Limit Ryzen 5900x but Allow PBO

Is there a way to limit max frequency/max voltage while still allowing PBO to run in ryzen 5900x?

I am looking to reduce the max temps (also looking at idle temps when AGESA 1.1.8.0, PBO2 and Offset Voltage come to my motherboard later) which sometimes spike to 85C+ under load. I know it is not a problem, but I would prefer to keep it under 80C. Is there a way to thermal throttle at 80C, cap the max frequency or the max voltage while still allowing PBO to run in ryzen 5900x? I have tried to reduce Max CPU State in Windows Power Plan to 99%, and it plain out disables boosts and stays at base frequency.

CPU: Ryzen 5900x
Motherboard: Aorus X570 Pro Wifi

Sure, just drop the max temp limit in PBO to 80C. That setting is available.
You can do that and still enable curve optimizer to a negative offset drop voltage, which will increase clocks as well. Even with eco mode enabled (65w) on my 5950, I can still set a -5 offset and pickup some extra MHz (usually 25-50).

The two ways I have found to achieve this are:

1) set override voltage manually. I set mine to 1.25 volts and it significantly reduces temps. Down from 81-83 C to 71-74 C in CPU intensive games like COD BOCW, Immortals Fenyx Rising.

2) set max temp limit to 80 C which will throttle down CPU and volts to keep it under 80 C.

I tried curve optimizer and while it works it may not (alone) achieve the sub 80 C goal that you want to achieve.

The two ways I have found to achieve this are:

1) set override voltage manually. I set mine to 1.25 volts and it significantly reduces temps. Down from 81-83 C to 71-74 C in CPU intensive games like COD BOCW, Immortals Fenyx Rising.

2) set max temp limit to 80 C which will throttle down CPU and volts to keep it under 80 C.

I tried curve optimizer and while it works it may not (alone) achieve the sub 80 C goal that you want to achieve.
1) Which option is that? Vcore? Also, what frequency are you getting?

Yes I set my Vcore to 1.25. My processor loves volts. This brought down my CBR20 score down to about 8100 as processor all core boost went down to 4.2 GHz during that bench. However, in games my core boost didn’t change and remained around 4.6-4.7 mark.

Back