Linksys Router Help

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Okay - I am replacing my simple home wireless router Linksys WRT54G to a wired only Cisco 2500 series router.

I need to get ready for CCNA and feel that having and setting up my own LAN with this router can't hurt.

My Question is...

Can I still use my Linksys WRT54G router behind the Cisco router to work just like an Access Point only? I love this Linksys router - It has done everything and more for me but I need my CCNA ;)

Where in the Linksys config would I tell the router to just work as an AP and not a router? If this is even possible?

Thank you for any info.

... in case it makes any difference, I am using Firmware Version: v2.02.7

You can sorta follow this using the two routers. It might take you a bit of work.

Linkysys Answer ID 138 said:
Connecting Two WRT54G Routers Together

Question: How do I setup a WRT54G behind another WRT54G?

Answer

WRT54G (First Router) ----------> WRT54G (Second Router)

During this article, the two routers will be referred to as the First router (the main router), and the Second router (the router that you are connecting to the first). The information assumes that both routers are Linksys WRT54G routers both with default factory settings to start; however, if you are familiar with the steps, they can apply to other routers and other manufacturer routers as well. Please contact the appropriate manufacturer for assistance.

Note: Having a “Dual Router Network” can potentially cause unexpected problems during the troubleshooting process if you were to ever have a problem. Be sure to record any settings that are changed during this setup process. Settings that are changed are summarized at the end of this article.

Configuring the “Second” router
With the Second Router powered on, and nothing plugged into any of its network ports, hold in the Reset button on the unit for about 30 seconds.
Connect a computer (it does not matter which one) into one of the numbered ports on the back of the Second Router, then restart or turn on that computer.
Verify that you are getting a Link light that matches the port to which you plugged the computer into. For example, if the computer was plugged into port 2, then the Link light on the front of the router for the number 2 port should be lit.
When the computer finishes its start up, open a web browser.
In the “Address Bar” type http://192.168.1.1 and press the [Enter] key on your keyboard
A box should appear asking for a User Name and Password. Leave the User Name field empty and type your WRT54G’s password into the Password field (The default Password is admin) and click the OK button.
The router's Setup page should load.
You need to change two options on this page:
Local IP Address: change to 192.168.1.2
DHCP Server: set to Disable
Click on the Save Settings button toward the bottom of the page to save changes, and then close your web browser.

Physically connecting the two routers
Unplug the power to both the First and Second Routers.
Take a straight-through network Ethernet patch cable and connect it to a free numbered port of the First Router (1, 2, 3, or 4), and plug the other end of the cable into port 4 of the Second Router.
Plug the power cord first the First Router, and then the Second Router.
At this point, the two routers are now connected and on the same network. Ports 1, 2, and 3 on the Second Router along with the remaining open ports on the First Router are now available for other devices to plug into. You also have another wireless access point on the Second Router. Be sure to change the wireless SSID and channel on the Second Router so that they do not conflict with the First Router .

To recap the settings of both routers:
First Router: (default factory settings)
Local IP address: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: Enable
SSID linksys
Second Router
Local IP address: 192.168.1.2
DHCP Server: Disable
SSID linksys

The Second Router can now be referred to as a Wireless 3-port switch.

Here is the direct link HERE

Cheers,

Back