Linksys card keeps saying "Cable Unplugged" and "Cable Plugged". Why?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
So my crappy Linksys NIC says CABLE UNPLUGGED and then gets plugged in immediately. Why? NIC Problem? Cable? Router?

Thanks

my router resets sometimes or soemthing, i don' tknow why.. but i will have that message pop up on more than 1 computer at a time, so i know it is the router... i have a dl 604, but it hasn't done it in a long time..

RavinDJ said:
So my crappy Linksys NIC says CABLE UNPLUGGED and then gets plugged in immediately. Why? NIC Problem? Cable? Router?

Thanks

Honestly, its just a NIC. If the basic troubleshooting won't fix it, replace it. Not worth losing hair over.

Happens to me every now and then as well. Since it really has no effect except for the little notification, it doesn't bother me at all. It has never dropped a connection or anything as a result. I really don't know what is the source of the problem, but then again it is such a minor issue that I'm not going to waste time trying to troubleshoot it either. Unless it is causing you problems, or happening very frequently, I wouldn't worry about it.

Is the cable run over flourescent lighting? :p

I had that problem summer semester, this year. The damn thing kept saying "Connected" "Disconnected" at even intervals. Thought about it for a sec, and moved the cabling away from the flourescent light. Bingo, problem solved. Never had the problem since.

Just look for any signs of interference; i.e.- said lighting, power lines, etc. If that's not the problem, like IceWind said. NICs are inexpensive. Get a replacement. If the problem's not fixed with a new NIC, just get another internet connection and load balance it. :D

Good luck.

~PW

Linksys NIC cards are junk. I just bought a brand new one last week and after testing speeds on my NF7-S motherboard NIC VS the Linksys, the on board NIC was faster. It was also more reliable as well, cause I got that cable unplugged deal too. :rolleyes:

Heh... thanks for the input! I have a couple of the 3Com 905's laying around. Gonna put one of those in...

try changing the speed from auto to 100 half, if it still does it try 10 half..

I've had a few cruddy nics in the past that wouldn't stay connected set to auto..

-scoob8000

I have a box of Asante Etherfast and Linksys Ethernet cards that do this all the time at the office. They are crap. Please replace your NIC.

aphex187 said:
I have a box of Asante Etherfast and Linksys Ethernet cards that do this all the time at the office. They are crap. Please replace your NIC.

NIC replaced, as per your request :D

3Com's working beautifully :)

Back