Linda Hamilton Will Return for New Terminator Flick

monkeymagick

[H]News
As reported yesterday, Linda Hamilton is set to return to the Terminator franchise. I'm not sure if she's a techie herself, but she was a resourceful badass with some "techie" equipment in T2. The new film will be directed by Tim Miller (director of Deadpool) and produced by James Cameron. More than 25 years have past since ex-husband and wife worked together on Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Watch out Cyberdyne.

Hamilton starred in the first film, The Terminator, released in 1984 as a low-budget genre play, playing one of the silver screen's strongest female heroines, Sarah Connor. Connor was a waitress who is being hunted down by an unstoppable killing machine, played by Schwarzenegger, sent from the future. Connor learned that in the future, machines have taken over and that she is the mother of the human resistance leader.

Great news for Terminator fans Finally we can get the sequel to Terminator 2 we all deserve. Very excited! Although I like the John Connor resistance story, really though, The Terminator has always been about Sarah's fight. I hope this newer, truer installment can make us forget about the last 2...or 3.

Great news for Terminator fans Finally we can get the sequel to Terminator 2 we all deserve.
How? apparently the fans of T2 thought the movie was perfect, and wrapped up in a bow, no sequel needed.

Which IMO is where that movie failed so hard, now normally I'm not a huge fan of cliff hanger type of endings but lets be real a fucking machine from the future came back in time, twice, and killed a bunch of people. Judgement day was going down, it already happened, the fact they left it with that paradoxical "no fate but what we make" garbage was just tripe for the audiences who Hollywood thinks needed a happy ending.

Say what you will about the quality of T3 at least it had the balls to end it in the right way.

The "issues" with the movies hasn't been the stars or lack of original cast. it has been their story choices. Brining back all the people from the first movie won't make the movie highly successful if they keep up their current trend of writing. Last one brought back Arnold and wasn't that great of a sequel. All they need to go is go back to the roots of the story and create a movie based off of that. Stop trying to create new ways for them to one up anything.

finally a true sequel to T2...everyone can ignore all the other Terminator movies

They just need to leave this series alone or remake it in 30 years from now.

I'm only going to be interested in seeing the newest one if they follow the plotline from that HISHE parody video of the resistance trying to terminate Doc from Back to the Future (the inventor of time travel).

Most likely, it'll be something stupid like the plot has Sarah Connor being sent to the future to terminate Terminators (because, why not? what other alternate plotline/scenario haven't they covered yet?)

Meh, I wouldn't mind some more Sarah Connor chronicles, the movie series' aren't something I look forward to.

I hate tv sci fi but this was actually really good. I was disappointed when they canceled it, especially with the redhead lead singer from Garbage playing a major role.

How? apparently the fans of T2 thought the movie was perfect, and wrapped up in a bow, no sequel needed.

Which IMO is where that movie failed so hard, now normally I'm not a huge fan of cliff hanger type of endings but lets be real a fucking machine from the future came back in time, twice, and killed a bunch of people. Judgement day was going down, it already happened, the fact they left it with that paradoxical "no fate but what we make" garbage was just tripe for the audiences who Hollywood thinks needed a happy ending.

Say what you will about the quality of T3 at least it had the balls to end it in the right way.
So someone isn't a fan of happy endings, I take it?

T2 wasn't even a happy ending. It seemed to settle things, but that was up to your own interpretation.

T3 was a rehash of T2 with a female T-1000 and a "sad ending" (yawn). That kind of copied story writing is what brought us the Force Awakens.

Last edited:
So someone isn't a fan of happy endings, I take it?

T2 wasn't even a happy ending. It seemed to settle things, but that was up to your own interpretation.

T3 was a rehash of T2 with a female T-1000 and a "sad ending" (yawn). That kind of copied story writing is what brought us the Force Awakens.
I don't mind happy endings, the end of T"1" was a happy ending, what I mind is ending that kind of unwrite other parts of the story. But Cameron decided that time travel was going to be his McGuffin, and that's a dangerous gal to dance with. He has this brilliant story arc that that explains where Skynet's origins actually come from, the left over pieces from the first movie, all of it brilliant, then he literally unwrites them all in the ending... "oh yeah well all that technology that made Skynet... poof... doesn't exist anymore", Skynet was destined to fail sending back a terminator in the first place and that part was really ok.

I agree T3 was really just a rehash, but it allowed the whole "universe" to continue to its foregone conclusion which IMO was brilliant and not the cop out that T2 took, I don't care that T3 as a whole was an inferior movie. Regardless of how you think T3 was how many were absolutely fucking amped to see a movie set in the "future" world where robots are killing everything in sight? Now ignoring the fact that the studios absolutely dropped the ball on the movies themselves, that was something everyone wanted to see, and that doesn't happen if T3 doesn't happen.

