Limiting Frame Rate of Games

Nielo TM

Gawd
I need to limit the frame-rate of some games to 30/60 and so far, I've only found FPS Limiter, but having trouble getting it to work. I couldn't find any step by step guide and it seems to be limited to DX9.

One of the titles I'm having issues with is HALO 2. I keep experiencing random frame drops and stutter, which is apparently common. I wish there's an option in CCC/NCP to manually select the frame rate.

I you know of any methods or apps, please let me know.

Thanks

Tried it and HALO 2 continues to drop frames randomly:(. Several people have stated that the problem disappears when frame-rate is restricted to 30, but I'm having trouble getting to run at 30.

Well there's a pretty clear-looking step-by-step guide for FPS limiter here (first Google hit, btw...). Yes, it's limited to DX9, but so is Halo 2 AFAIK.

If you can get it below 60fps (force AA, Transparency AA, SSAO if you've got it, etc.) then Vsync will drop it straight to 30fps.

Several people have stated that the problem disappears when frame-rate is restricted to 30...
Maybe you should be asking them :p

I gave up on H2 - It always lagged/stuttered.
Just doesn't get along with some PCs, for some reason... Ran smooth on my Ti4400 / XP1800+, but I got hit by the stutter bug on every system since. I think the recent update to the Orange Box engine might have cleared it up at long last...

Just doesn't get along with some PCs, for some reason... Ran smooth on my Ti4400 / XP1800+, but I got hit by the stutter bug on every system since. I think the recent update to the Orange Box engine might have cleared it up at long last...

well the reason is because halo 2 is a shitty console port that ms used for a cash grab. I never had the game running properly, one system would be too slow and others would sutter. and the worst part is I already had the xbox version, I just wanted to play the game in high res with a mouse :(
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

If you have an LCD monitor you need to enable triple buffering.

Rivatuner has a lil program in it called D3Doverrider...You can force vsync and triple buffering in any game, which should help with the problem you are having.

Good luck

Well there's a pretty clear-looking step-by-step guide for FPS limiter here (first Google hit, btw...). Yes, it's limited to DX9, but so is Halo 2 AFAIK.

If you can get it below 60fps (force AA, Transparency AA, SSAO if you've got it, etc.) then Vsync will drop it straight to 30fps.

Maybe you should be asking them :p

Halo 2 is a DX10 title because MSFT would only release it for Vista when it came out :rolleyes:

I don't think it even used any DX10 features.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2794

Good read, and explains whats up.

Triple buffering properly enabled, stop games from going to 60, then 30 right away (thats a general view of it ).
I know what triple buffering is. You said you should enable it if you have an LCD. But you should also enable it on a CRT, plasma, LED screen, projector, or whatever else you've got plugged in. Just asking why you mentioned LCDs in particular.

Halo 2 is a DX10 title because MSFT would only release it for Vista when it came out :rolleyes:
It has an artificial Vista-only limitation, but it's DX9. There was a WinXP crack out within a month:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1203571

Try different combinations of "maximum pre-rendered frames" and "triple buffering".

Back