LimeRa1n

JacobC1983

2[H]4U
So had anybody tried the new jailbreak for iOS 4.1 devices? Funny how it is released 12 hours before the GreenPoison jailbreak was supposed to hit.

Interesting blurb I found about the jailbreak:

http://gadgetsteria.com/2010/10/09/limera1n-is-available-earlier-than-the-shatter-exploit-oh-gosh/

"Well, Geohot has really screwed everything up this. POsixninja has given 3 options : A) Not release greenpois0n, B) Burn a second bootrom expoit, or C) Break our ETA and implement geo’s exploit

Burning a second bootrom exploit isn’t really recommended, there is a possibility that Apple won’t fix anything, and we can use this in future devices, BUT, limera1n is unstable and the untethered aspect isn’t the best, and isn’t really ideal for older devices. What do you all suggest they do? At this point, it is really hard to say. I know myself, I want to be at 4.1 and jailbroken, but I’ll forgo it if it means there is no release tomorrow. I’d rather have a good release 4 months or whatever down the road, instead of a shotty release now.

Thanks Geohot, you have gone down in the books as a class A douche. Please, don’t donate to this prick"

Last edited:
A lot of people are complaining that it isn't working for them

A couple of people are getting bricked devices/fucked up restores

I used it on my 3.2.2 iPad without a problem.

I am going to do a restore to remove it though -- I have 0 need to be jailbroken other than the desire to play classic games on emulators.

I'll wait for the chronic dev team to release something..

Yea I am reading the same thing, some have terrible problems and some got it working perfectly. That's the usual deal with all jailbreaks though. I wonder if Greenpoison will even be released - that means two vulnerabilities will be outed to Apple.

Yea I am reading the same thing, some have terrible problems and some got it working perfectly. That's the usual deal with all jailbreaks though. I wonder if Greenpoison will even be released - that means two vulnerabilities will be outed to Apple.

Greenpois0n is apparently going to try to fix the bugs in geohot’s release and save the SHAtter exploit for later, presumably after 4.2 is out.

Read that too, I am glad they are taking that route - GeoHot really messed up this one.

This really irked me, how insanely selfish of him to do this..

I'm waiting for the go ahead from the Dev-Team on w/e solution they figure out.

I'm unsure how I feel about this situation

if what geohot says is true, that apple was aware of his exploit and will be fixing it, then what he did makes sense. use up the already 'burnt' exploit and save the good one for a later time.

but at the same time, its half broken and I don't quite trust it..

I'm unsure how I feel about this situation

if what geohot says is true, that apple was aware of his exploit and will be fixing it, then what he did makes sense. use up the already 'burnt' exploit and save the good one for a later time.

but at the same time, its half broken and I don't quite trust it..

Thing is, SHAtter is supposedly unpatchable on current hardware.

How would Geohot know if Limera1n has been caught by Apple before he released? And even if it was caught, he says its unpatchable so who cares if they already know about it? Something about this jailbreak doesn't seem right to me.

On which iphone? This is the first jailbreak for iPhone 4 users and all users with the A4 chip in their iOS device as far as I am aware.

Has anyone tried Limera1n on their iPhone 4 yet?

edit: couldn't wait, went ahead and jailbroke my iPhone 4 and iPad. No problems whatsoever!

Last edited:
I think all the whining by these self-indulgent egocentric little bastards is enough to just ignore the crap they spew from now on. If they're talented enough to find these exploits every time new devices and firmware appears, that won't change with new devices and firmwares in the future.

There will always be exploits, always.

The positioning and ego-bashing all of them do is nothing but childish immature bullshit.

Thankfully I don't own Apple hardware anymore and have moved on to superior products like the HTC HD2... ;)

Decided to give limera1n beta 4 a try. Plugged my iPhone into my Windows PC, ran the jailbreak… nothing.

Guess it’s back to waiting for the OS X version.

It worked perfectly for me, I had to turn off and on the phone, then opened up limera1n icon on the phone.

worked fine for me, hell it even partially unbricked an old 3gs with no imei/iccid, no wifi and bluetooth now i can boot it up just make use of it as an expensive ipod

Last edited:
I’ve got nothing.

Just going to wait for the OS X version. It can’t be too far off.

If I was you, I would download and reinstall ios 4.1 and set your iphone up as a new iphone with nothing on it, then try to jailbreak again.

If I was you, I would download and reinstall ios 4.1 and set your iphone up as a new iphone with nothing on it, then try to jailbreak again.

