Linksys wrt54g question

cditty

Limp Gawd
I just installed this router. I have internet through roadrunner/timewarner. In my area, a standard account gets 5 meg down and 384 up. When I am connected to the router by cat5, I get about 4800 down. When I use my onboard 802.11g wireless (Asus P5AD2E-Premium) to connect to it via wireless, my connection shows 54meg... But when I run a speedtest I only get about 2 meg down. If I disable the wireless and use my ethernet port, I get 4.8 meg down. Any ideas? I've already upgraded to the latest firmware.

Chris

Welcome to the joys of wireless :) Even though your connection is negotiated at 54Mbps, you'll rarely seen anything close to that. Though you shouldn't be below 5Mbps. But if you add in encryption like WEP or WPA, it gets much, much worse.

I just ran a test here at home on my laptop, connection is 3000/256, router is a WRT54G:
Using an 11Mbps 802.1b connection (WPA) - 1500/233
Using an ethernet connection - 2700/231

There are a few things that might help you, though.
1) If you only have G cards, then go into the wireless settings on the router and change the default mode from mixed to G only. That may help.
2) You can also try enabling frameburst in the advanced options page.

Thanks, I had already set it to g only... But I will give frameburst a try.

Chris

What does frame busrt do exactly? I've never been able to find any information on it.

Frameburst did nothing to help... 2meg on wireless, 5 meg on wire. I would have thought wireless could easily pass at least 5 meg. Any other suggestions?

Chris

Have you tried switching chanells and/or moving the computer closer to the router to see if there might be interferance of some kind in your house? Also, try copying files between a wireless and wired computer if possible, see if you only get 2mbps then as well.

Hope this helps.

atm, the wireless antenna is about 1" from the router. It's showing excellent and 54mb for the connection. I'm at a loss.

Chris

Try moving the router a little farther away than 1 inch. When I was working at Dlink, our rule there was at least 6 inches, no more than 12 inches.

Change the channel, disable any encryption temporarily, any 2.4 ghz phones? When I first got my Linksys router, I didnt know my mom had a 2.4 ghz phone and my speed would vary ALL the time. Sometimes 10 kbps down, sometimes 300 kbps down.

HTH.

Back