Limited Edition Sega Dreamcast

This thread is all the more absurd as it was originally titled "Sega Saturn."

People can't even get their console generations right, yet this will be a profitable move for SEGA?

What's absurd is your attitude.

Oh NO! I got the title wrong! End of the world.

Only time will tell if Sega will do something about it.

If they don't do anything, no harm no foul.

I wouldn't want a "retro" Dreamcast per se.

Give me a new updated Dreamcast 2 that's backwards compatible with the original Dreamcast, but updated hardware all around. Not just what's mentioned. Everything updated to a modern system.

Better GPU, CPU, RAM, internal storage, the works.

The DC was ahead of it's time when it was released.

Release it with x86 architecture hardware and get Steam on it. :eek:

Give me a new updated Dreamcast 2 that's backwards compatible with the original Dreamcast, but updated hardware all around. Not just what's mentioned. Everything updated to a modern system.

Hmm, interesting.
What would you pay for this DC 2?

$299?

As much as I would like a DC2 I doubt it would be what any of us really want.

To be innovative the DC2 would have to be more retro in design. Eschewing power and embracing a more novelty approach. Competing with anyone in the console space is pointless at this stage.

As a powerful Android box with an awesome controller and custom UI that is gaming centric they COULD do it, and I believe be quite successful with it. Lower prices for hardware and software might be an incentive for gaming purists who are sick of all the LOG IN, WAIT FOR PATCH TO COMPLETE, play game that is just like every other game.

A strategy of upgrading the visuals and content of older IPs would make gaming super fun again. Also being android based they could, perhaps make money up on the backend via mobile sales.

Hell, how about a SEGA box that could have genesis slot, GD-ROM and a new funky cartridge?

Oh man, that would so rock.

So you want a steam box with a DC emulator?

I love Sega and have a ton of stuff for the Megadrive ....but won't this be yet another x86 platform? Granted I didn't read the article.

Probably easier to just have MS add backwards compatibility for it to the xbox one. They did release the windows ce toolkit for it after all.

Probably easier to just have MS add backwards compatibility for it to the xbox one. They did release the windows ce toolkit for it after all.

If I remember correctly though, the CE portion of the underlying OS wasn't used often, or at least not on the more demanding games. I think there was an overhead space shooter that used the CE components, but I think the "bigger" games were written in a lower level method. (I can't remember the exact details, but I know there were options here.)

If I remember correctly though, the CE portion of the underlying OS wasn't used often, or at least not on the more demanding games. I think there was an overhead space shooter that used the CE components, but I think the "bigger" games were written in a lower level method. (I can't remember the exact details, but I know there were options here.)

In the end, I believe they had each game ship with its own OS, so some games shipped with WinCE running them. It wasn't a lot of them but we did get some good stuff like Bleemcast! because of it. Had a VMU dedicated to Gran Turismo 2 saves.

Either way, since each disk was sandboxed with its own OS, I don't think it would be an issue to emulate the underlying hardware on Xbox One if someone really wanted to.

Sega can't make a good Sonic game anymore (at least since Racing Transformed); what makes anyone think they can make a decent console with halfassed support?

I'm all for wishing, but this'll never happen. They might as well turn into Konami 2.0 and turn all their franchises into Pachinko and Slot machines at this point. The Sega we know and loved is long dead, unfortunately.

The more I think about it...

Sega had quite a few cool games. Most of them were arcade games (or arcade ports on their home machines.) However, most of my favorite games on their systems (with a few exceptions of course) were from 3rd party devs. So they just happened to be on the Sega platform.

Granted, I love a good Sonic game, Golden Axe, ESwat, Shinobi, Sega Rally, Phantasy Star, Jet Set Radio, etc... But the games I played most were typical from Namco, Capcom, Treasure, Konami, Technosoft, Renovation, etc. etc. etc.

Makes me wonder just what I would play on a new Sega system. As outlined above, all of their best games are covered on other platforms now, or in emulation.

I do look back fondly at everything from the Master System up, including their arcade machines, but I'm wondering how relevant they'd be now even if they pulled off a miracle of hardware engineering. Still fun to speculate though.

I liked the Saturn more than the Dreamcast.

I thought the Dreamcast was pretty good, but I found it slightly lacking in the types of games I typically play. Still thought it was a well made console though. If it stuck around a little longer, I probably would have found more on it to play. I think I had around 10-15 games for it, and played maybe 5-6 regularly.

I had less games for the Saturn, but I also had the PlayStation and N64 as well, so my gaming was divided between those, and my PC. I think of those three consoles my N64 got the most play (or maybe teetered on the same amount as the PS.)

I liked the Saturn more than the Dreamcast.

I think from a gameplay time standpoint dreamcast was my system. When I got mine I remember Sonic adventure being hands down the most beautiful, fun game I've ever played despite faults in the running breaks. I think I still stand by that. Graphically speaking, even on PC. It was prettier than anything that had come before. I beat all 6 character campaigns. Then I think Shenmue came next? It was that or Phantasy star online. I got shenmue for christmas from the wife. I sat down in a chair and played it for weeks. Then PSO. God the hours I put into that. Almost got a divorce over it.

And thats it. Tons of other games I loved on dreamcast like Resident Evil code veronica, but those 3 games I've never got so much joy out of gaming since.

