Linksys WRT54G static IP

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by markland556, Jul 10, 2005.

1. markland556

markland556 Limp Gawd

Well im on the only thing i dont like about this router compared to my D-link. On the D-link you can set up a static IP to a certain MAC address while DHCP is on. I have friends come over and what not that want an IP fast. And they are too stupid to set up a static IP. So what im wondering is if there is a way for my NIC to always get the same address from the router based on my MAC without having to totally set up static networking. The reason i need this is because i need ports forwarded for some programs, but if my IP changes i have to do a lot of work to reset them all. ;)

2. usualpulp

usualpulp Gawd

for static dhcp based off mac you have to use a third party firmware. such as dd-wrt.

3. markland556

markland556 Limp Gawd

thats the firware im rinning right now, where do i go to set it up, i looked and found nothing. :confused: :confused:

4. ObieWan

ObieWan n00b

Administration -> Management. Go down to the Dhcpd section, and put your info into the Static Allocations box. Per the Help:

Static allocations: If you want to assign certain hosts a specific address then you can define them here. This is also the way to add hosts with a fixed address to the router's local DNS service (DNS masq).

The format for static allocations is:
    <IP Address> <##:##:##:##:##:##> <Hostname>