Linksys Dual-band Question...

Soulstice

[H]ard|Gawd
I've had the WRT610N and a couple of WGA600s operating for over two years now.

When I first ever purchased the WRT610N router, it specifically stated on the box that it could use both bands simultaneously, and media traffic could be sent over the 5 GHz range while Web surfing and other such traffic are sent over the 2.4 GHz range.

When I originally configured the router, I had my SSID set the same for both channels, because the WGA600 bridge devices only allow you to enter a single SSID value, but have an option to use "both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz"...

However, last year, I switched my configuration, as I came across conflicting information. Various wireless guides were recommending setting the 5GHz range as a dedicated "N" network operating on the 40 MHz band with it's own SSID, and reserving the 2.4 GHz range as a separate network for mixed devices (assuming one needs to support wireless G).

Never, in any article I have ever read, has there been any mention of the WGA600 bridge devices having the capability to utilize both 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz range simultaneously to increase performance.

For my own sanity, I'd like to gain some clarity on this matter...

Basically, my questions are as follows:

1. Can the WRT610 in tandem with the WGA600s utilize both channels simultaneously to achieve higher overall performance?

2. Regardless of whether or not both channels can be utilized simultaneously by a single device (i.e. WGA600), what are the recommended best practices for configuring the WRT610N in tandem with the WGA600 bridges (e.g. Should I be using a single unified SSID for both bands, or two separate SSIDs?, should I be using the 20 MHz channel, 40 MHz, or set it to auto (20/40)?, etc, etc.)

3. What are some recommended advanced parameters, both on the router and on the WGA600s, that can be set to achieve maximum performance and reliability?

Although file transfer speed it important, my main concern is reducing transmission errors in order to speed up Web browsing. For instance, sometimes I find that my Internet speed tests (run over the wireless network) and network file copy transfers are blazing fast, yet, browsing the Web can be brutally slow (like a page will take 60 seconds to load). Hence, if there are methods I can use to increase browsing speed at the expense of data throughput, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Back