Linksys WRT54G, WRT54GS, WRT55AG and third party support?

Detonate

Weaksauce
I'm looking to get the best out of my router and I read linksys WRT54G has a lot of third party support. I was considering these three routers and want to know if the other 2 are as popular (firmwares and such). I have the D-link di-624 which dies and disconnects me when I start using p2p programs, so I'm going to make a switch. Can these routers handle a lot of connections in emule without dying? Is speedbooster worth it? Are the other 2 comparable to the great reviews of WRT54G? Thanks. I appreciate it.

Also another question. Is the range good? Cnet reviews on the WRT54GS show alot of concern for range. I need this to reach at least the next room through a wall. Thanks.

THrough one wall? pffff no problem, my WRT54g before I replaced with my D-Link DGL 4300 went downstairs diagonally through a floor and several walls with pipes and wiring and I still got a good signal.

Don't play with the third party firmware but alot of people love using it and get kick ass routers with them.

I've had no problems with my WRT54G. I flashed it witht he sveasoft firmware 5 minutes after it was out of the box. I've had no issues with range, and with the linux based firmware you can raise the output of the natennas if you are having range issues for some reason.

As far as the GS goes, the speedboost isn't really worth it, but the router does have more memory on board so you can do more with it. I'd read up on the sveasoft forum and decide if it's worth it to you.

The 55AG is quite interesting. I haven't looked in a while, but the dual radios could make it one hell of a router to setup a wide network, using the 2.4GHz radio for local coverage and using the 5GHz radio for a longshot to somewhere else.

Back