Linksys RV082 problems with email and https

0ldman

2[H]4U
Linksys RV082 on Bellsouth DSL (beginning to hate Bellsouth) works fine on Westel modem using NAT. Replace it with the Linksys RV082 (updated firmware) and email drops, secure websites won't connect, etc.

I've run it with the Westel modem handling authentication as well as the Linksys. Even with the Westel handling PPoE (192.168.1.254)and the RV082 as a DHCP client (192.168.1.1) routing to 10.0.0.0/24 subnet, still can't send email, can't access secure sites. Disabled the firewall, changed the MTU from 512 to 1500 and most everything in between. Ping with the "-f -l" switch fragments all the way from 512 to 1500, then on occasion just magically works. Take the RV082 out of the mix, packet size of 1472 works fine.

I'm beginning to think it may not have been Trendnet that was screwed in this setup, I think Bellsouth has some oddball config.

Any tips?

Why double NAT'ing with the Westell? Ugh. Bridge her, WAN port of the Links wants a pub IP address. Let the Linky do the PPPoE
Manually set MTU at 1492....you want 1492 for PPPoE DSL.

I didn't clarify well enough above, I tried it with the Linksys running PPoE as well as the Westel. With Westel NAT to the Linksys as well as Westel in bridge and the Linksys doing all the authentication, NAT, etc. It was bridged first, I tried Westel handling PPoE and NAT second, just to see if the Linksys was having a problem with Bellsouth PPoE.

Can't access https or send mail that needs server authentication. I can recieve mail, but not send.

I changed the MTU to 1000, it worked briefly, then went right back to the same old...

Running the latest, 1.3.2 I do believe, but I don't have it plugged up at this time. Had to take it down to get them stable.

Seems it has the option to restart with 1.1.16.14.

Is there a difference between the European version and the US? You linked to the Eu.

0ldman said:
Is there a difference between the European version and the US? You linked to the Eu.

So...there's no difference in the RV0 models....nor firmware. I just remember reading over at linksysinfo forums...when the drastically different 1.3.2. firmware came out...with massive performance gains (200 megs throughput now)...a few peeps noticed when they upgraded..they dropped in throughput. Those peeps seemed to be over in Europe..running PPPoA DSL. I've upgraded over 20 of my clients to this 1.3.2 firmware...as well as myself the day it came out..no performance drop.

Linksys is coming out with a new firmware soon...to fix the SACKs issue. However...the 1.1.6.14 was really good firmware also, so you may want to try that..in case BellSouth is indeed "odd". Naturally, when going "backwards" in firmware version...it will reset your router to default. Tis also better to also performance a factory "reset" before flashing backwards in firmware versions.

I have about 20 RV082 units deployed, and aroud 10 RV016 units...no issues like this. Don't have any on BellSouth though.

Loaded 1.1.6.14 from the "restart from backup firmware" option, installed it yesterday. So far so good, but its only been installed for roughly 20 hours now.

Getting ready to ship the RV042 to the other location and get this thing up and running.

Thanks man, I owe you one.

0ldman said:
Loaded 1.1.6.14 from the "restart from backup firmware" option, installed it yesterday. So far so good, but its only been installed for roughly 20 hours now.

Hmm...well, glad it worked. First time I'd seen someone in the states have an issue with the all new firmware..guess BellSouth has something funky where the SACKs issue of the 1.3.2 firmware messes it up.

Just keep a heads up for the soon to be released firmware.

Back