Linksys WRT54G firmware upgrade failure.

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by [H]eckel, Apr 7, 2005.

1. [H]eckel

[H]eckel [H]ard|Gawd

Ok, you guys can make fun of me if you want, but I was in a hurry and thought that I might be able to get away with this.

I was trying to help my brother upgrade the firmware on his router and thought that it would be faster to just do it myself remotely, rather than trying to explain the process to him.

It all seemed to be working fine, until a little over halfway through the upgrade, I got a "firmware upgrade failure" message and now the router is completely unresponsive.

I'm guessing the problem came from the bin file being locally on my computer while I was upgrading the router remotely.

Anyway, is there any way to fix this? We can't even ping the router now.

I had him unplug it and reset it and its still not responding.

Maybe Walmart will take it back. :)

2. versello

versello 2[H]4U

There's a very good website on the net complete with pictures that tells you how to revive a dead WRT54G. I unfortunately never bookmarked it, but it involved the following:

1. Unplugging the unit.
    2. Taking it completely apart (it's easy - screwless design)
    3. Locate pins 15-16 on the router's chipset (usually labeled Broadcom).
    4. Short the pins. While shorting them, plug the power in.
    5. You'll see lights flash.
    6. You'll have a small window of opportunity to TFTP a working firmware to the router.

I could ellaborate some more, but I have to go to work. It really does work. I did it myself after a bad firmware upgrade.

But yeah, it's probably easier if you just got it replaced.

3. kawasaki747

kawasaki747 Limp Gawd

4. [H]eckel

[H]eckel [H]ard|Gawd

Thanks guys. I will have to give this a try.

5. [H]eckel

[H]eckel [H]ard|Gawd

6. Veeb0rg

Veeb0rg 2[H]4U

7. [H]eckel

[H]eckel [H]ard|Gawd

Ok, I have figured a few things out by reading various documents on the net.

I had the set the computer to a static ip of 192.168.1.2 and I can ping the router without any problems.

I then used tftp to copy a new firmware to the router. I used Satori v4 because it worked for someone else and is less than 3 megs, which supposedly is a limit if using tftp for some reason.

Oh, also, I used tftp immediately after a reboot of the router, because apparantly there is a tftp server that runs for a brief period while the router is booting up. The weird thing is that I could ping the router at all times and most of the other "bricked" routers that I was reading about would only get pings during this initial bootup state.

The file copied over successfully and I can still ping the router, but nothing else seems to be working. I still can't get to it through http.

I am going to try to put a different firmware on there and see if it works then.

If anyone else has any other ideas, I would greatly appreciate them.

8. Veeb0rg

Veeb0rg 2[H]4U

i'd try to get it running using the official firmware before i went messing around with "homebrew"

9. [H]eckel

[H]eckel [H]ard|Gawd

10. Veeb0rg

Veeb0rg 2[H]4U

11. [H]eckel

[H]eckel [H]ard|Gawd

Well, I tried to tftp the newest firmware to the router and got an error message during the transfer.

The funny thing is, now when we try to http to the router, it brings up the password box. When we type in the password, it goes to a blank page.

Seems almost as if part of the firmware made it.