Linksys WRT54G v5 * PROBLEMS! *

JucyTEC

Limp Gawd
This router has gone wild...

Frequent Slow Downs for No reasons what so ever.

Factory settings to messing with MTU... nothing seems to correct it.

It'll slow down to about 40 kbps and sometimes just stop working.

Brand new, and very slow...

2nd one...

what the hack is going on??

The WRT54G version 5.0 uses completely different operating system than previous WRT45Gs. Its based on VxWorks. I'm not sure about the problem you are mentioning. I would try resetting the router back to factory defaults. Also considering upgrading it to the latest version available on Linksys.com.

^^try that, if it's still slow, try it for a week without the router and make sure it's not your ISP. If it's still the router, get a different one.

Yes, I would upgrade the routers firmware to the latest version from Linksys.com. That should resolve your problem.

i did update my firmware ... and reset it ... and tried again , linksys are trying to be helpful but this router isnt cutting it....

i also had to redo the firmware out of the box

:mad:

Rabidfox said:
^^try that, if it's still slow, try it for a week without the router and make sure it's not your ISP. If it's still the router, get a different one.

What did I say before? It's a peice of shit, buy another brand, they're fucking appliances and they're cheap, brand loyalty is for suckers.

Rabidfox said:
What did I say before? It's a peice of shit, buy another brand, they're fucking appliances and they're cheap, brand loyalty is for suckers.

My WRT54GS v.2 has been rock solid always on for 2mo, not probs. Had it for a year already.

serbiaNem said:
My WRT54GS v.2 has been rock solid always on for 2mo, not probs. Had it for a year already.

Congrats, you're not the OP with the problem. The OP is the one with the problem, these appliances are so cheap, I wouldn't even go to linksys for help, I'd just exchange the fucking thing and be done with it. He'd be running along just fine if he listened to me 2 days ago.

The WRT54G is perhaps one of the best things I have purchase in the last 4 years. It runs flawlessly.

The WRT54G line, up to and including the V4, was/is excellent. Hence the many people here who own that line loving them, or many of us who are VARs/Consultants have installed them by the dozens and loved them. However...some hairbrain at Linksys had the idea of coming out with this V5.0...which is a very stripped down version...not running on a *nix OS, and with only 8 megs of RAM, versus the 32 megs of RAM the prior versions had. (I think one of the first ones had 16 megs...but anyways, 16 was better than 8, and most of the other versions had 32). Maybe it's the beginning of the phasing out of the WRT54G series...since Pre-N/MIMO is taking over.

New rule of thumb..stay away from the Version 5, and stay away from the "GS" models.

Toss the thing...don't bother with it, either get a V4 or earlier if you're on a budget, or get a Linksys SRX Pre-N/MIMO model, or a Belkin Pre-N.

im trying to get a refund of mine and getting a v4 or lower ...

stay away for v5 of the wrt54g

I've noticed that my v5 has been pretty slow. After I change the remote management port the thing craps out everytime. Can't even connect back to it without resetting to factory defaults. STAY AWAY!

Haha. In reference to above, I just called Linksys and the guy told me port 80 is for ftp so make sure nothing else is running ftp. Nothing else? Unless the router is running an ftp server (which it isn't) and the ftp server is listening to port 80 (which is http, duh) then switching remote management to 80 shouldn't matter for an internal router. Man, at least the first guy I talked to knew what he was talking about. Damn you v5!!!

DragonNOA1 said:
Haha. In reference to above, I just called Linksys and the guy told me port 80 is for ftp so make sure nothing else is running ftp. Nothing else? Unless the router is running an ftp server (which it isn't) and the ftp server is listening to port 80 (which is http, duh) then switching remote management to 80 shouldn't matter for an internal router. Man, at least the first guy I talked to knew what he was talking about. Damn you v5!!!

don't even bother calling tech support, I have to call SBC hi-cap all the time, and they make my brain hurt. I also have to call SBC DSL...I've hung up on them so many times, its not even funny to me anymore.

carloswill said:
Did you flash the .v5?
tried it
tried to upgrade firmware
tried to change MTU
tried to change connection settings in windows
tried almost everything...

now i will try a v2.2 , lets see if it works

Back