Linksys WRT54G Hacked...

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Cybiker, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Cybiker

Cybiker n00b

I set up a Linksys WRT54G for my neighbors, but I left the default password and username (Thought both were blank default, or atleast user=administrator)...Well i guess someone hacked into the router or whatnot and changed the wep...and possibly username/pass...is my only option to hard reset the router? What are the default user/pass for the wrt54g? Thanks

2. Qwertyman

Qwertyman 2[H]4U

totally wrong forum, but its admin for password nothing for user name. If they changed the WEP you probably need to hard reset the router. I'm getting pissed that all my damn neighbors have their routers with no passwords or anything, I think i'm gonna go in and change their SSID to PUTAPASSWORDON! or something.

3. mmv

mmv Limp Gawd

hard reset FTW!!1

iblockormove

4. Cybiker

Cybiker n00b

I definately posted this in the networking forum....but thanks guys...still no good though...gotta head over there tommorrow and hard reset

5. Lethal

Lethal ViragoAdmin Emeritus Staff Member

No, you posted this in [H]ot|DEALS and I moved it for ya after someone reported it. ;)

6. morningreis

morningreis [H]ard|Gawd

If you can still login, just connect your laptop to the router with a CAT5 cable and change the stuff back. This will bypass WEP, but it's useless unless if you don't know the login details. You are better off just resetting the router.

Next time just change the SSID AND login details. You can use WEP too, but I think WEP sucks ass, so I use a MAC adress filter. Much simpler, much more secure.

7. versello

versello 2[H]4U

/me raises an eyebrow

8. BBowermaster

BBowermaster Gawd

That simply prevents unauthorized access to your router, it doesn't encrypt content sent over the wireless. Have fun when a packet sniffer steals your credit card number/identity.

9. XOR != OR

XOR != OR [H]ardForum Junkie

Further, MACs can be sniffed right along with the data in the packets.

Takes all of a few seconds to fire up the proper tools and gain access.

10. killa62

killa62 Banned Abortion Poster Child '07

TOTALLY BS
    THIS INFORMATION IS JUST PLAIN WRONG,
    mac address filters are easy to bypass, anyone with half a brain and a packet sniffer and google and a mac address changingtool can easly bypass mac addy filters

11. Erasmus354

Erasmus354 [H]ardForum Junkie

There are definitely way too many people who do not do enough to secure their wireless networks. A friend of mine was at his aunts and was trying to get into her wireless network...instead of asking her how he called me. I asked him what model the router was and I was able to give him access to the network and the router from 200 miles away :rolleyes: I will be the first person to admit I know jack shit about routers and networking, but I was still able to get into their network without even being there.

I told my friend to change the router password and add WEP....his aunt, while I was on the phone with him, told him that she didn't want any password on it at all. She just didn't care how insecure her network was. I tried to explain to her...but she would have nothing of it :eek: That is someone who deserves to get their machine and network hijacked.

On the plus side, there are so many completely unsecured networks that those of use who have moderately secure networks are that much more safe. Why would somebody bother spending 30 minutes breaking into my network when they could break into any of my 5 neighbors completely insecure networks :)

If it helps the default IP for the linksys router is 192.168.1.1, user : linksys, password: admin

12. NulloModo

NulloModo [H]ardness Supreme

It is really their choice if they want to leave it open or not isn't it?

I admire people who are generous enough to leave wireless connections open. Hey, some people are willing to share, some aren't...

13. beowulf7

beowulf7 [H]ardForum Junkie

This reminds me ... in a graduate level wireless security class I recently took, one of my classmates mentioned that one of his neighbors had an open, unsecured wireless router. So my classmate took the liberty of a.) upgrading that router's firmware and b.) changed the default password. :D Technically, what he did was illegal, but he made his neighbor's router a little more secure. ;)

14. drizzt81

drizzt81 [H]ardForum Junkie

Not just techincally illegal, it is illegal. So you left your car unlocked overnight. I took the liberty to change your engine and interior. If you knew who I was you'd sure as heck sue me, wouldn't you?

