linksys WRT54G hacked Firmware

AmIdYfReAk

Limp Gawd
Hello gents,

i am looking at the vast amount of hacked firmware for this little router, and i got to say, alot of them have features i wouldent use at home, but i am considering them due to Wireless DB gains, as well as Though put of the network.

anyones that you guys would recommend at all?

also, i hope it will fix the issue with the router locking up all traffic when you leave a Bittorrent open :/

Thanks again!

heh, i cant go to that Atm, my work's proxy is blocking it :/

i have been hearing alot about DD-WRT... has it ran flawlessly for you?

Yeah, I've got it on all 3 of mine, and haven't had problems with it myself. I've got one at my apartment, one at work for wifi access, and one at my parents place for their laptop access.

DD-wrt on mine, as with a few others.

Looks pretty accross the board for dd-wrt :p

dd-wrt user here. Only had it going 10 days on a v1.1 but no problems.

It finally let me set permanent ips on my lan, so I'm happy now :)

I've been using Hyperwrt-Tofu for the last 2 months, but I used dd-WRT before that since last June.

Not sure about dd-WRT and bittorrent. The newest versions when I ran it still required you to write some startup scripts (easily found through a google search) to decrease the TCP connection lifetime.

Hyperwrt-Tofu comes with the fix already though, but it also has less features than dd-wrt, though it does have the ones I wanted (antenna xmit power increase, static LAN IPs).

i just loaded DD-WRT, and i got to say, it scare the shiet out of me..

it loaded then the router Hung for a wile, then finally came back ( 8-10 mins later ) and i was sweatin bullets for that time too!

thus far it seems to be runnin pritty good, i am running the torrent test right now :) we will see how it comes out tommorow.

Thanks for your suggestions gents, and i will post back tommor with an update

Good luck. I ran the stock firmware on my first wrt for about 5 minutes before I flashed mine with sveasoft firmware(over a year ago) and I've never had any problems with the aftermarket firmware, other than jacking up the power. I took the cover off of mine and slammed a heatsink on the cpu and wifi chips, as they both get pretty hot, and this fixed the problems I had. I wouldn't go much over 50mw without a heatsink, or at least pulling off the cover and letting air get to it.

About bittorrent, I had no probs running a few torrents simultaneoulsy on mine. I have 1meg upload, so it gets a pretty good workout. :D
Mine is a v1.1 (found it for $5 at a thrift store!), not sure how the later versions handle it though.

IanG said:
About bittorrent, I had no probs running a few torrents simultaneoulsy on mine. I have 1meg upload, so it gets a pretty good workout. :D
Mine is a v1.1 (found it for $5 at a thrift store!), not sure how the later versions handle it though.

In the newer Linksys firmwares, Linksys made TCP connection lifetimes something like 2 weeks in a relatively small pool of like 500 connections. With the nature of bittorrent and regular browsing, this can easily make the router think it's being DDoSed or something.

However, with third party firmwares, the problem can be fixed. :D

we'll, i Took off DD-WRT, it dident work any beter IMO, wireless went up ~1DB on my wireless computer, it refused to let the wireless computer connect, and also, it hung when you rebooted the router ( due to config changes ).. and i left it for ~20 mins waiting for it to come back.

I have loaded Hyperwrt-Tofu now, And its simple, it gives a ~5DB Gain on my wireless Computer, and Torrents are not interupting all traffic but i have not been able to clear ~80K/sec...

i am going to keep trying, I will keep you guys posted :)

Btw, i am on a WRT54G V4 :) Support for the V4 was JUST add'd to DD-WRT, so i am sure its just a little bug.

im using HyperWRT it seems to be really nice on my other computer thats on wireless... it used to lose signal with the svesoft (sp?) one i loaded on it and the computer is like 20ft away. tthe on i got on it now HyperWRT is really nice im likeing it alot.

DD-WRT here, love it. Have a VPN server, manual routing tables to join my two networks via the VPN.

