Like them or not, Google's Pixel phones will be the iPhone competitor we've demanded for years

I ordered a black 5.5 with 32GB and fi. We'll see how it goes. It's replacing a very worn Note 2, I've waited long enough.

I've got the cash to purchase the new Pixel XL, I got the new phone itch, said F it, let's do it, I went to the Google page, clicked through the options, got it ready to place the order, and then that $769.00 price was just staring me in the face, and I just couldn't pull the trigger, just can't justify to spend $800 on a new phone. Plus I already have the Nexus 6P 64GB and I'm very satisfied with it still, running Pure Nexus ROM.

If the new Pixel XL was similar priced to last years 6P, I'd have pre-ordered it A.S.A.P. at like $550. But $800, I can't do that on principle. That's a very anti-Nexus price for me IMO.

As already mentioned a significant amount of focus was on Google Assistant and it's new (?) features. Did they specifically state which existing devices Google Assistant would be compatible with? Does it require specific hardware, found only in the Pixels / Home, or will it be "back-portable" to any device running Nougat? Perhaps the finance folks at Google are rationalizing the high entry price for the phones by presuming that the public will fall over themselves to add yet another cloud-based, voice-guided personal assistant to their daily life. It strikes me as typical Silicon Valley group-think.

Can someone tell me why Google takes your money right away even though it's only a pre-order.

Can someone tell me why Google takes your money right away even though it's only a pre-order.

No idea. I hadn't noticed. It's standard practice to not charge it until it is in stock. I hadn't noticed that they took it right away. My credit card doesn't update that fast :p

It's only 2-3 weeks away though, so it's not awful, but it is kind of odd.

Dear Google,

Verizon exclusive? Go fuck yourselves. :sick:

No. Verizon/Project Fi/Unlocked in Google Store/Unlocked at Best Buy "exclusive".

Essentially, you can run it on any damned network you want, and the google store offers interest free monthly payments for 24 months (just divide total by 24), so there is really no difference from buying it from your carrier. Just buy it from google and pop your SIM in...

I guess it's because I used a debit card.

You know, there is a good chance I may actually cancel—the receipt, with tax, really puts things into perspective. $800 for a 5" phone? Is that even legal?

I've got the cash to purchase the new Pixel XL, I got the new phone itch, said F it, let's do it, I went to the Google page, clicked through the options, got it ready to place the order, and then that $769.00 price was just staring me in the face, and I just couldn't pull the trigger, just can't justify to spend $800 on a new phone. Plus I already have the Nexus 6P 64GB and I'm very satisfied with it still, running Pure Nexus ROM.

If the new Pixel XL was similar priced to last years 6P, I'd have pre-ordered it A.S.A.P. at like $550. But $800, I can't do that on principle. That's a very anti-Nexus price for me IMO.

Well, it's not a nexus device. Google has made very clear that the Nexus brand and everything that goes with it is dead buried and over. Pixel is th enew brand, and instead of being a "partnership" with other OEM's, this is a designed by google device, just like Apple iPhones are. HTC to the Pixel is like Foxconn to the iPhone.

I'm a little disappointed too. I preferred the Nexus way, but since they have killed and buried Nexus, it should be a surprise that it is not Nexus like :p

You know, there is a good chance I may actually cancel—the receipt, with tax, really puts things into perspective. $800 for a 5" phone? Is that even legal?

upload_2016-10-4_15-56-29.png

Doesn't sound like this is a hit. What the next hackable flagship phone and when is it coming out?

The people doing the event need some more media training some looked very uncomfortable. That said, I bit on the XL 128. My Note 3 acts up too much and I'm tired of running out of space and moving stuff around.

If I don't like it I'll try the iPhone and sell one off later.

Same, been bouncing around on budget devices from my OPO like the nextbit, just passing time till this released...now...thinking about just going back to my one plus one. The whole nexus way of thinking wasn't broken...they didn't need to go Full Apple on us!

All I wanted out of today was a substantial price drop on the 6P, which seemed like a given, but even that isn't materializing. Google pulled it from the Play Store entirely and other retailers aren't budging. Epic fail.
Yeah, I'd like to pick up a 6P at a decent price so I can stay current with Android while still using my 7+ as my main phone. Just gonna have to look for a deal on Swappa or eBay, now.

