Linksys network issues...

hitokiri

Limp Gawd
System O/S's: WinXP & Win98(Not 98SE)
Router: Linksys WRT54G
DSL Modem: Westell 2100

I tried to set up a home network today for a relative, but it was not 100% successful. What I wanted to do was to take their verizon dsl modem and connect it to a router and share the connection. I noticed that everywhere on the guides and even router they say to install the cd first, which I did(tried at least). This is not my first network install, but it is my first with linksys.

The modem which is a pure bridge from which I gathered. So, I was able to simply go into the linksys setup (192.168.1.1) and change the settings to PPPoE, password and disabled wireless as both systems connected are directly wired to the router.

The winxp system was detected to be on the router and was able to connect to the internet right away. The win98 system however was not... My question is why? Are there software on the cd that is needed to be installed first? I ask this as for the winxp I did not have to install any drivers/software from the cd whatsoever. On the win98 system, for some reason it would keep freezing the system every time I ran the cd.

On the win98 system I went to the internet explorer connection setup and made it set to LAN. I also thought at first it could of been the wires, so I decided to crimp new wires and still didn't work. This is on a old compaq system if that makes any difference.

Also to add, the win98 system can not even access the router by entering http://192.168.1.1/ into a browser. It also would not ping to the address.

Thanks

- hito

I don't use the CD at all, I still setup router using the good old web admin.
What IP address does the Win98 box get or have? Did you check to see what the TCP was set to?

That's a darn good question... can't believe I was tinkering with everything and didn't check that. I just assumed that it was set up as to obtain an ip address automatically. The winxp system however was addressed to as 192.168.1.100. The router was unable to detect the win98 system to assign it a ip address.

Thanks

- hito

Back