Like them or not, Google's Pixel phones will be the iPhone competitor we've demanded for years

guarantee if the iPhone or Galaxy phones were full price $700+ phones only, and without the monthly payment options through carriers, no way would they be selling nearly as many units.

Google has been all over the board in this, so inconsistent. Some years the Nexus phones is sold through carriers like T-Mobile or Sprint, other years not at all, or one time Verizon only.

And then the pricing overall each year is just randomly different. Some years it's a friendly $399 to $499 other years it's the full $649.

I recall launch pricing somewhat like this;

Nexus-One $599
Nexus-S $579
Galaxy Nexus $649 ( six months later $399 )
Nexus 4 $400
Nexus 5 $399
Nexus 6 $649
Nexus 6P $499
Pixel XL $729

And then the pricing overall each year is just randomly different. Some years it's a friendly $399 to $499 other years it's the full $649.

I recall launch pricing somewhat like this;

Nexus-One $599
Nexus-S $579
Galaxy Nexus $649 ( six months later $399 )
Nexus 4 $400
Nexus 5 $399
Nexus 6 $649
Nexus 6P $499
Pixel XL $729

I think its dependent on the manufacturer of the phone. For example, prices for LG-made phones (4, 5, and the 5X) never scale much past $400 while prices shoot up past $600 for Motorola and Samsung. Though that's admittedly difficult to prove since only LG has had the privilege of making multiple Nexus models.

Only carriers I have heard about with these new Pixel phones is Verizon only, which scares me, sounds just like the Galaxy Nexus launch, where you could buy it full price through Google, or get it subsidized through Verizon only, but no other carriers offered it.

I sure hope Google brings the Pixel phones to ATT, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon, and actually in stores on display, offers them with contract / subsidized pricing, etc... But we'll see, Google hasn't really done this before.

And another issue going back to the annual pricing of the Nexus phones, being all over the board. Why was the whale Motorola Nexus 6 $650, and then the much better designed and higher quality build Nexus 6P only $499 ? I thought the Motorola Nexus 6 was overpriced for what it was, and the Nexus 6P at $499 was a great value. I'm not talking hardware of course, I know a year later better hardware obviously goes in the new phone, but the build materials, and design, and overall quality was far nicer on the 6P over the 6, and the 6P was approx. 25% cheaper.

I had both the Motorola Nexus 6 and currently the Nexus 6P, I recall the Motorola Nexus having the worst camera in modern history, just horrible, and blurry and crap. I actually had two different Motorola Nexus 6's one for me and one for the Wife, and both had terrible cameras.

The screen on the Motorola 6 wasn't that great from what I remember, and neither is the 6P's. They both seem mediocre.

I am not saying the 6P is a way better phone that the Motorola 6, they actually seem pretty equal overall. But why is one $650 and the other $499 ? Again goes back to that strange inconsistent pricing Google puts on the Nexus phones each year, almost seems like they roll the dice to decide randomly on pricing.

As far as carriers goes, if they don't put these Pixel phones in stores, have them for sale with subsidized payment pricing, and advertise the crap out of them, it will go nowhere sales wise. If it's to be just a Google Play Store online sale only, then it will remain a niche product for the hardcore nerds only.

Again goes back to that strange inconsistent pricing Google puts on the Nexus phones each year, almost seems like they roll the dice to decide randomly on pricing.

The pricing is heavily influenced by the company that actually makes the device itself, such as Samsung (for the original Galaxy Nexus), LG (several models), HTC (several models including the Pixels), and Huawei. It's not all Google, they just provide the specs they want and then provide Android itself for the OEM to then make the best of. I'm sure the OEM has more control over the final retail pricing of the Nexus/Pixel smartphones than Google does and I don't suspect that's going to change anytime soon.

I do agree with the points about the new devices needing to be in retail channels. IIRC Best Buy at one point did actually stock one or two of the Nexus models in years past in their retail outlets for sale but I could be wrong about that. Best Buy seems to be the last bastion when it comes to some products that nobody else will ever carry like BlackBerry hardware (at least the last time I visited a Best Buy they had unlocked BlackBerry devices not tied to carriers for retail purchase) and some other items from various manufacturers.

But then again, Google never intended to make a serious dent in "the competition" because of how they structure the deals for such devices - if they really truly wanted to get into the smartphone market they would just gobble up some struggling China-based hardware manufacturer for a great price then start cranking out Google branded and Google manufactured smartphones and I simply don't see that ever becoming an actual possibility.

