Linksys router

I just got the Linksys BEFSR41 and got everything set up. I thought everything was working fine until i tried to play some online games. Whenever I play UT2K4 or couterstrike or i am assuming anything online, I get major lag. In ut2k4 it will seem to loose my connection for about 10 seconds and I wont be able to shoot my weapon and everything will look like it's running in place and then it will skip ahead and everything will be fine again. It happens about every 5 minutes or so. In cs i will actually lose my connection but in ut2k4 it will just seem like i have an outrageous ping for about 5-10 seconds and then will recover back to normal. I can surf the web and talk online without any problems. From a web browser/aim standpoint it seems everything is fine, until i try playing games online. Any ideas as to what my problem might be or what a first step is that I could try to fix the problem.

Try flashing the newest firmware. Strange, I use a WRT54g with nothing special set and none of my game experience those problems. Could also be a faulty unit as you don't need to forward any ports to connect to a server, only if your hosting.

You can specifically set which programs will run through that router, check to see if by making a direct connection from that game the lag disappears, I believe the settings are under apps/games in the router set up.

The online help for those routers is pretty good so do some digging on Linksys's website, it will probably be covered .

Aye, DMZ the router to your computers IP to see if its some kinda weird port or socket issue just for shits and giggles.

IceWind said:
Aye, DMZ the router to your computers IP to see if its some kinda weird port or socket issue just for shits and giggles.
I enabled DMZ and It is still having some problems. I'm going to try and just let through the app. though DMZ should have covered that issue...

Now it just seems to be random. I played UT2k4 for about 2 hours last night and it worked fine and now this morning I am getting the connection errors in cs:s. Any other idea's?

I'd say its return time. Get the WRT54g like many of us have, I have zero problems with games on that router.

Yeah I had the exact same problem with that router. I also have read about dozens of people with the same problem. If I can remember there isn't anything you can do about it. I would probably get rid of it and get something else.

DoMeHardR said:
Yeah I had the exact same problem with that router. I also have read about dozens of people with the same problem. If I can remember there isn't anything you can do about it. I would probably get rid of it and get something else.
ohh, well if it's defective i will look into something else, thanks for the insight

Back