Linking Wireless Signal via Tomato WRT54GL's to LAN Ports for Virtual Wireless LAN?

cide_

Limp Gawd
Greetings fellow friends,

I recently moved next door to my new IT job. Quite literally, its an old neighborhood with many commercial complexes, and some old houses from the 40's. My company bought the property on both sides of our building incase the future requires expansion and for now I am living there! Woot, no more drives to work!

Anyway,
Our CTO said it's fine if I use the 30MB Fiber Optic broadband for my own personal use at home, However he is not willing to allow me to run CAT Cable to my house. I installed a Wireless Router (WRT54G) using Tomato 1.25 underneath a desk nearest to my Basement Bedroom Window, and am able to receive excellent wireless connectivity VIA Notebooks and other devices throughout my house.

However, My desktop computer does not have a wireless card and I do not plan to put on in due to resource conflicts, and I do not like what Wireless Interferance does ocasionally.

I thought it would be best to goto the store last night to buy another router, this one was a WRT54GL and I flashed it to Tomato 1.25 immediatly.

I attempted to use Access Point + WDS mode as highlighted in this readme http://www.polarcloud.com/tomatofaq (How to use WDS?)

I run a private network using PFSENSE on 10.8.20.* ranges, and there is DHCP. When I connect wirelessly to the router under the desk I receive a 10.8 Address via DHCP which is carried from our primary network/routers to the Wireless Router, And then to me.

However, what I want to do is be able to physically place the second wireless router in my window and optimize antenna Placement to allow myself to physically plug in CAT5 cable and receive the internet/network signals across the 2 wireless points, and into my house.

When I do broadband speed test through wireless I get 20+MB so I am not concerned so much about loss, I just need to get this signal in my house.

Using the instructions i found in the FAQ and my own fooling around I was not able to get it to work. I would get DHCP or even be able to assign my own addresses to my PC, But no LAN or WAN connectivity, In fact, I couldnt even ping the first router while connected to the second router in my room.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong,
But I hope someone here will be of help to me.

I would really appreciate this because understanding where I went wrong in this matter will further my network knowledge and skillset by a good margin!

(I was thinking last night it could be something related to Configuration, I have WAN established as DHCP but the first router never negitiates an address, but the wireless clients connected to it gain pass-through lan addresses assigned by our primary network host.)

Is it even possible to do what I want to do here with these devices?
Is there a better way of going about what I want?

Perhaps buying a N+ Router and a high end card and just dealing with adding new hardware to my PC would be better than running across 2 routers?

What am I missing here? NAT Configurations, hostname configuration? Etc?

Back