Linksys WRT54G Firmware Upgrade

xdivenx

[H]ard|Gawd
When upgrading a Linksys WRT54G's firmware via the web interface, is it necessary to power cycle the router after the upgrade, or does it automatically reboot without user intervention?

Note: This is in hardware because it concerns the actual piece of hardware rather than the networking/security aspects of it.

It will automatically trigger a soft-reset when you flash the firmware and boot off the new one.

One more question guys.

Does upgrading the firmware reset the configuration? I ask because I am controlling this via the remote web interface and don't want to have to drive out and renable it if I upgrade the firmware.

Does upgrading the firmware reset the configuration?

"Usually no"....if the firmware is not a drastic jump across many versions. So usually it will migrate your settings just fine.

If you have really old firmware and you go to install a much much newer version..it will often resort to factory defaults.

They almost always revert to factory defaults if you flash backwards in firmware.

Note...once in a while they're totally change the platform that the firmware runs on, and even if you have the prior version firmware installed, it will go to factory defaults with the new platform firmware. This isn't very common in home grade routers, and when they do release an all new firmware..in the README that comes with the firmware they will state that it will come back up with factory defaults.

Thanks! I will be checking the readme then!

You guys are awesome.

I usually recommend resetting before and after a flash, especially if it's a large version-change. But, that's just me.

Back