EDIT: Might get a 5X, instead. A whole lot cheaper on Swappa.

Last edited:
Hmm, AT&T is giving out free iPhone 7s if you switch and have directv. I wonder if I could do that, sell the iPhone, and get one of the unlocked pixels. I was planning on switching anyway, but I was waiting for this announcement first.

Neither of those options allows me to trade in my Note 5 to T-Mobile using my Jump Plan.

So I reiterate; go fuck yourselves Google. :)

Exactly, Fukk off Verizon and your Exclusives. Especially on a nexus / Pixel device, I am shocked Google allowed the worst evil Nazi carrier to have the exclusive on the new Pixel phones. Verizon are known for poor handling of the Galaxy Nexus, with shitty updates, and slightly different software, and delayed security updates. Why Verizon ? WTF Google ?

T-Mobile should be #1, as they have supported the Nexus phones going back to the original Nexus-One, and stocked and sold a bunch of other Nexus phones through the years. Would make more sense if the U.S. carriers that supplied the new Pixel phones were T-Mobile + Sprint due to Project Fi. But not Verizon. You think Verizon will actually push these new Pixel phones over the iPhone 7 and Galaxy S7 ? Uh, that's a big NOPE.

I ordered the Pixel XL from Google Play, upgrading from my Nexus 5.

Apparently people are mad that the Verizon version is locked and that is the only carrier they can get a financed version through? I don't see what the big deal is. As long as the version you get directly from Google is unlocked it seems the same as the Nexus line to me, just more expensive.

Apparently people are mad that the Verizon version is locked and that is the only carrier they can get a financed version through? I don't see what the big deal is. As long as the version you get directly from Google is unlocked it seems the same as the Nexus line to me, just more expensive.
Neither of those options allows me to trade in my Note 5 to T-Mobile using my Jump Plan.
So I reiterate; go fuck yourselves Google. :)

There's one reason. I'm sure there are others.

Do you guys think the XL's battery life is going to be a lot better, even though the screen is running at a higher resolution?

My only options now appear to be: Oneplus 3, iPhone (yuck), or maybe the HTC 10. It's too bad Microsoft didn't prove to be more competitive with the Windows phone, at least that would give me options.

Well... I'm definitely not going to buy any of these. I don't even dare to guess how much these are going to cost with 24% VAT include. I'll wait another year and hope that the upcoming Nokia phones roxorz (and hopefully not overpriced). If not then it's either OPO4 or Honor 9 for me then.

Android 7.1 coming to current Nexus devices and Pixel C, will land before the end of 2016 as a dev preview
Android 7.1 coming to current Nexus devices and Pixel C, will land before the end of 2016 as a dev preview

So let me get this straight, the brand new Pixel phones launch in October with Android 7.1 obviously, but last years top of the line Google phone, the Nexus 6P will get a beta of 7.1 in December, and the final release of 7.1 sometime next year ? WTF Google ? What happened to Nexus devices being so quick to get fast Android updates ? Now just the newest phones get it, and last years devices already have a long wait ?

I am no iPhone fan, but god damn Apple does updates right, The new iPhone 7 launched with iOS 10, and then a crap load of older iPhone's also got the same iOS 10 update, like just one week later.

Former banker here, can explain - They put a hold on your card for the preorder. If you used a credit card, it would basically lower your credit limit for the $750 or whatever, but not have it show on your bill. As a debit card though, it basically makes the funds "unavailable" while the phone is on order. Holds will release after a few days (Usually 3-4) and then you'll be charged again when the device is ready to ship.

Well, this turned out horribly. So much for giving Android a try again. Haters love to knock Apple, but stuff like this just makes them all the more solidified as the king. This is why Apple can release two versions of the same phone every year and it get's gobbled up. No competition. Nice one Google.

Guess I can unwatch this thread now.

I ordered the Pixel XL from Google Play, upgrading from my Nexus 5.

There is a monthly pay option on the Google store site when you checkout.

Lol. Looks to me like it is the Pixels getting gobbled up...