Very secxy firmware.

though i have a good setup now, im really curious about this DD-WRT...is it a difforent GUI?....can someone show me a good screenshot?

tonight with a little more time, i will load DD-WRT and give it another Go...

i just got to toy with it a little more i guess :)

btw, Do any of you know if DD-WRT has the DDNS setup on it? i got it setup on the stock firmware. i forgot to look when i had it loaded.

Personally, I prefer the Hyperwrt 2.1b1 - Thibor it has been running my WRT54GS for over 30 days without a reset! I love this firmware, it has performed ten times better then the DD-WRT did on mine originally.

AmIdYfReAk said:
tonight with a little more time, i will load DD-WRT and give it another Go...

i just got to toy with it a little more i guess :)

btw, Do any of you know if DD-WRT has the DDNS setup on it? i got it setup on the stock firmware. i forgot to look when i had it loaded.

yes dd-wrt had ddns on it im running it as well

sandmanx said:
Good luck. I ran the stock firmware on my first wrt for about 5 minutes before I flashed mine with sveasoft firmware(over a year ago) and I've never had any problems with the aftermarket firmware, other than jacking up the power. I took the cover off of mine and slammed a heatsink on the cpu and wifi chips, as they both get pretty hot, and this fixed the problems I had. I wouldn't go much over 50mw without a heatsink, or at least pulling off the cover and letting air get to it.

where did you get the heatsinks for the router ? thanks

morpheus6d9 said:
where did you get the heatsinks for the router ? thanks

I recycled them off some old video cards. Ramsinks also should work well.

I have a WRK54G and it drops the internet connection like there's no tommorow and need a new firmware flash. Anyone know if of differences between the WRK54G and the WRT54G?

qb4ever said:
I have a WRK54G and it drops the internet connection like there's no tommorow and need a new firmware flash. Anyone know if of differences between the WRK54G and the WRT54G?

The wrk is a cut down version of the wrt, and will not run modded firmware. I'd either try flashing it to the latest version, or chunk it out the window and get a different router.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=106

Does dd-wrt still support DDNS? I must have that on my router! I checked the "man" pages but could not find anything in reference to this.

ddns9xk.png

Carloswill said:
Does dd-wrt still support DDNS? I must have that on my router! I checked the "man" pages but could not find anything in reference to this.

ddns9xk.png

Yes, it does. It's under the setup menu.

Carloswill said:
Sounds exciting. I am here. Do I just download v.23?

It depends on your router version. If it's a v1.0-3.1, you can download the standard one. With version 4.0 you need to download the mini, flash with it, then flash from that one to the standard. v5.0 isn't the same hardware and isn't flashable.

I have been running dd-wrt for a couple of months without any issues. Using pptp vpn, Dyndns, port forwarding, 12 pc's behind it, QOS for my VOIP, as well as SIP passing through.

It just works and works well..

Please Help!

I downloaded the v.23 dd-wrt.v23.mini.zip for my WRT54G v.1.1 and unzipped all the files to my local disk and then when into my default Linksys config page. There I did the firmware upgrade by just browsing to the the file dd-wrt.v23_mini_generic.bin.

It flashed the router and then said "upgrade complete" and after that, I lost all connectivity via the router.

I power cycled my modem, router and switch but I get no connectivity. I don't know what I did wrong.

hello all

i was wondering if i could get some help. i just upgraded my linksys wireless b router (was running perfect for the last 4 years) to a linksys wireless g w/ speedbooster WRT54GS.

it was pretty simple to setup since all the computers were already configured....just changed the ssid on the new router and gave it the same wep.

the only problem I am having now is my computer (notebook) in my upstairs office is getting a very weak connection. my router is in my basement and is in the same place as the old b router was....i didnt have any connection problems with that router.

im not sure if i read it correctly but does that thibor firmware upgrade allow me to increase the db level or something? should i go out and purchase some high gain antennas? not really sure why i am getting a "low" connection to my notebook....please help!

