Likelyhood of damaging computer motherboard by a damaged/shorted USB peripheral?

postcd

Weaksauce
Hello,

i am having several computers and one USB 3.0 hub (has its own optional power supply) and this hub PCB (printed circuit board) may have short circuit or be somehow electicaly damaged.
How likely it is that when i connect this hub to the USB port of the computer and connect USB flash drive to the hub, i will cause damage either to the computer or the USB flash drive?
If you also know the reason on why damage would cause or why not, i would very welcome it.
Thank you in advance for help.

It may damage the port its connected to or damage the drive. A short is a short. The probability of damaging one or both is pretty high. I would get a new hub.

Take a video of you plugging it all in and post the resulting damage / fire / smoke afterwards.

Most likely it will either destroy the USB stick and/or blow the re-settable fuse for the USB port on the motherboard.

Worst case is that you kill the whole USB controller on the motherboard.

Most motherboards should have over current protection. Chances are I'm to cause any real damage, that said I still wouldn't try my luck.

The only way you'd damage the peripheral I'd if it somehow reversed power or fed 12v instead of 5v through. A short between +5v and GND just means no power makes it to thumb drive. Also a short on the wires should trip over current on PC side and do no damage. As mentioned, I wouldn't intentionally check though.

Back