At this point in "the smartphone game" Google would lose money hand over fist in such a situation, they'd just be too damned late to the party regardless of what hardware they produced - not even having expandable storage and a removable battery would help. :D

My dad has the Nexus 6 and I have the 6P. The build quality is better on the Motorola Nexus 6 just like the Moto X phones. The camera sucked, though. It was indeed overpriced. If Pixel releases at high price point, I would seriously question the damn phone.

I'm not thrilled about them no longer being vanilla Android. :(
Unbelievably, this is looking more likely to be the case, based on yesterday's leaks.

This promo shot shows an uglified navigation bar, in addition to the Pixel Launcher and its inexplicable forced circular icons.

I wasn't interested in picking up a Pixel myself anyway, but this has me seriously worried about the future of Android in general. Stock Lollipop and Marshmallow felt like the OS had reached a state of maturity and near-perfection, and the least couple years' Nexus devices were excellent, if you didn't mind the handful of hardware compromises. Things have been looking up, other than dumb OEM skins. Now Google kills Nexus in favor of overpriced HTC junk with a custom UI?

I see absolutely nothing to look forward to on the horizon, at this point, other than for some third player to come onto the scene as soon as possible. Meanwhile, the 6P may remain *the* flagship for another year if you're a purist.

Unbelievably, this is looking more likely to be the case, based on yesterday's leaks.

This promo shot shows an uglified navigation bar, in addition to the Pixel Launcher and its inexplicable forced circular icons.

I wasn't interested in picking up a Pixel myself anyway, but this has me seriously worried about the future of Android in general. Stock Lollipop and Marshmallow felt like the OS had reached a state of maturity and near-perfection, and the least couple years' Nexus devices were excellent, if you didn't mind the handful of hardware compromises. Things have been looking up, other than dumb OEM skins. Now Google kills Nexus in favor of overpriced HTC junk with a custom UI?

I see absolutely nothing to look forward to on the horizon, at this point, other than for some third player to come onto the scene as soon as possible. Meanwhile, the 6P may remain *the* flagship for another year if you're a purist.

I might just keep my Nexus 5x in that case.

I don't need to upgrade. The 5x is plenty fast and works just fine. The tech geek in me wanted a new toy, but not a locked up custom bloatware Google phone.

I would be fine with paying a higher price for higher end hardware, but the vanilla Android experience is paramount to me. I wish they would just ship a pre-ordered vanilla Android phone with mid to high end hardware (5", fast CPU, 1080p resolution, large battery, decent - but not crazy - camera) without any excess fluff (resolutions above 1080p, screen sizes above 5", wireless charging, super fancy camera etc.) and most importantly with regular security updates and long term Android version update commitments.

This is all I want. Nothing crazy. No fancy extra features. I'd never use wireless charging. A cell camera only needs to be basic, for anything fancier I have my DSLR anyway. Large above 5" screen sizes and higher than 1080p resolutions are for the birds and just waste battery. I don't even want the fingerprint scanner. Just a decently fast CPU, large battery and vanilla Android with a 5+ year commitment to security patches and a 2+ year commitment to OS upgrades.

Essentially, I want my phone to be more like my computer (not my computer to be more like my phone)

Last edited:
Maybe there still will be a Nexus 7P and these Pixel phones ? I read rumors that come December there's a possible Google phone release due, totally separate from these Pixel phones. But that rumor was back early summer.

Maybe there still will be a Nexus 7P and these Pixel phones ? I read rumors that come December there's a possible Google phone release due, totally separate from these Pixel phones. But that rumor was back early summer.

Pretty sure the 7P will the Nexus 7 successor, not a phone.

The Nexus branding is dead, so everything from here on out will be under the Pixel moniker.

We will still - hopefully - be able to use 3rd party ROM's like Cyanogenmod.

Problem there is, you don't necessarily get the frequent OTA security updates. That's one of the biggest selling point of Nexus devices, IMHO.

If Cyanogenmod pushed monthly OTA security updates, and Pixel phones have unlocked bootloaders, this would be an option.

I'm going to reserve judgment until the actual launch reviews start coming out, but if even half of these rumors about the Pixel phones are correct, this is fucking depressing.

We will still - hopefully - be able to use 3rd party ROM's like Cyanogenmod.

Problem there is, you don't necessarily get the frequent OTA security updates. That's one of the biggest selling point of Nexus devices, IMHO.

If Cyanogenmod pushed monthly OTA security updates, and Pixel phones have unlocked bootloaders, this would be an option.

