1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. HUNT: SHOWDOWN!Spazee is playing Duos with viewers today, so get in there and let him help you brush up on your skills! - Use your Amazon Prime to sub for FREE to your favorite streamer! If you have an Amazon Prime account, you can link that your Twitch account, and use it to subscribe to your favorite streamer.
    Dismiss Notice

Linksys WRT54G

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by vxspiritxv, Dec 22, 2004.

1. vxspiritxv

vxspiritxv [H]ard|Gawd

Just got one today :D
    Not mine, building a HotSpot for a friend.
    Any ways I have the Sveasoft Satori v4.0 for WRT54G. (my model is 2.0)
    But I would really like to know a few things, before I kill bran new hardware.
    1. Is its web interface somewhat the same?, screenshots?, can I go back to linksys bin easy?
    2. Is the mW safe to change? (heat issues?)
    I don't need any of the extras that come with the sveasoft software, I will be running a linux machine that will do all the VPN and bandwidth junk, but the mW upgrade sounds like a good deal.
    oh and 3. is there something newer out, I downloaded this long time ago and save it to my hd, thought I might get one of these access points some day :p

2. Scheizekopf

Scheizekopf [H]ard|Gawd

Interface is pretty much the same with a bunch of extra settings from what I've seen. I still havent got one yet of my own.

3. Phaedrus

Phaedrus [H]ard|Gawd

I havent updated to any "rogue" firmwares, but I can say the interface for saving and updating firmware is stable and straightforward on the the wrt54g's.

4. Fark_Maniac

Fark_Maniac 2[H]4U

same web interface, downgrading is easy. upping the mW is fine, I have mine maxed

5. sandmanx

sandmanx [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, I've got that on my WRT54G, interface it the same. I have the max output going to an external antenna. I've been running it for a couple of months no with no issues, there is nothing to worry about.

6. SilverMK3

SilverMK3 [H]ard|Gawd

I use the Svaesoft firmware on mine too. I've had no problems at all in the last 6-8 months. I replaced the stock antennas with a single Hawking Tech 6dbi directional antenna and set the firmware to use it for both Tx and Rx. Also bumped the antenna power up to 72mW and I get a good signal through 200 meters of trees.

One thing you should bear in mind when upping the antenna power is that it will change the shape of the coverage area. A directional antenna will have a coverage area like a big, tall donut at the default antenna power. Once you increase the power, though, it will extend the horizontal range but decrease the vertical range; effectively "flattening" your donut. This may be a problem if your router's clients are at higher or lower elevations, you may need to adjust your antenna positioning to compensate. I have not encountered any heat issues, but then again, I live in Canada, eh? ;)

My only complaint with the firmware is that they've replaced the convenient Ping and Tracert interface for troubleshooting the router's connection with a generic web-based "console" that only works sparodically. Other than that, Its much better than the Linksys firmware.

7. vxspiritxv

vxspiritxv [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks for the replys! Got a SMC 6db directional antenna on this unit. As long as my friend gives me the thumbs up, I will "upgrade" it.

-edit-
    Successful upgrade :D
    But now that I searched and read more info about this nice access point, can't wait for that talisman firmware; upgrades it with the speedbooster stuff for free!

8. bigstusexy

bigstusexy 2[H]4U

go to linksysinfo.com (or .org don't remeber which) they have tons of info.

The sevasoft software doesn't address an issue I'm having with the device which is every now and then (with more now than then) it decides that the wireless is going down.

9. vxspiritxv

vxspiritxv [H]ard|Gawd

They were down the day I asked my questions here.

10. satriani5902

satriani5902 Limp Gawd

you can replace both antennas with one antenna?