Linksys 802.11b router trumps Linksys 802.11g router

guitarfly

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I have one of the early Linksys 802.11b routers. I have used it for many years now, and it works great. Recently I purchased a Linksys WRT54G or whatever the Linksys 802.11g router is. The 802.11g router was better for some stuff (802.11b would drop xbox live connections if two xbox 360s were online at the same time. The 802.11g allows both xbox 360s to play online at the same time). However, the internet access (i.e. browsing web sites on my network's computers) was excruciatingly slow. The 802.11b would immediately load pages (as it should...). The 802.11g would take 5-10 seconds longer to actually request the page it appears. In other words, once the page was coming in, it was fast. However, when you click on a link or open a new site in a browser, it would take a minimum of 5-10 seconds longer to start bringing up the page. Sometimes it would take what seems 20-30 seconds longer to start bringing up the page. What is really confusing is this is with the hard-wired Cat 5e network... This occured when I was connected to the wired network.

Any ideas why this was the case? It didn't seem the router was defective, since it worked fine for xbox live and browsing... it was just reeeallly slow for opening pages.

Back