I don't mind happy endings, the end of T"1" was a happy ending, what I mind is ending that kind of unwrite other parts of the story. But Cameron decided that time travel was going to be his McGuffin, and that's a dangerous gal to dance with. He has this brilliant story arc that that explains where Skynet's origins actually come from, the left over pieces from the first movie, all of it brilliant, then he literally unwrites them all in the ending... "oh yeah well all that technology that made Skynet... poof... doesn't exist anymore", Skynet was destined to fail sending back a terminator in the first place and that part was really ok.

I agree T3 was really just a rehash, but it allowed the whole "universe" to continue to its foregone conclusion which IMO was brilliant and not the cop out that T2 took, I don't care that T3 as a whole was an inferior movie. Regardless of how you think T3 was how many were absolutely fucking amped to see a movie set in the "future" world where robots are killing everything in sight? Now ignoring the fact that the studios absolutely dropped the ball on the movies themselves, that was something everyone wanted to see, and that doesn't happen if T3 doesn't happen.

T2 doesn't wrap things up in as neat of a bow as people think. It wouldn't be impossible to come up with another, not stupid, way to bring the Skynet threat back. Hell, just use modern technology as the jumping off point. T3's ending wasn't ballsy, it was just dumb. The movie didn't earn its "sad" ending, it felt slapped on for no reason other than "Oh, this will shock the audience".

All they need to go is go back to the roots of the story and create a movie based off of that.

...and... also not inject the cancer that is Political Correctness and Everyone Must Live Because We Cant Offend Anyone (onyl men).

oh... and less CG = better.

...and... also not inject the cancer that is Political Correctness and Everyone Must Live Because We Cant Offend Anyone (onyl men).

oh... and less CG = better.

T2 had a character that was non stop morphing. I don't know how we can claim that was the best movie but that CG period is bad. For this type of movie CG is a must. If you want an army of terminators that can only be done as CG. I don't recall any of the movies really going overboard on CG any more than needed. Evil terminator would have been CG, then any battles against armies of terminators, but both of those things were at not over done.

Personally my only issue with any of the movies was that they were doing a shit job connecting them. I wish in this day and age we would just stop rebooting everything every other year if something doesn't go as planned. Just keep going and forget the ones that failed. People didn't like the prequel to star wars, yet we didn't get 5 restarts of that series. They just kept going and ignored the hate. Prometheus was kind of a eh movie to many so they just changed up the sequel some but kept going. Every terminator movie tried to be a reboot with some assumption that you knew the story before the start of that point already. Which I understand part of that is due to realistic time vs movie time. It is hard to make a movie now that states that the world ended in 2002 and have people be as accepting of that as if you change it so that the end of the world is still just ahead of our current time and the event of the movie are the new future.

I can't be the only one here that cringes when I see the word techie.... double cringe factor when it's in quotes.

Oh great, more regurgitated Hollywood garbage I can skip. (y)

Anyone see Edward Furlong around?

T2 had a character that was non stop morphing. I don't know how we can claim that was the best movie but that CG period is bad.

The T-1000 still looks "modern" in terms of CGI quality. That was 25 years ago (1991). Sure its not flashy like today, but in some regards I think it looks more believable BECAUSE it's not over the top like you would expect today. Almost all movies at that time were using models or animatronixs. James Cameron also used those things and would only use CG that looked passable for reality (meaning it had to be better then practical effects). For 1991, it was extremely passable. I can't think of anything previous to that even came close to the integration of live action and CG. Except for maybe The Abyss (1989) with the water worm scene. But of course that was James Cameron as well.

I would really implore anyone to go watch the various behind the scenes videos about Aliens (2), The Abyss & Terminator 2. Cameron is an absolute perfectionist. He's not an admitted story teller, he is an admitted cinematographer. And judging by that, he is exceptional.

"James Cameron doesn't do what James Cameron does for James Cameron. James Cameron does what James Cameron does because James Cameron is... James Cameron."

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
T2 was my favorite of the series. I think movies past 2 were doing the franchise an injustice. T2 ending was pretty clear; no Skynet. You had an aged Sarah Connor at the end saying there was no judgement day. They could have done future sequels in the same universe but with a different or related protagonist.

It's always nice to remember that James Cameron used to make good movies.

What has he made that wasn't good? You may not like Titanic, but would you at least admit that it's exactly what a male cinematographer would make if he made a love story? Maybe he's not the best qualified to make a love film, but if he did make a love film........

And Avatar was a cinematic break through, the story is inconsequential. But I know for many people that is a sticking point.

Avatar is the Akira of CGI. The story is fucked up and and hard to follow, but the attention to detail and love of the art form is unparalleled.

