Linksys WRT54G keeps cutting out

Konowl

Limp Gawd
For the last couple of weeks or so, my Linksys router will cut out once every five minutes - well, it will cut out my internet connection. I can still connect to my router when it's been disconnected from the net.

It seems to last long enohgh for MSN to disconnect, and then everything is fine... for 5-10 minutes, maybe 20... then it comes back.

Any thoughts/ideas?

The lights on your modem all stay lit, right?

Have you tried resetting the router?

Try flashing the firmware to the newest version. Make sure its on a decent surge protector. If thats not the problem, return it.

How do you have the connection to your isp set up in the router setup?

This is not going to be real helpful. But in my experience, I've had NOTHING but probelms with Linksys. I had problems like this before and it just went down hill from there. I would try all the firmware and anything you can but don't go nuts on it. Could just be the product :rolleyes: Ehh. i know it wasn't helpful but, just my .02$

flboad said:
This is not going to be real helpful. But in my experience, I've had NOTHING but probelms with Linksys. I had problems like this before and it just went down hill from there. I would try all the firmware and anything you can but don't go nuts on it. Could just be the product :rolleyes: Ehh. i know it wasn't helpful but, just my .02$

Can you suggest another product line with similar functionality but with better reliability?

Depends on what you need. If this is just for your home which i'm assueming. I would say go with Netgear. I'm a netgear fanb0y so i swear by them. Owned by Nortel and nortel makes a great product. The Netgear WRG line you can look at.

For $60-$80 you can get a Wirless 4 port router that you can set and forget.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=541910&Sku=N100-1472 P

You really can't go wrong with it for it being $29 considering ibought mine for $80 ehh go figure.

anyway hope that helps

flboad said:
Depends on what you need. If this is just for your home which i'm assueming. I would say go with Netgear. I'm a netgear fanb0y so i swear by them. Owned by Nortel and nortel makes a great product. The Netgear WRG line you can look at.

For $60-$80 you can get a Wirless 4 port router that you can set and forget.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=541910&Sku=N100-1472 P

You really can't go wrong with it for it being $29 considering ibought mine for $80 ehh go figure.

anyway hope that helps

Well, linksys is owned by Cisco, the who owns who argument is of little weight really. I've only had one problem with my linksys WRT54G, and that was due to it overheating from too much power to the radio. I did that after I modded it with the sveasoft firmware.

Anyways, I'd mod the linksys to the sveasoft firmware as suggested earlier and see if that helps. It may be the cable/dsl modem cutting in and out. I haven't seen any real problems(other than the self created one mentioned above) with my WRT54G, and I find them extremely powerful with the sveasoft firmware.

I agree by all means do what you can to get it working. My case isn't everyones. It could just be a unlucky streak with Linksys.

just don't let it drive you to crazy.

I'm looking into this Firmware you guys are talking about seeing if i can salavage my old linksys router now.

sandmanx said:
Well, linksys is owned by Cisco, the who owns who argument is of little weight really. I've only had one problem with my linksys WRT54G, and that was due to it overheating from too much power to the radio. I did that after I modded it with the sveasoft firmware.

Anyways, I'd mod the linksys to the sveasoft firmware as suggested earlier and see if that helps. It may be the cable/dsl modem cutting in and out. I haven't seen any real problems(other than the self created one mentioned above) with my WRT54G, and I find them extremely powerful with the sveasoft firmware.

Mine works great with the sveasoft firmware, and it worked great with the linksys firmware as well. The sveasoft firmware just adds A LOT of functionality. I bet you cannot find a box with that much functionality with any other brand for that price....

BTW, I dumped my PIX 501 for it...

Back