I’ll do this only if the OS X version fails to work as well.

I’ve got nothing.

Just going to wait for the OS X version. It can’t be too far off.

For some reason you need to have the newest iTunes installed for it to work. I had the same problem and never updated to iTunes 10, I did that and it worked easy.

For some reason you need to have the newest iTunes installed for it to work. I had the same problem and never updated to iTunes 10, I did that and it worked easy.

I’m fully updated on both systems.

Hopefully this means we'll finally get a 4.1 PwnageTool for people like me with old bootrom 3GS.

Worked fine on my iPod Touch 4G 32GB.
Just remember to have iTunes running in the background.

Beta 2 and Beta 4 both worked for me without a hitch.

I have an iPhone 4 that came with 4.0.2 upgraded to 4.1.

I have a iPhone 3GS that i was able to jailbreak with limera1n. everything works like its supposed to. all we need is to PwnageTool to update so i can use the phone part. right now im using it as an iPod Touch and portable gaming device.

selfish? it was for the good of the community. It not only covers more devices than the devteams exploit, but it's also keeping the SHAtter exploit relevent for the next ios firmware/hardware update.

Him doing this was in everyones best interest

selfish? it was for the good of the community. It not only covers more devices than the devteams exploit, but it's also keeping the SHAtter exploit relevent for the next ios firmware/hardware update.

Him doing this was in everyones best interest

SHAtter is supposed to be unpatchable on current hardware. Meaning, it’s an A4 exploit of some type. So Apple would need to come up with a new CPU sometime between now and the beginning of iPhone 5 manufacturing to defeat SHAtter.

Unlikely, to say the least.

Apple doesn't need to come up with a new CPU to patch out a bootrom exploit. That's not how it works. They need a new boot chip to make sure the exploit can't ever be used...but they can also patch iBoot's code and make sure no new devices can use it. This is what happened in the middle of the 3Gs cycle...why some of us have an old bootloader and some have the new. Was there a new CPU chip used halfway through the 3Gs' cycle that I missed? Might want to check the data before making claims as if they were facts...

In any case, what have you seen "chronic" team release other than excuses and busted timelines?
Nothing...which is where all the iPhone 4 users would be today and 3Gs new bootrom users would be indefinitely. Geohot, as egomaniacal as people accuse him of being, released a homerun as always.

Geohot offered his exploit to the chronic team, but they refused. Presumably because they didn't want to slow down the release of their first JB (which incidentally was slated to be tethered). Apple knew about Comex' exploit but didn't completely patch it out. I *think* (but am not sure) that 4.2 had Geohot's exploit patched, which is how he knew he that his exploit was already "burned".

The reality is that Chronic wasn't going to release anything for 3Gs users and Geohot decided to release. It was Geohot's pressure that coerced Chronic into even posting a release date. Chances are we wouldn't have had *any* jailbreak this weekend, but we certainly wouldn't have had one for our 3Gs new bootroms. Limera1n worked for my iphone 4. Haven't bothered with iPad since I'll wait for 4.2.

In any case, you need to run tiny umbrella and start the TSS server while you "upgrade" your phone through iTunes to 4.1. This will preserve your modem firmware in case an unlock comes out some day.

After you do that, run limera1n and follow the instructions. If you don't see the icon, reboot.

If you have a 3Gs on the old bootrom, you don't need this at all. Just use sn0wbreeze with a custom firmware to jailbreak and then use ultrasn0w to unlock (don't upgrade your modem firmware past 5.13.02).

Im fine with staying on 4.0 for now. 4.1 does not really add much besides that game room thing.

I’m just going off the available information.
Are you familiar with linux? In linux (and Windows) the BIOS starts loads the basic drivers into memory and then hands the code to the bootloader. You've seen this in Windows and, if you've used linux, you are probably familiar with two of its popular bootloaders: GRUB or LILO. The bootloaders load executable code into RAM and eventually hands everything off to the kernel.

In the iPhone, the bootloader resides in a ROM chip, but this is different from the CPU. The chip can be updated, but not by firmware flashes. I suspect the ROM could be flashed like a BIOS chip, but Apple doesn't do this because anyone they'd want to do it would refuse and everyone else would just be exposed to possible hardware failure. Hence, bootloaders already in the wild are considered not upgradeable...but that doesn't mean Apple needs to use a new hardware chip or CPU to circumvent bootloader exploits.