15. RushFan

RushFan Gawd

I don't know about you but I don't send credit card information over an insecure browser session. When my credit card info gets sent anywhere it's encrypted using the browser (https), so WEP just double encrypts it.

True, MAC address filtering isn't totally secure but it will keep most people out. And if someone is smart enough to use MAC spoofing to get into your network, they're going to know how to crack your WEP key and get it anyway.

16. Z(+)DIAC

Z(+)DIAC 2[H]4U

Can anyone point me in a direction where I will be able to know how to encrypt my network?

17. Qwertyman

Qwertyman 2[H]4U

well if i was them i wouldn't want a person stealing my bandwith. I mean people connect to their network and they don't even know that they are connected to it, since everyone had the same SSID.

It still goes back to having a new car, parking it in a bad neighbor with the window open and the keys in the ignition.

18. drizzt81

Mac spoofing is significantly easier than WEP cracking. To be honest, I would know how to spoof a MAC easily. Cracking WEP would take some time for me to research. However, I get you point that you just need to be more secure than your neighbors.

On the topic of CC information being stolen in transit: It is very unlikely. Considering that an attacker would have to be sniffing your connection for hours on end in order to get a decent chance of getting any useful information (especially if you post a lot on the [H] :D ) I do not know of a single case where information was stolen in transit.
    If you consider that hacking Newegg or someplace will get me a couple of 100,000 CC numbers, it is much less effort per credit card number than sniffing Joe Doe's WLAN connection.

During the security class that I attended a couple of times this fall our professor mentioned that he doesn't even know of a single case where people stole someone's CC while it was in-transit (i.e. submitted through a web form or similar).

The bottom line is that the value of sniffing most people's wireless traffic is close to zero and that there are other ways to get information which require less work per amount of information.

19. drizzt81

Frankly, it is not their choice to make. Most ISPs have a clause in their contracts against theft of service.

http://www.comcast.net/terms/subscriber.jsp
    http://www.cox.com/policy/#aup_1
    So, by not securing their networks and allowing anyone/ someone to access the internet (even free of charge) their are in violation of their ISP's TOS.

20. petvirus

petvirus n00b

Whats really annoying is that the current router i use for some odd reason does not support WEP. I was kinda pissed when i connected it, but i got it for free, and beggers cant be choosers.

by the way, the router in question has a nice BIOS hack that extends its range. google it

21. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat [H]ardForum Junkie

Hello fellow Nutmegger. (Mystic/Stonington here)
    Default user/pass for Linksys's home market product is...
    username:leave blank
    password:admin

Make sure you change it.....so many people never change the default admin password for their routers, and kids have fun driving around screwing with other people's WLANs when they find it open like this.

22. beowulf7

beowulf7 [H]ardForum Junkie

Don't get me wrong, I agree it's illegal.

23. goodcooper

goodcooper [H]ardForum Junkie

WPA-PSK, a radius server, or VPN

most modern cards/routers can at least be flashed to support WPA-PSK

WEP/mac addy filter/disabled dhcp for the casual surfer...

disabled dhcp and change the default gateway address, that'll throw 'em for a loop :D

WEP aren't necissarily easy to crack, i've done it and had a hard time (maybe there are easier tools out there nowadays) but i had to use whoppix live CD and get it working with my IBM laptop netgear G card, and that was the easiest way i could think of to get it...

not necissarily easy, but if you've got the tools... very fast...

most malicious wireless hacking isn't to steal CC #s and SS #s, but to pollute signals, in which case, 1 your house isn't a very big target, and 2 it seems some people are too paranoid for thier own good

24. Outback2k1

Outback2k1 Limp Gawd

If it's been compromised, I wouldn't stop at anything LESS than a hard reset.

25. movax

movax 2[H]4U

True...the WRT54G firmware was GPL'd, who knows if there are variants with backdoors in existence? They could have flashed it with that...but a hard reset wouldn't affect firmware.