Linksys WRT54G router versions

M

mfm

I recently picked up a Linksys WRT54G broadband router for our home network. Before opening the package, I went to Linksys' web site to find the latest firmware for the router. On their site Linksys lists the WRT54G in three separate sections: v1, v1.1 and v2. Looking at the box it appears that I have purchased v1.1.

Since I have not opened the box and can return it for exchange, I was wondering if anyone knew what the difference was between WRT54G v1.1 and WRT54G v2? It does not appear that Linksys has an "upgrade" option for v1.1 (unless I am missing it). And yes, before anyone asks, I have emailed Linksys about this, but I have not received a response back (despite their 24 hour claim).

Thank! :)

Unless theres something really wrong with the firmware thats in there, I don't see much of a reason to upgrade, simply because if you dick something up you may have a dead router.

That's why I would like to find out about any differences between v1.1 and v2 BEFORE removing the shrink wrap on the box. Both v1.1 and v2 have firmware upgrades, but they are separate. The firmware date for v1.1 is 11/11/03, while the firmware date for v2 is 12/15/03. The fact that the v2 firmware date is more recent by over a month than v1.1 is what has me concerned.

I managed to get through to Linksys' support online chat, and I now have my answers. WRT54G v1 and 1.1 use the Broadcom chipset, while v2 uses a different one (not stated). The firmware for v1.1 and v2 is different because the chipsets are different. I was also told that at this time there isn't an advantage of one version/chipset over the other.

Back