Likeliness B450 will get support for Ryzen 4000?

Opus131

Limp Gawd
B350 boards got updated, or at least some of them, so there should be hope, right?

where are you seeing b350 got updates for a desktop chip that doesnt exist yet?

where are you seeing b350 got updates for a desktop chip that doesnt exist yet?

Sorry, i meant the b350 got support for the Ryzen 3000. Thus, by the same logic the b450 would get support for the Ryzen 4000. Or at least i'm hoping.

Sorry, i meant the b350 got support for the Ryzen 3000. Thus, by the same logic the b450 would get support for the Ryzen 4000. Or at least i'm hoping.
4000 series hasnt even been announced for desktop yet but i guess its possible. they will probably have to drop support for more chips, the bioses are too small.

I think i heard somewhere that MSI at least will make bioses that support Ryzen 3000 onward only, so they can reintroduce the graphics that were stripped with their latest bios version.

I also heard that support for the current socket is supposed to be extended until the end of 2020, so that means if the Ryzen 4000 comes out this year, as we've been told, companies are sort of obliged to extend support for it on their hardware, or am i getting this wrong?

ive seen/heard the 4000s are coming in the summer. so july, aug, sept time frame. to me it would be smart to launch before back-to-school starts but who knows. only thing you can do is wait.

I mean, it would be nice, but they’re under no obligations to make sure that a 3+ year old motherboard released with a first gen chipset supports third and fourth gen processors.

AM4 being around for at least one more revision (Zen2+ or Zen3, whatever they do next) just means updates are a possibility, not a requirement.

If the bios chips on some of those boards are getting full and support for older processors would need to be removed to make new ones work, I don’t think it’s likely we’ll see bios updates with support.

But maybe certain models will get them. Could also be like how some companies released second revisions of boards when ryzen 3000 came out (MSI had several V2 boards, or the B450 Mortar Max) with bigger bios chips and out of the box support.

I think it is sort of like the socket A days. Early socket A boards and chipsets would not later be compatible with the final Barton core Athlon XP CPUs, though some boards may have been compatible with earlier Athlon XPs on Thoroughbred or Palomino architecture. That being said, I see no immediate reason why B450 would be incompatible with future chips on the socket.

B350 boards got updated, or at least some of them, so there should be hope, right?

there's always hope as long as it's not a false hope.

If your motherboard's BIOS CHIP had enough room in it to allow it to be flashed so that a series 3000 CPU could boot the system then perhaps the hope is not false .

Here's to hoping ... :barefoot:

there's always hope as long as it's not a false hope.

If your motherboard's BIOS CHIP had enough room in it to allow it to be flashed so that a series 3000 CPU could boot the system then perhaps the hope is not false .

Here's to hoping ... :barefoot:
some boards were updated to replace athlon a series apus with ryzen 3000 support. No reason same cant be done for 4000 series support.

I bought a high-end X370 board with hopes of some long millage. Zen2 wasn't quite the jump I was hoping for over my Zen1, so hoping Zen3 is compatible. There are no guarantees though, and board to board may vary.

even if they did, why would you want to. b450 isn't going to support pcie 3 gen 4, and that is one of the big pluses for the 3xxx series and up.

at first it was said that b450 may get bios update to allow it on some models, but then amd said it wasn't gonna happen on b450

im looking forward to b550 or w/e its going to be called.

IMO running a 3xxx would be a stopgap temporary on a b450 until i could replace with an x570 or b5xx when it releases. you miss out too much with the lack of pcie 3.0 gen 4

The only thing i know, is that if i were to buy a B450 NOW, i 'd buy an MSI "MAX" model. Because they have a new BIOS chip, larger, that *should* have enough room for new CPU codes. I have a "non Max" MSI B450 gaming plus and they 've already gone out of available space, using an obsolete looking UEFI and removing some 1st gen APUs, just to be able to fit the 3000 cpus, so i doubt they will support the 4000, because the only way to do it, would be to fork into 2 branches. One BIOS with say 1000 and 2000 series and one with 3000 and 4000 series. I don't know how the situation is with other vendors.

even if they did, why would you want to. b450 isn't going to support pcie 3 gen 4, and that is one of the big pluses for the 3xxx series and up.

at first it was said that b450 may get bios update to allow it on some models, but then amd said it wasn't gonna happen on b450

IMO running a 3xxx would be a stopgap temporary on a b450 until i could replace with an x570 or b5xx when it releases. you miss out too much with the lack of pcie 3.0 gen 4

Except that there are rumors out there that B550 will not have PCI-e 4. It's a budget/mid-range chipset and proper PCI-e 4 engineering usually requires higher quality PCB, usually more layers, and that's not really in the cards for the price range. As it is, PCI-e 4 is nowhere close to being necessary or even noticeable. I'd also say that most of the instances where PCI-e 4 will be useful will be higher dollar propositions and people looking for that aren't going to be purchasing low to mid-range boards.

Except that there are rumors out there that B550 will not have PCI-e 4. It's a budget/mid-range chipset and proper PCI-e 4 engineering usually requires higher quality PCB, usually more layers, and that's not really in the cards for the price range. As it is, PCI-e 4 is nowhere close to being necessary or even noticeable. I'd also say that most of the instances where PCI-e 4 will be useful will be higher dollar propositions and people looking for that aren't going to be purchasing low to mid-range boards.

wasn't talking about pcie 4, im reffering to pcie 3.0 gen 4. b450 has pcie 3.0 gen 3, x570 bumps to pcie 3.0 gen 4. there were talks of enabling gen4 on b450 but amd blocked it from what ive read. atm there aren't really that many gpus that gain from it, but nvme drives do. IMO if i were to build a ryzen 3xxx system that was the main plus vs a 2xxx system. as far as the i/o benchmarks go there are noticeable gains as far as the nvme drives are concerned. (btw b450 and x570 are both currently for the most part are all built on 8/10 layer pcb's)

I do agree with you on actual pcie 4.0, its primarily gonna be for content creators, editors, and people using "many" core systems and workstations.

You use it not supporting pcie 4 as an argument, then say your looking forward to another board that doesn't support it.... The logic is astounding. I think some 450 and 470 will get support, but as mentioned, no guarantee or announcements yet.

I don’t think “pcie 3 gen4” is a real thing. There’s pcie 3, and pcie 4.

Back