True Lies is still my favorite Cameron movie. It's not his crowning achievement by any means, but it's fun as hell.

Meh, I wouldn't mind some more Sarah Connor chronicles, the movie series' aren't something I look forward to.

That second season got really poor in the middle, almost fell asleep and then they woke the fuck up, cos they were getting cancelled and threw everything in including the kitchen sink in the last 3-4 episodes and upped the 'WTF' ratio up to 10000% for the final episode. So many good story aspects to explore had they got a third season.

Also that season had one of the best main character shock deaths ever. Totally didn't see it coming and neither did he!

T2 doesn't wrap things up in as neat of a bow as people think. It wouldn't be impossible to come up with another, not stupid, way to bring the Skynet threat back. Hell, just use modern technology as the jumping off point. T3's ending wasn't ballsy, it was just dumb. The movie didn't earn its "sad" ending, it felt slapped on for no reason other than "Oh, this will shock the audience".
Of course they could have sequeled off T2, I mean the most obvious bit is "hey simply blowing up a bunch of bombs in a big building doesn't actually destroy as much computer stuff as you'd think" but the way it was written was that "ah ha! We got Skynet now, building went kaboom!" then "lets toss the chip and the arm in the molten metal.... wait my big brother Terminator, you need to die too?! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" (pulls at the heart strings) sure as hell made it seem like they were trying to wrap things up.

I'm going to disagree on T3's ending feeling slapped on, I think it was a great piece of story. A dying dad tricking her daughter into going into the nuclear shelter, and a bit of writing that was conformed more to the time (i.e. the internet), I mean it was no less campy than having a card skimmer that you can put into an ATM and just have it spit out money but it also works for security card scanning to open a vault!

I like the movies mostly but I have missed the chronicles. The problem is, how will they get Sarah back after Game of Thrones?

MV5BMTUwMzUxMjA4MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjA5MTY5MQ@@._V1_.jpg

American audiences don't really like endings that aren't happy. That said, I do agree with you. I don't think it should have ended like a Japanese horror flick or anything but I would have liked to see them fail to stop Judgement day and keep the series going. I agree with you on Terminator 3's ending. Of course, without James Cameron behind the films we saw that that looked like and those efforts were hit and miss at best. Also, with time travel being a consistent theme in the series, they can make as many as they like with each one representing a different possible future.

Terminator Genisys is still my favorite. T2 was fine but the actor playing John Connor was annoying as ....

Genisys has it's moments, but unfortunately, what would have been an amazing revelation with John Connor's future self was out of the bag thanks to the shitty trailers for it. As for John, he is always annoying in the movies. The character seems like he's written to be annoying or it comes down to a deliberate casting choice. So far I think the Sarah Connor Chronicles did it the best.

I love the Terminator movies and Sarah Connor Chronicles. I would love if they brought back Lena Heady to do T:SCC.

Linda Hamilton? She could play a spy that infiltrated the enemy and got too close. But, her son could become a spy and save her. He could be just some schmuck that works at some electronics store... I think it has potential to be one of the best shows on the planet!

I'm loving that the Terminator is coming back. I'm hoping it goes back to the basics. A bad ass motherfucking cyborg that wants to kill a Connor. I want to see that emotionless machine stop at nothing to complete it's mission. And, for the sake of age, etc.. - I want Sarah Connor to die by the hands of a Terminator. It'll make John hate them more, and give him a reason to win the war.

In the Terminator 2 Skynet Edition special features they show the alternate ending where Sarah grows old. Its a scene with Sarah on a park bench watching John swing his child. James Cameron originally didn't want a sequel to Terminator 2 but I think the studio wanted it to be open ended for obvious reasons.

The "issues" with the movies hasn't been the stars or lack of original cast. it has been their story choices. Brining back all the people from the first movie won't make the movie highly successful if they keep up their current trend of writing. Last one brought back Arnold and wasn't that great of a sequel. All they need to go is go back to the roots of the story and create a movie based off of that. Stop trying to create new ways for them to one up anything.

Agreed. T2 was awesome for so many reasons. And it took all those reasons for it to be awesome.

I wish they would just bury the Terminator franchise and move on. Plenty of other sci-fi to be done without retreading the same BS over and over. And over.

And while Sarah Connor Chronicles had good actresses, and occasionally had some decent episodes, on a whole it was wacky. The writing was all over the place.

Want to know why Linda Hamilton hasn't worked since T2? She didn't have to, she got like 70 million in the divorce from Mr Cameron.

Want to know why Linda Hamilton hasn't worked since T2? She didn't have to, she got like 70 million in the divorce from Mr Cameron.

Probably enjoying life outside of the spotlight. Its easy to do where she lived.

Last edited:
Back