Linksys WRT54G oddity

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Fark_Maniac, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Fark_Maniac

Fark_Maniac 2[H]4U

okay, so i've had my linksys router up and running for a couple weeks now and it has been runnign great, up until I flashed it. Before I get into that though, here's my environment:
    • HTPC - WinXP SP2 fully updated - Dlink 802.11b PCI NIC
    • Workstation - WinXP SP2 - Netgear WG311 802.11g v2 NIC
    • Gaming rig - WinXP SP2 - Netgear WG311 v1 NIC
    • Laptop - WinXP SP2 - Orinoco 802.11b Silver PCMCIA
    Each machine was updated and working fine (except for the HTPC). All the 802.11g cards connected at 54Mb/s all the time and had no problems. The HTPC would continuously negotiate from 11 to 5.5 to 2 to 1 Mb/s..not in that order all the time, but would always renegotiate it's speed depending on it was being used.

Then I decide to update it to the latest version for security purposes (2.04.4). I reset it, power cycled it..the works.

Now the HTPC still has it's problems...however now my workstation is having the same problems... It cannot hold a 54Mb/s connection. The only thing that has changed was the flashing of the router. I called Linksys, but their 2nd tier support denies the router has any problem since the 802.11g-v2 NIC connects just fine even though the 802.11g-v1 cannot. The workstation and game station are literally right next to each other, antenaes at the same position.

I know standards are standards...but something is off here.

Am I wrong in continuing to argue with Linksys about this router? No matter what revision of firmware I use, same problems occur.

2. Phaedrus

Phaedrus [H]ard|Gawd

Everytime I've serviced erratic connection speeds on the WRTG54 its been due to interference from other devices. I'm sure you already checked for that though... I've never had problems after firmware upgrades. Reminds me of the client who had his WRTG54 on top of the microwave, next to his cordless phone station, next to his cordlessfax... :p

3. Fark_Maniac

Fark_Maniac 2[H]4U

well, there are only two sources of interference that I can think of. neither changed any before/after the flash.

1) there is a 900MHz cordless on the floor below us. I didn't think 900MHz signals interfered with 2.4GHz signals.

2) I'm in a very cheaply built apartment. Between myself and the router are only two walls, with the router about 35 foot away.

and again, none of the machines have moved before or after the flash. So I dont' get why one starts to go haywire. Only thing I can come up with is the 802.11g-v2 is more sensitive and the router is outputting some sort of altered signal.

which reminds me, what's the best way to ahve my antanaes pointed? right now I have all of them at 45 degree angles.

4. Bunk454

Bunk454 Limp Gawd

http://www.linksysinfo.org

Go here and read as much as you can, good stuff.
    Some of the latest frimware updates from Linksys have caused many users to experience problems with their wireless setups, myself included.

You can also download any of the 3rd party firmware builds from this site, which have been written to correct the wireless bug. I've been running the latest Sveasoft Satori build for a few weeks now and am very happy with the amount of new router tweaks possbile as well as the stability of this firmware.

Hope this helps.

5. Fark_Maniac

Fark_Maniac 2[H]4U

thanks for the link...I'll give the sveasoft a go this afternoon

6. bigstusexy

bigstusexy 2[H]4U

I'm not sure if its just this model and hopefully not the latest linksys trend, I have a problem with my wrt54g that it will just drop its wireless connections from time to time. Just poof gone but the light says that its still working. I've only had that with this and not my befw11s4 I have had a 2.4Ghz phone in the house 2 walls and about 40 ft way (I didn't want it in the house but who listns to me, just wait till they are moved to a wireless card they'll get rid of it then!) and reciently there was a second spread spectrum 2.4Ghz phone added about 1 wall and 15ft away from the base. The problems started way before the second phone got here and the first one was deactivated but eh oh well.

7. viper11885

viper11885 [H]ard|Gawd

I have also had problems with the new firmware update on Linksys' site. Connection was poor and wouldn't sustain a 54mbps connection. Went back to the last version and everything went back to normal.

8. Fark_Maniac

Fark_Maniac 2[H]4U

well, I tried the sveasoft firmware 4.0 for my router...still misbehavin' :(

9. omega-x

omega-x 2[H]4U

try hyperWRT 1.3 and set the power output to 48

i too get negotations down to 1-2 mbit in the same room, but the instant you do anything intensive over it, it skyrockets to 54. power saving mode?