As for Sega saturn - Its near and dear to me. I loved Dungeons& dragons collection, Shining Force III and then Dragon Force is hands down my favorite game of all time, but I cant think of anything else really put Sega saturn above all competitors. Thats an intensely personal opinion though. To each his own.

Oo I forgot Skies of Arcadia. God that game was impressive for its time.

There are so many reasons this idea does not make sense. Some of them already mentioned in the thread. Sega does not have the cash to pull this off anyway, so add that to the list.

I still have my Dreamcast, and it remains my favorite console of all time. If you want one, try ebay, they are cheap and plenty are available.

A more productive request would be for Sega to start porting more of the games that never made it to non-sega systems. Panzer Dragoon Saga and Panzer Dragoon Zwei for PC is what I want first.

I think from a gameplay time standpoint dreamcast was my system. When I got mine I remember Sonic adventure being hands down the most beautiful, fun game I've ever played despite faults in the running breaks. I think I still stand by that. Graphically speaking, even on PC. It was prettier than anything that had come before. I beat all 6 character campaigns. Then I think Shenmue came next? It was that or Phantasy star online. I got shenmue for christmas from the wife. I sat down in a chair and played it for weeks. Then PSO. God the hours I put into that. Almost got a divorce over it.

And thats it. Tons of other games I loved on dreamcast like Resident Evil code veronica, but those 3 games I've never got so much joy out of gaming since.

As for Sega saturn - Its near and dear to me. I loved Dungeons& dragons collection, Shining Force III and then Dragon Force is hands down my favorite game of all time, but I cant think of anything else really put Sega saturn above all competitors. Thats an intensely personal opinion though. To each his own.

Oo I forgot Skies of Arcadia. God that game was impressive for its time.

Bro... you're forgetting Power Stone. Greatest fucking fighter game to ever release and the only one i've ever been able to get into. I agree with Sonic Adventure. That was the first game I played on my Dreamcast and I was completely floored with how fucking amazing it was. And Code Veronica to this day is my favorite Resident Evil game out of all of them.

IF they made a Dreamcast 2 and launched it with a new Power Stone i'd buy it for $1000. No joke.

pwrstnf.jpg

Yar, not sure if I trust the Coleco thing. It's being made by the same guys who were trying to get the Retro VGS, but from what I understood they weren't able to get funding for it (and their campaign was a bit helter skelter). Now with a more recognizable product name, they could very well release a product now.

As for the prototype image: it reminded me immediately of an Atari Jaguar paired up with a Wii U pro controller.

Yar, not sure if I trust the Coleco thing. It's being made by the same guys who were trying to get the Retro VGS, but from what I understood they weren't able to get funding for it (and their campaign was a bit helter skelter). Now with a more recognizable product name, they could very well release a product now.

As for the prototype image: it reminded me immediately of an Atari Jaguar paired up with a Wii U pro controller.

Yeah, it will prolly be crap if it manifests at all. My point in posting it is that if this can even be suggested then SEGA could theoretically manufacture a console on a similar premise.
Embracing retro ideals and rebooting old games with improved graphics.

When you consider indie and mini games sales on PS4 steam etc, a moderately powerful box could fit in a niche.

Atari sold the Jaguar molds. There are some dental tools with the Jaguar look, too.

fnvu2vu.jpg

I don't mind the Jaguar look, especially with a retro console, but it doesn't give me a lot of confidence. The Jaguar is the only console I felt bad about buying. I only recently bought more games for it (Had Katsumi Ninja as the only game for 2 decades).

The Retro VGS people bought the Jaguar molds. If that group/guy is involved with this project then this is not a coincidence.

Atari sold the Jaguar molds. There are some dental tools with the Jaguar look, too.

fnvu2vu.jpg

I don't mind the Jaguar look, especially with a retro console, but it doesn't give me a lot of confidence. The Jaguar is the only console I felt bad about buying. I only recently bought more games for it (Had Katsumi Ninja as the only game for 2 decades).

Dental molds, hilarious.
I agree 100% about the jag, I wanted so much to love it, and Tempest was fricking amazing. Just a tragic failure.

Bro... you're forgetting Power Stone. Greatest fucking fighter game to ever release and the only one i've ever been able to get into. I agree with Sonic Adventure. That was the first game I played on my Dreamcast and I was completely floored with how fucking amazing it was. And Code Veronica to this day is my favorite Resident Evil game out of all of them.

IF they made a Dreamcast 2 and launched it with a new Power Stone i'd buy it for $1000. No joke.

pwrstnf.jpg

Yes powerstone was great. For the time that game, graphically, had so much going on with no slow down it was crazy. The DC hardware really shined on that game.

Didn't mention Power stone 1 or 2 because if I did I'd have to spam another 20 or so games I loved on dreamcast. Its weird how people mistakenly think Dreamcast didn't have that many games. Theres at least 10 Dreamcast games on my favorite games of all time list.

I don't get it. It's an Xbox that says SEGA on it? What would play on it? Why not just have someone make new chassis's for the original Dreamcast??

I finally found a Alien Verus Predator cartridge at a resale shop. Snatched it up. The controller on the Jaguar was what always got me.

Were there long distance calling charges for using this thing?!?!?

Atari_jaguar_controller.jpg

Back