^
Since your problem is in no way related to dd-wrt or firmware hacks, it is best you start a new thread. This thread is for firmware hacks.

Carloswill said:
^
Since your problem is in no way related to dd-wrt or firmware hacks, it is best you start a new thread. This thread is for firmware hacks.

umm...i asked if i hacked the firmware can i increase the gain levels. :rolleyes:

Carloswill said:
Please Help!

I downloaded the v.23 dd-wrt.v23.mini.zip for my WRT54G v.1.1 and unzipped all the files to my local disk and then when into my default Linksys config page. There I did the firmware upgrade by just browsing to the the file dd-wrt.v23_mini_generic.bin.

It flashed the router and then said "upgrade complete" and after that, I lost all connectivity via the router.

I power cycled my modem, router and switch but I get no connectivity. I don't know what I did wrong.

Unzipped all the files? There should be a .bin file to unzip and flash with. You did flash on one of the ethernet ports and not wirelessly right? Check and make sure you have a valid ip address(in 2k/xp run an 'ipconfig /all' from the command prompt). Try to ping the router(192.168.1.1) from a command prompt after you confirm you have an IP.

If you tried to flash it wirelessly, you might have bricked it. Search the web for help with recovering from a bricked router.

alkoholik said:
hello all

i was wondering if i could get some help. i just upgraded my linksys wireless b router (was running perfect for the last 4 years) to a linksys wireless g w/ speedbooster WRT54GS.

it was pretty simple to setup since all the computers were already configured....just changed the ssid on the new router and gave it the same wep.

the only problem I am having now is my computer (notebook) in my upstairs office is getting a very weak connection. my router is in my basement and is in the same place as the old b router was....i didnt have any connection problems with that router.

im not sure if i read it correctly but does that thibor firmware upgrade allow me to increase the db level or something? should i go out and purchase some high gain antennas? not really sure why i am getting a "low" connection to my notebook....please help!

It depends on the version of the router. Look here to find out the version of your router, if it's version 4 or older you can run hacked firmware.

sandmanx said:
Unzipped all the files? There should be a .bin file to unzip and flash with. You did flash on one of the ethernet ports and not wirelessly right? Check and make sure you have a valid ip address(in 2k/xp run an 'ipconfig /all' from the command prompt). Try to ping the router(192.168.1.1) from a command prompt after you confirm you have an IP.

If you tried to flash it wirelessly, you might have bricked it. Search the web for help with recovering from a bricked router.

No, I flashed it from a LAN port and have wireless disabled. All the stores only have v.5 routhers so this really sucks! I don't want to lose my beloved v1.1

sandmanx said:
It depends on the version of the router. Look here to find out the version of your router, if it's version 4 or older you can run hacked firmware.

hmm ill have to check that out when I get home...i just got it from the egg the other day

anyways....if it is able to be hacked then will I be able to increase the db gains? it seems like a keep getting a dropped connection with my notebook which is located furthest from the router

alkoholik said:
hmm ill have to check that out when I get home...i just got it from the egg the other day

anyways....if it is able to be hacked then will I be able to increase the db gains? it seems like a keep getting a dropped connection with my notebook which is located furthest from the router

Carloswill is right, if you just got it you have a version 5 which runs vxWorks and not Linux.

Anyway, the modded firmwares (hyperwrt, dd-wrt, probably openwrt) for version 1-4 wrt54g's can increase signal strength, yes.

Guys - I was able to find a version 4 from my mom. I purchased her a new v5 and traded her for the v4 but don't want to give up on my v1.1.

Do you guys think I loaded the wrong *.bin?

I downloaded the file called dd-wrt.v23.mini.zip and then I had the following options:

* dd-wrt.v23_mini_asus.trx
* dd-wrt.v23_mini_generic.bin
* dd-wrt.v23_mini_moto.bin
* dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54g.bin
* dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54gs.bin
* dd-wrt.v23_mini_wrt54gsv4.bin

Which should I have installed or did I download and extract the entire wrong folder?

Back