The blue Pixel and Pixel XL are really, really sold out

LOL...

Let me put sales in perspective. Selling out a Google phone is child's play. I was unable to get my pre-order for Shamu in until the FOURTH round of pre-orders. My order number was only 1,380-something. 4 rounds of pre orders totalled was only 2,000 devices or less.

Easy to make headlines about selling out when you have no stock (real or virtual).

LOL...

Let me put sales in perspective. Selling out a Google phone is child's play. I was unable to get my pre-order for Shamu in until the FOURTH round of pre-orders. My order number was only 1,380-something. 4 rounds of pre orders totalled was only 2,000 devices or less.

Easy to make headlines about selling out when you have no stock (real or virtual).

Exactly. Nexus phones are super low volume, and they don't manufacturer a ton of them, due to them sitting in warehouse.

Easy to sell out of 2,000 phones. Google probably kept the amount low, afraid it wouldn't sell well.

Whereas Apple and Samsung might sell 5 million pgones opening week.

People like me on T-Mobile's JoD plan, are fucked if they want a Pixel phone.

And for some dumb unknown reason Google says Verizon would be a great carrier to team up with. WTF ? They're the worst, and have even admitted to locking it doen already.

The Project Fi carriers are T-Mobile and Sprint. Those two would've made more sense to launch it with carrier wise, than the Nazi Verizon fucks.

Oh well, looks like my next upgrade on JoD might be an iPhone 7 Plus, ( and i hate the iPhone ) once a Jailbreak

And for some dumb unknown reason Google says Verizon would be a great carrier to team up with. WTF ? They're the worst, and have even admitted to locking it doen already.

The Project Fi carriers are T-Mobile and Sprint. Those two would've made more sense to launch it with carrier wise, than the Nazi Verizon fucks.

Oh well, looks like my next upgrade on JoD might be an iPhone 7 Plus, ( and i hate the iPhone ) once a Jailbreak

T-Mobile no longer offering JUMP! On Demand for new customers

Might be too late if you are not already on TMobile JOD:

Exclusive: T-Mobile no longer offering JUMP! On Demand for new customers

I knew JoD would be worthless for non-mainstream/unlocked phones when it was announced anyways, which is why I never considered it. It's basically only good for the iPhones, Galaxies, and LG phones.

Fortunately (unlike you), I shop for a find a phone that I know will last me a while and stick with it for its whole life cycle, which right now is the 6P that I got used on Swappa back in May for $420 for the 64GB variant. Other than missing the IR blaster from my M8, it has been an excellent phone so far can don't see any tangible benefit or upgrade by replacing it with any other phone at the moment (definitely including these Pixel phones).

IMO, these Pixel phones were a regression in design from the 6P and N6, mostly because they dropped the front facing speakers that I love, plus they didn't bring back wireless charging. Not that I care about aesthetics at all in a phone either; but it looks very generic to me compared to previous designs. Even with the spec bump on these phones, I don't think I would consider them even if they were priced the same as last year's Nexus phones.

After the initial shock wore off with pricing it doesn't bother me too much since it is a very premium phone and is the same price as the other premium devices out there.

At this point I think my biggest issue is the lack of selling through other carriers. That right there means Pixel is DoA. You can't compete with the likes of Samsung or Apple if you only sell in retail stores or Verizon.

If Google really wants to compete instead of just doing Nexus devices they have to go all out and they aren't. They're half assing it. I get the whole thing about financing and what not. However, sometimes wanting another credit line just isn't something people want to do. Much less do I want to figure out how I'm going to sell my current phone to finish paying it off and then start paying for the new one. Not to mention getting something like that past the wife. It's easy to do when I walk into T-Mobile (I'm original JUMP so every 6 months no questions asked). and pay $36 in taxes and walk out with a new phone. But if I had to buy pixel phone, sell G5, pay off G5 and probably lose out on the deal the wife wouldn't be very happy with me. Once all is said and done I'm not saving any money either. So I dunno.

I loved my V10 and I love my G5. I just want the guaranteed monthly security updates. My G5 surprisingly enough has been updated twice already which isn't all that bad. Still though...I miss my Nexus 6.

Back