I'm going to reserve judgment until the actual launch reviews start coming out, but if even half of these rumors about the Pixel phones are correct, this is fucking depressing.

Yea at this point...I'm hoping and hoping and watching reddit/forums that the ZTE Axon 7 gets to Sprint and unlocked with Cyanogenmod quickly.

After paying retail for Nexus6 (which was a good phone back in its day), don't care to pay $700USD again.

I suppose many of you have read about Andromeda. For those that didn't, it's where Android is merged with Chrome OS. I have to assume that this is Google's answer to Microsoft's Continuum (for a dead platform), especially when Pixel is typically the name for a Google's chromebook. I really wish that there would be a dual monitor dock for Pixel X/XL.

THAT'S a deal breaker?
Google doing an advertising blitz for a "Made by Google" phone and then essentially slapping a custom skin on top of AOSP is. It would be the final nail in the coffin for any hope of making the other OEMs stop the skin nonsense.

If you think Google was shooting for market share with their phones, you're sorely mistaken. Maybe read up on some other brands that aren't Apple.
The only thing any manufacture shoots for is market share, because market share = profits.

Quit thinking that Android is the white knight meant to protect consumers from the big bad open market and expensive iphones. They're out there to make money. Period.

Google doing an advertising blitz for a "Made by Google" phone and then essentially slapping a custom skin on top of AOSP is. It would be the final nail in the coffin for any hope of making the other OEMs stop the skin nonsense.

First you need to get over the OEM skins. They're not going away. Period. That said that doesn't mean they can't be done in a better manner which supposedly is part of what Pixel is about.

I think what we're gonna see is that Google may indeed be putting a "custom skin" on AOSP but it's not going to be like TouchShit or Sense or LG UI. They're going to be using the code they have been putting in place for a long time now to skin it without fucking with the framework like the OEMs love to do. Layers is there in the code now for a reason. Lots of custom ROM's leverage Layers so that the user can change themes without mucking with the framework.

Yes the rumor is Google is releasing a Google branded phone (most likely still very open like Nexus) but they're separating it from the Nexus brand by more than just a name change. They're also slapping OEMs in the face because what we will most likely get is a themed version of Android that is still able to be updated on a monthly basis easily because the framework hasn't been played with. Basically Google is saying hey OEMs...you're doing it wrong.

Screwing with the framework is where much of the update issues come from. Look at TouchWiz and Knox. The Android framework is totally fucked. That's a lot of work to merge a bunch of patches (especially if any deal with the framework), fix anything the patches break in the modified framework and then test. LG and HTC aren't any better either. Look at V10 and upcoming V20. While the secondary screen is impressive, the secondary screen completely changes things. LG UI makes substantial changes in how things like Notification Shade Icons work (think WiFi/BT/NFC) compared to AOSP as well. Changes that like that only complicate things when it comes to updates.

Now I could be wrong but with Google being so security focused and trying to fix the lack of updates and the fragmentation of the Android Eco-system I'd bet money I'm right. Guess we find out on October 4 what's really going on so bring on Tuesday!

The only thing any manufacture shoots for is market share, because market share = profits.

Wrong.

Market share and profit are only tangentially related.

Apple has market share in the 20's percent and they are by far the most profitable smartphone maker.

The most profitable auto maker in the world? Porsche. Tiny market share.

Market share speaks to volume and volume is certainly a CONPONENT of profit. More market share tends to result in more revenues, but if your revenues don't exceed your costs, all you are doing with more market share is losing more money :p

Quit thinking that Android is the white knight meant to protect consumers from the big bad open market and expensive iphones. They're out there to make money. Period.

Who is thinking this?

Google has some interests that align well with the type of users who prefer Android over iOS. They also have other interests that don't align.

Maybe... the Pixel phones will be running Andromeda... :D

The most profitable auto maker in the world? Porsche. Tiny market share.
I don't believe that at all.

As for everything else, I can see where you're coming from.

EDIT: I can't find anything saying Porsche is the most profitable car company. Maybe they have the biggest margins? Which I guess in a round about way means they have the biggest profit...but are we talking gross or net?

Mr Money: the most profitable car companies

This Is the World's Most Valuable Auto Brand

Toyota: The World’s Most Profitable Car Company

It doesn't really matter, this is the cell phone section, so nevermind with all this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't believe that at all.

As for everything else, I can see where you're coming from.

