Limited or No Connectivity

melteye

[H]ard|Gawd
I just upgraded a computer's motherboard without reinstalling windows and I am having some trouble getting the computer on the internet:

1) At the home: It says "aquiring network address" then fails and says "limited or no connectivity"

2) At the home: My laptop finds an IP address and works flawlessly.

3) At work: The upgraded computer finds an address fine and works on the internet. So does my laptop...

Why would all computers but his work on his connection yet that same computer works on my connection?

I just upgraded a computer's motherboard without reinstalling windows and I am having some trouble getting the computer on the internet:

Did the user set up the router (or whatever is giving out IP addresses) with MAC filtering by any chance?

Do an ipconfig /all while the upgraded is sitting there as limited or no connectivity.
Check and see if "DHCP Enabled" is set to yes. At this point go ahead and write down (or leave the window open) the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway,dhcp server (only if DHCP was on), and your DNS servers.

Do the same thing for your laptop (after connecting to the same cable). Check DHCP and write down all connection info.

#1 My guess is that your laptop is using DHCP, and the upgrade has a static IP address assigned wrong (and is not using DHCP).
If that is the case, you really shouldn't need all the info above (I'd still keep it written down though). Just go Control Panel- Network Connections- right-click your connection (Probably Local Area Connection) choose Properties- double-click TCP/IP, and choose both boxes to have it "Obtain Automatically". OK out of everything, let it find an IP address.

#2 If the laptop is using a static IP address (and the upgrade is using DHCP), then you probably need to specify an IP address for the upgrade manually. Go into the same place above (TCP/IP Properties) and manually enter the settings from the laptop into the upgrade. Just increment the IP address a little bit (if the laptop's was 192.168.0.4, set the upgrade's to 192.168.0.6 or something similar).
Just in case you are running them both on the same network- incrementing that prevents problems (probably- not sure how your network is setup).

However I think the problem is that your upgrade isn't set to DHCP (#1)- as your laptop works both at work (more than likely using DHCP) and home both.
However... if it comes up with "Aquiring network address" suggests to me that DHCP is enabled as well.... I'd just double check it.
If neither of the above work, just post the output from both ipconfig /all from both machines.

Back