In the 3Gs, we experienced some older iPhones having an older bootrom whereas ones on or around November shipped with a newer bootloader version. Apple patched the bootloader exploit, but all devices already in the wild still retained their old bootroms...hence their being "pwned" for life. But everything after the exploit becomes revealed is susceptible to being locked down. That is, so long as people have an iPhone with an old bootloader (pre-limera1n) they will always have the capability to unlock their phone...Apple won't patch the bootloader software on their idevices. But any new bootloader version released now is likely to have the exploit patched out, without any new hardware changes. The speculation is that Apple wouldn't bother because the refresh cycle is almost up...but that doesn't mean they can't.

There are two primary types of Jailbreaks for iPhones/iPod touchs: boot ROM/bootrom exploits and userland (aka software, firmware) exploits.

The "Holy Grail" of an exploit on iDevices is the bootrom exploit because this type of exploit literally happens in a part of the device that cannot be patched (for all intents and purposes) unless Apple were to recall the device(s) to the factory for the fix to be put into effect with a new ROM chip or potentially a new layer of code written to the device's ROM, something that Apple has never traditionally gone to the trouble of doing for many considerations (cost, trouble, etc).

The original iPhone 2G Jailbreak (and to some degree the first working carrier unlock as well) was a true bootrom exploit, hence the original name "Pwnage" because once that device was exploited, it was owned/pwned from that point on with Apple being completely powerless to do anything about it since that recall was never (and never did) happen.

While a bootrom exploit is technically taking advantage of the code in the ROM - the software - it is considered to be a hardware exploit since a simple firmware update can't resolve how the exploit is put into action. It's the one type of exploit that, when found, typically sticks with an entire model of a device (each generation) until the following year when Apple traditionally brings out new models that have new boot ROMs or a totally new architecture.

Userland exploits are software based like the recent one that took advantage of the PDF hole found earlier this year and resulted in the "Jailbreakme.com" website that used that exploit to give root level access right into iDevices. Of course, because it was and still is a userland (read: software/firmware) based exploit, it can and was rather quickly patched with an updated firmware from Apple that addressed the PDF issue - the side effect of the PDF fix negated the exploit and hence it's pretty much useless unless a device is running the old exploitable firmware.

The infighting in the iPhone/iPod touch/iDevice hacking/jailbreaking culture is mostly because a lot of the folks involved don't necessarily like each other, are highly ego-centric, and they're always trying to outdo each other. It's no different from any other hacking-style community as they've always had that kind of attitude - one group beats another to some release of something, a hack, exploit, software, movies, music, etc, always trying to one-up the others, bashing the competition, tossing out "greetz" or whatever.

The fear of someone releasing an exploit is that it might not be exactly what everyone in the community is working on at the same time because of the lack of communication over the specifics but also because some of them are afraid that if they do reveal "their secrets" someone else will just take credit and release something before they do based on their own work. geohot was the first to get the iDevices rolling with the original iPhone 2G Jailbreak and unlock, as well as the work on the PS3 that he's done over the years so, because he keeps to himself he's seen as someone that "doesn't play well with others," you could say.

Genius comes in all forms... and in such spirited competitive communities like the iPhone/iPod touch hacking world, sometimes it actually makes more enemies than friends. Mark Zuckerberg ain't got nothing on geohot in that area... ;)

The speculation is that Apple wouldn't bother because the refresh cycle is almost up...but that doesn't mean they can’t.

Again, I’m simply going on the available information.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just saying the claim is that SHAtter a) exploits the A4, and b) is not fixable without new hardware.

That’s all.

@Bahamut,
Do you think it would have been better for Geohot to not release his exploit even though he says that it was patched in firmware and had every reason to believe it would be patched next bootloader version (a la 3gs)?

Now Chronic dev team is able to keep their Shattered exploit under wraps forcing Apple to use a precious bootloader update on Geohot's exploit.

@Terpfen,
I understand what you're reading. I'm explaining to you why people make that claim. They don't mean Apple *can't* patch it, they mean that Apple can't patch devices that are already sold. Apple will patch Geohot's bootloader exploit next bootloader. They'll patch Shattered after it's released, too.

Apple isn't going to make an iPhone 5 next year, and they aren't changing from the A4 processor anytime soon, but both of these exploits are going to be patched eventually whether there is new hardware or not. None of this will affect anyone's current iDevices.

From here on out, everyone's iPhones, whether they are old or new bootrom 3GS (the only idevices that have been tethered or jailed for the entire last year), are jailbroken for life at this firmware.

Back