Linksys 4-port router + Linksys 4-port wireless router = work together?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by SarverSystems, Mar 17, 2004.

1. SarverSystems

SarverSystems [H]ardness Supreme

Scenario:

Customer has a Linksys 4-port router, loaded full. Customer buys laptop. Customer wants laptop to be wireless.

Being that the customer already has his 4-port router full, I'd like to get him an access point that has wired ports on it as well. So my question is, can I use 2 routers on the same network? I'd assuem there's be all kinds of headaches with the addressing.

Also, we have DHCP turned off, as I have each computer assigning it's own IP address.

If anyone knows of an 8-port wired with wireless, please let me know.

2. Bunk454

Bunk454 Limp Gawd

You can buy another 4 port router with wireless, and just configure it to by an access point only.

3. djnes

djnes [H]ard as it Gets

Use the wireless router, and then get a regular ethernet switch to put into it. You have tons of expansion for the wired segment, and still offer wireless as well. Then you can turn DHCP back on, and not have to hardcode everything.

4. SlickJesus

SlickJesus Guest

djines is correct.

that's by far the easiest way to do it. 2 routers can be a serious PITA to set up properly. router + switch = easy

5. mjones73

mjones73 2[H]4U

Just tie them together via their switch ports. Connect one of the switch ports on the wireless one with one of the ports on the existing one and make sure DHCP is off on the wireless device and enjoy. Don't use the WAN port on the wireless router.