, a behind the scene office show of people that capitalize and monetize their error, would it be loosing data, server chamber taking into fire, too ambitious testing lab endeavour that fail, getting hacked, they have some fiduciary responsibility to hundreds of employees and family.
That video wasn't them doing anyone a favor but their bottom line.
Obviously everything they do, will have has first mission to make money, but making a video about it and advertising the attack and steps to take when it happens, is not just them capitalizing on it.
For 2 obvious one:
1) Can help other youtuber to avoid the same mistake
2) Put pressure on Google on some possible fix they propose
1) They didn't help anybody, and other YouTubers helped them.
2) Google did nothing wrong.
There is a reason they heavily implied in the video it was not one of the tech person that got phished, the hack was public and well known, they are a tech channel, advertising by vague implication that it was not him or one other of the tech people is brand control, not damaging.
You wanna tell people then fine, but you adding advertisement at the end shows that wasn't the purpose of the video. Especially when the video is nearly 15 minutes with ads, which is 101 of YouTube videos and that's to make it 10 minutes or longer. Also in light of recent accusations of Linus abusing his employee's, kinda leads me to believe that this might have been malice. Did you see him make a video about it denying it?

That video wasn't them doing anyone a favor but their bottom line.
Well, arguably, but continue that logic were there anything bad about doing that if that was the case ?

1) They didn't help anybody, and other YouTubers helped them.
It is in the future, how could you say 0 YouTubers will avoid the issue in the next 12 months by having seen that video or not ?

2) Google did nothing wrong.
That not about being right or wrong, some weak security feature cannot be set to off by their users, is that wrong or not who knows, can it be improved yes.

You wanna tell people then fine, but you adding advertisement at the end shows that wasn't the purpose of the video
When does advertiser are the purpose of the video ?

I always found that LTT was more like tech tube for kids and the fact that he shills the products his sponsors tell him to shill always left a bad taste in my mouth.. last quality content he was putting out were the 'scrapyard wars'.

I hope hackers cleaned him out

always found that LTT was more like tech tube for kids
In a way yes, it is colorfull, fast, etc.. but that good for need of constant highly digestible content is getting true for young adult more and more has well nowaday.

In an other way, it is often more about being an employer, creating a business, office drama, house-wife-kids, developing and manufacturing products than how to go fast in a video game, which are arguably way more adult theme

He should still rethink it for the sake of his kids with what's occurred IMO

Not that I'd give a damn, but the cameras I have aren't gonna catch anything like that - I didn't go stupidly excess on the amount, and focused on entries/exits/chokepoints, along with placement/view

He should still rethink it for the sake of his kids with what's occurred IMO

Not that I'd give a damn, but the cameras I have aren't gonna catch anything like that - I didn't go stupidly excess on the amount, and focused on entries/exits/chokepoints, along with placement/view
As it should be. Imagine growing up in a house where you're practically always on CCTV....weird. Then being tracked by all the IoT stuff.

And by the way I mentioned, I'll occasionally watch a video of his if it's demo'ing a product I'm interested in

The last video I watched of his was either the one where he explains where he got duped (cause lulz why wouldn't I want to watch that), or one of the home build videos where he shows all the smart home stuff he buys/installs - because I'm into that stuff too

His videos on his home/smart home stuff only reemphasize to me he is literally retarded with his money - he has to buy and rebuy and rebuy and rebuy - because he doesn't know what he's doing/what he wants/how to do it/offloads it to employees instead of himself

For average Joe, yes. For a millionaire with a lot of stuff thieves could want, not really.

No one wants his stuff. For a known target like him they'd want the camera feed, as shown

He should have known that

Retarded

No one wants his stuff. For a known target like him they'd want the camera feed, as shown
We're going to hack his camera feed! muahahahaha!
[sits naked on chair]
[suction sounds when he gets]
Ok, this sounded a lot better on paper...

I doubt he was actually naked. Probably in his boxers and they blurred it out because it's funny.

Having cameras in your house is pretty weird IMO. I would never do it, but in his case you notice the only feeds he's showing are in the "public" areas of his house where they've been doing a lot of filming and non family members are there a lot. I can understand having them.

The problem is that smart somehow transmutated to mean always online, or "on the cloud". I have no problem with smart devices, as long as they smart enough to keep offline.

Yeah I prefer local to cloud, it can have cloud, as long as local too. For internet interruptions.

I broke my own rule there going with Nest cameras, but that was for consolidation of apps/ecosystems.

I like having lighting as its own system, temp as its own system, camera as its own (in this case same as temp system because consolidate), and misc/other as its own system.

And then throw a smart assistant layer on top for speaker/all in one app control.

There is a reason they heavily implied in the video it was not one of the tech person that got phished, the hack was public and well known
actually they said who it was, it's was one of their guys that's been there for a while. then he goes and tries to describe the method of attack so all the kiddies that watch the show can go google it so they can try for themselves. not sure that was the best idea?

Linus, bro. What are you doing?
Screenshot 2023-03-24 143317.png

wow, i guess his kids must just be use to seeing that by now? i was gonna say "different strokes for different folks" but that doesn't sound too appropriate here?

Yeah I thought the explanation video was good overall for awareness. Most of his viewers probably don't google anyways (if you're point that google search would lead them to a malware page) as these type of viewers get their tech info mostly from Linus and the like.

I agree with him on putting some blame on Google for not requiring a password (to invalidate the stale session token, valid or not) on any kind of update operation. If not time based then validating the session token ip/location from first login location.

The problem is that smart somehow transmutated to mean always online, or "on the cloud". I have no problem with smart devices, as long as they smart enough to keep offline.
Yeah I prefer local to cloud, it can have cloud, as long as local too. For internet interruptions.

I broke my own rule there going with Nest cameras, but that was for consolidation of apps/ecosystems.

I like having lighting as its own system, temp as its own system, camera as its own (in this case same as temp system because consolidate), and misc/other as its own system.

And then throw a smart assistant layer on top for speaker/all in one app control.
What if some of the cloud features are being supported by expensive hardware like 100s of DGX compute stacks? I just now made a realization that some of those cloud edition or SaaS may have been built on top of environments not reasonably accessible to others hosting and managing their own data centers. Could be partially why it’s so hard to get feature parity between SaaS/Cloud offerings and On Prem.

I do know there’s some demands being made of users for feature parity

As it should be. Imagine growing up in a house where you're practically always on CCTV....weird. Then being tracked by all the IoT stuff.
In the 90s-00s it was the same at rich peoples houses, didn't bother the kids at all but was kind of weird lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back