EDIT: I can't find anything saying Porsche is the most profitable car company. Maybe they have the biggest margins? Which I guess in a round about way means they have the biggest profit...but are we talking gross or net?

Mr Money: the most profitable car companies

This Is the World's Most Valuable Auto Brand

Toyota: The World’s Most Profitable Car Company

It doesn't really matter, this is the cell phone section, so nevermind with all this.

Well, my data was admittedly pretty old, and based on memory alone. It was from back before the VW takeover of Porsche. I can't remember the details anymore, but in the late 90's early 2000's Porsche was making more money as company on their tiny market share than many of the bigger producers combined.

The details are hazy though, and as you say, moot because this is a cellphone discussion.

The thing about AOSP....Is that the code Google publishes doesn't compile...it takes a tone of forensics and testing to just get it to compile. Nougat's AOSP source in particular is terribad in terms of being broken. Google's ROMs and the AOSP they release are two very different things. You cannot just repo-sync the AOSP and viola you have a Google ROM. AAMOF, the repo-sync probably will not even compile.

Source: Huawei passed on chance to produce Pixel phones, US division badly struggling

Source: Huawei passed on chance to produce Pixel phones, US division badly struggling

Huawei was pegged as the manufacturer of Google's 2016 smartphone portfolio: negotiations between Huawei and Google broke down when the latter demanded no partner logos be on its new smartphones. But the drama runs even deeper than that, if our source is to be believed, starting with the Nexus program.

Our source, however, says that Huawei and Google's partnership on the Nexus 6P was never fully realized, and that it was actually far more ambitious than what we ended up with.

Initially, Google allegedly sold Huawei on the idea that the Nexus 6P would be stocked and sold by all four major US carriers. It was Huawei's big chance to finally be on store shelves in a huge number of retailers across the United States, and no doubt was a major reason they were so invested in the project. In particular, Huawei wanted its smartphones on Verizon - it's not exactly clear why, apart from the obvious (Verizon is the largest or 2nd largest US carrier, depending on the quarter). Google and Huawei would also embark on a massive, multi-hundred-million dollar ad campaign for the Nexus 6P, with an agreement that each company would match the advertising dollars the other was willing to invest. But that never happened.

Huawei was pegged as the manufacturer of Google's 2016 smartphone portfolio: negotiations between Huawei and Google broke down when the latter demanded no partner logos be on its new smartphones. But the drama runs even deeper than that, if our source is to be believed, starting with the Nexus program.

Our source, however, says that Huawei and Google's partnership on the Nexus 6P was never fully realized, and that it was actually far more ambitious than what we ended up with.

Initially, Google allegedly sold Huawei on the idea that the Nexus 6P would be stocked and sold by all four major US carriers. It was Huawei's big chance to finally be on store shelves in a huge number of retailers across the United States, and no doubt was a major reason they were so invested in the project. In particular, Huawei wanted its smartphones on Verizon - it's not exactly clear why, apart from the obvious (Verizon is the largest or 2nd largest US carrier, depending on the quarter). Google and Huawei would also embark on a massive, multi-hundred-million dollar ad campaign for the Nexus 6P, with an agreement that each company would match the advertising dollars the other was willing to invest. But that never happened.

Thank god. I would have had to skip the generation if they were Huawei manufactured.

Cant trust a division of the authoritarian Chinese government.

A lot of people feel the way I do. They won't break through in the U.S. no matter how good a device they make, at how low a price, unless the Chinese government divests all their investments/ownership in the company, and they have a firewalled design group outside China design.

People simply do not trust the Chinese government or products designed in China, and we only reluctantly put up with products made in China.

Last edited:
I was looking forward to a Nexus 7P, oh well hopefully these HTC models are great. But for the love of God, Google needs to put these new Pixel phones in stores at all four U.S. carriers already ( not just Verizon ) it needs to be in T-Mobile stores, and ATT and Sprint too, and have them for sale at subsidized monthly payments, just like the iPhone and Galaxy phones. And advertise the crap out of them like Samsung did a few years ago.

And still be untouched stock vanilla Android, with zero carrier bloat added, no different than Apple does with their iPhone's being sold at U.S. carriers, no carrier crapware.

Google "Just, do it".

I can just see Google F'ing this up, putting it in Verizon stores only, and mostly sold on the Google Play, they will advertise it casually. And again will not sell much, and still be a nerds phone only, with the general Joe Blow being unaware such a great phone even exists. And for selling at $700+ with no monthly payments, this phone will be a dud to 99% of people.

