Linksys WRT 1900 ACS with Express VPN but missing some features ?

zillah

Limp Gawd
Dear Experts

I am using Express VPN on my Linksys WRT 1900 ACS ,,,, and I have to install their firmware

Couple of features disabled when I installed VPN Express firmware one of them like :

1- Parental Controls

https://www.askdavetaylor.com/enable-parental-controls-linksys-wi-fi-router/

2- Port forwarding

Without disabling the Express VPN What suggestion can be done to keep those features as I need them ?Using additional router ?

Thanks

What are you trying to accomplish? Sending all of your traffic through the VPN? Specific device traffic? Please explain what you want to do. Depending on the goal, there may be a better approach, or hardware.

Based on the information provided, you have a couple options to explore:
- See if your router has a DD-WRT or Merlin firmware option. Install that, and use the OpenVPN option if it's available in those firmwares. This should not lock you out of any of the other features of the router.
- Get new hardware capable of doing what you're wanting to do, to replace your linksys. Something as inexpensive as a EdgeRouter X is capable of connecting via OpenVPN server. Pfsense and others can do this too. This gives you more control over features, and what devices traffic passes through the tunnel.

The worst thing you could do is simply "use an additional router". Either fix it using the one you have, or replace it with something else.

What are you trying to accomplish? Sending all of your traffic through the VPN? Specific device traffic? Please explain what you want to do. Depending on the goal, there may be a better approach, or hardware.
I am based in New Zealand and I want to watch Netflix US library
Thx

I am based in New Zealand and I want to watch Netflix US library
Thx
On one device? What type of device is it? Do you intend to route all your traffic for all devices through it?

If it's just your PC, you can use OpenVPN on your PC. If it's something like an Apple TV or a Roku, you'll need the router to do it. In that case, research what I recommended in the first option in my first post. You may be able to install another firmware with OpenVPN, and that is that. Otherwise, look at another device. If you end up going the edgerouter X option, you can turn your existing router into AP mode and handle the VPN on the edgerouter.

Thnaks FNtastic

On one device? What type of device is it?
Only one device is accessing VPN which is Roku.

Do you intend to route all your traffic for all devices through it?
No,,,,,other devices are by passing the VPN.

If it's something like an Apple TV or a Roku, you'll need the router to do it.
Yes it is Roku.

You may be able to install another firmware ...,.
Yes I can install DD-WRT firmware on my Linksys WRT 1900ACS as I tried that while ago.

firmware with OpenVPN
If I try that DD-WRT and OpenVPN,,,,,means router won't lose the parental controls ?
Right now express VPN working perfectly with accessing US Netflix no lacking ,,,,,I am not sure if Open VPN will be same performance as Express VPN ?
I have read that some VPN providers get blocked from accessing US Netflix ,,,,I am not sure if Open VPN is one of them ?

If you end up going the edgerouter X option, you can turn your existing router into AP mode and handle the VPN on the edgerouter.
Wouldn't be same issue ? Once I install express VPN firmware on edgerouter will it lose some of its features ?

Regards

Last edited:
Thnaks FNtastic

Only one device is accessing VPN which is Roku.

No,,,,,other devices are by passing the VPN.

Yes it is Roku.

Yes I can install DD-WRT firmware on my Linksys WRT 1900ACS as I tried that while ago.

If I try that DD-WRT and OpenVPN,,,,,means router won't lose the parental controls ?
Right now express VPN working perfectly with accessing US Netflix no lacking ,,,,,I am not sure if Open VPN will be same performance as Express VPN ?
I have read that some VPN providers get blocked from accessing US Netflix ,,,,I am not sure if Open VPN is one of them ?

Wouldn't be same issue ? Once I install express VPN firmware on edgerouter will it lose some of its features ?

Regards
You'll have to install DD-WRT to your router. Then try with the Express VPN instructions for OpenVPN. Then, check if you get the capabilities you want.

If you don't see the capabilites you need, grab an edgerouter X. I can confirm it has the ability to forward the traffic of a single device over an active OpenVPN client connection. Double check on the parental controls yourself though. I've never had a client need those.

Well you could always use open dns for the parental controls if you were looking to control site access. Still will be stuck without the port forwarding. You could always build yourself a little pfsense FW and use your current router as an AP only... You could get away with a really cheap box and a cheap switch if you have a lot of wired connections..

You'll have to install DD-WRT to your router. Then try with the Express VPN instructions for OpenVPN. Then, check if you get the capabilities you want.

If you don't see the capabilites you need, grab an edgerouter X. I can confirm it has the ability to forward the traffic of a single device over an active OpenVPN client connection. Double check on the parental controls yourself though. I've never had a client need those.
The Merlin-WRT firmware on Asus routers can do this as well (not sure about the stock Asus firmware).

Back