Linksys WRT54G alternative firmware

carl67lp

Supreme [H]ardness
The other day I bought the WRT54G to use in my apartment, sharing the connection amongst four of us. I'm the only one who doesn't use my cell as my primary phone; instead, I use Vonage. I bought the WRT54G to be able to use QoS features, since my roomies aren't always good about keeping the cable line de-saturated with their downloads.

I know about the Sveasoft firmware, but after doing some reading I'm hearing some bad things about their business practices (GPL and whatnot). I don't mind paying $20 to get the good stuff, but I don't want to pay it if I can otherwise legally aquire the same thing.

I do not want to get into even somewhat gray areas here, since I'd rather get good quality advice. Please don't tell me to look on P2P sites or the like. (That's what PMs are for. ;)) But seriously, what are my options to enable QoS, and make use of some other cool options on my new router?

Oh yes, almost forgot: Some instructions on what I need to do would also be helpful. I've done firmware upgrades, of course, but if there's some esoteric method for doing things, please let me know that, too.

JBark said:
http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Forums
and
http://forum.bsr-clan.de/viewforum.php?f=12

More info than you'll ever need. I like the DD-WRT firmware the best out of the alternative firmware, but the linksys firmware has been quite a bit more stable for me.

Hm...so some of the alternative firmware lacks the stability of the official? That would be a big concern, since I'm not too keen on letting the other roomies in to make modifications, since they're not as skilled in these things as I am. (Not to slight them; more like, protect them from themselves. ;))

To those who have mentioned various firmware sources, is there a reason to pick one over another?

Will flash to HyperWRT delete all my MAC permissions, Port forwards, Triggers etc. This is so i dont have to take 30 min writing all my settings down..

Well, I'm home now, and have just opened up the router's box. I think I'll go with the HyperWRT to start, and see if that works out for me. Thanks for the tips, and keep 'em coming!

I just flashed my router in my dorm room to the hyperwrt.....and boosted the wireless strength...sweet deal :D I used to not be able to get good wireless outside of my dorm room...now I can walk all the way down the hallway on my floor (prolly 60 feet through heavy concrete walls) and get good reception so thats cool

:cool:

draconius said:
I just flashed my router in my dorm room to the hyperwrt.....and boosted the wireless strength...sweet deal :D I used to not be able to get good wireless outside of my dorm room...now I can walk all the way down the hallway on my floor (prolly 60 feet through heavy concrete walls) and get good reception so thats cool

:cool:

Could you post a screen capture of the place you increased the range on? I'm interested in doing this.

I am going to install the other firmware ass soon as i get home from class, i will let netstumbler run and see how big the change is after I the router is reset. Hopefully I will see a "Real time" change.

The most recent firmware does QoS natively and worked well for my Vonage.

For what its worth, I have Sveasoft's Satori firmware on mine now, I wanted to use pptp VPN. It doesn't work. It connects, but I think there's something wrong with the routhing. The QoS in this version also works, but it was harder to setup.

The newest Linksys router wasn't working with encryption for me, but the Sveasoft one works fine.

Back