Link Between Violent Video Games and Aggressiveness Questioned

HardOCP News

[H] News
Yes there is! No there isn't! Yes there is! No there isn't! Yes there is! No there isn't! Tune in next month for another installment of "Yes there is!" :rolleyes:

There is a long-lasting and at times intense debate about the possible link between violent computer games and aggressiveness. A group of researchers from the University of Gothenburg, Sweden, are now questioning the entire basis of the discussion. In a recently published article, they present a new study showing that, more than anything, a good ability to cooperate is a prerequisite for success in the violent gaming environment.

Seems like for people that veered towards violence or anger naturally, it certainly doesn't help their situation, but for most normal individuals, video games aren't gonna suddenly incite us to kill the pet cat or murder our boss.

^Yea... we don't really need scientists to tell us that though... well... some of us at least.

Ohhh NOES!! I threw the controller once in frustration over a video game.. I'm going to be an axe murderer now!!!

Where's the study that shows playing video games actually helps to soothe anger and frustration from dealing with the public (idiots) all day???

Politicians need to chill out and play video games.

People will find an excuse for anything. Being a jerk? Learned that from the internet. Aggressive behavior? Oh it must be video games. Killed someone? Oh he saw it in a movie?

Any gamer that let's emotion, aggression, interfere with winning a match doesn't get far. They typically have personal issues or are far too immature to fully separate reality from make believe, and that's a parenting issue. I play a lot of GoW, arguably the most violent versus multiplayer out there, and people that can't keep a cool head through frustration, that can't use controlled violence lose matches, often. If the object of a game is to win and winning means keeping cool and under control then training to win means controlling emotions and violent impulses that interfere with the necessary cooperate, teamwork, needed for victory. My friends and I are top tier players. We've been playing GoW for years now and none of us are overly violent. Many are in fact 'nice guys' who look for solutions to potentially violent situations without resorting to violence. We've learned, we've trained our outlook through gaming, that winning a conflict requires far more than force, it requires thought, planning, strats, tactics, control. Without those victory cannot be certain.

Honestly, the only people on my flist that seem overly aggressive, that have comments about 'finding where that kid lives and beating him up' are in the Military and I hope it goes without saying that being trained to kill involves insuring violent tendencies are promoted within individuals by removing certain barriers. Even so, they're also trained to control them in order to cooperate in a group effort and control, discipline, is far more important, far more useful, far more practical that trying to prevent aggressive behavior through avoidance or censorship.

I don't have time to the read the article right now, but i'd assume that the difficulty of the game would have a bigger link to aggression than the violence. When you're winning while blowing people's heads off, you're not breaking controllers :p

Politicians need to chill out and play video games.

The problem is, they couldn't care less whether video games are harmless or the leading cause of murder since Biblical times. All they care about is pandering to people who believe stupid things, so they can act like they're "doing something." Almost none of them have any interest whatsoever in making the world a better or less violent place...it's all about them, their political careers, the power-hungry interests they serve, and expanding the power of government to set precedents which can be increasingly abused on behalf of those interests.

Back