I don't see why this can't be put in all four U.S. carrier stores, and advertised nicely well too ? LG can, Motorola can, HTC used to, and of course the big players Apple and Samsung do. Don't see why Google can't also do it ?

Don't see why Google can't also do it ?

As stated previously: because Google is not a cellular phone manufacturer.

They can do a lot but, the carriers draw a line at that point since they have to buy the phones from the phone manufacturers and not Google so, that's where their interests lie.

I don't see why this can't be put in all four U.S. carrier stores, and advertised nicely well too ? LG can, Motorola can, HTC used to, and of course the big players Apple and Samsung do. Don't see why Google can't also do it ?

It's probably because Google is trying to push the same deal Apple pushed years ago.

No carrier branding, no carrier preinstalled Apps, no carrier involvement in software updates or validation (pushed directly from google instead).

This was a MAJOR concession to Apple years ago, and it cost them dearly at the time when they went into their exclusive with AT&T. It wasn't until the other carriers saw what a success it was that they came back with their tails between their legs.

Verizon and other carriers aren't going to just give these things to Google. It's going to cost them, probably in the form of initial exclusivity deals to one of the big carriers, and if it is a success, the other carriers will get on board too.

Can I take this moment to say I absolutely hate the fact that mobile carriers feel like they have to differentiate themselves with branding and hardware. They just need to shut up and accept the fact that they are nothing but wireless internet providers, and they should have no involvement at all with the devices, what software runs on them, or how people use them.

As stated previously: because Google is not a cellular phone manufacturer.

They can do a lot but, the carriers draw a line at that point since they have to buy the phones from the phone manufacturers and not Google so, that's where their interests lie.

Apple is not a cellphone manufacturer either. Foxconn is to Apple as HTC is to Google in this case.

This hasn't necessarily been the case in the past with Nexus devices as they have been more of a public partnership with the respective OEM. This is probably the main reason for the rebranding from Nexus to Pixel. Google want's to make it absolutely clear that with Pixel phones it is "Designed and sold by Google and manufactured by someone else" just like Apple.

Apple is and always has been a hardware manufacturer even in spite of the middlemen like Foxconn (which doesn't really sell products directly to consumers) and others hence my statement - the fact that they now own a chip plant and produce their own SoCs (the A8, A9, and now the A10 in the iPhone 7 series, etc) also factors into this. They get entirely different deals when it comes to working with the carriers because of this fact and Google simply tags along behind the actual hardware makers who produce devices based on Google spec.

Google could, if they truly wanted to, snatch up a small hardware developer and producer someplace in the world and start cranking out their own manufactured hardware but I suppose for them it's just easier and more cost effective to work by spec with the most established aka much larger hardware manufacturers. Unfortunately, they're never going to get the kind of widespread consumer adoption that Apple has and it's partly because the carriers just don't work with Google like they do with the actual hardware makers.

I can't imagine the Pixel devices being sold by the carriers, I know a lot of people are really hoping for it but that in some ways just goes against Google's well established practices of "doing things their own way..." more or less. Tomorrow's event will probably just be boring I suppose, smartphones are pretty much all the same nowadays - the Andromeda thing could be an interesting point, however, and I have to wonder if it could run on smartphones because if it does, then yes that will be a major major shift in how things are done. I said a few days ago that it's entirely possible the Pixel devices could be running Andromeda and not traditional Android so, I suppose we'll find out in a little over 24 hours. ;)

After almost a decade of them it's practically impossible to really stand out anymore: LG was the last holdout for me because they broke from "tradition" years ago with the G2 and made that paradigm shift towards putting the volume/power buttons on the back, something no other company would dare dream of. And it actually succeeded, especially with the creation of KnockOn/KnockOff (aka double-tap to wake/sleep) on the same device. Then the G3, then the G4, then the V10 and then... well, they fucked up by reverting back to being just another cellular phone manufacturer with the G5 and moving the buttons back to the sides and that's when I knew their standing out was over.

For me personally there are only two smartphones in the world. Apple's iPhone ( which is not my cup of tea ). And Google's Nexus or now Pixel line.

Windows Phone, and Blackberry ships have sailed and have zero interest to me.

And all the skinned versions of Android, that Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola make all suck, and just vomit all over the beautiful stock Android OS, and even worse is they copy core Google system apps for no frigging reason whatsoever, if Google makes a stock app like Browser, or Clock, or Calculator, there's no reason Samsung needs to make a their own different version.

But if Google wants to be taken seriously, and push these new Pixel phones, they absolutely need to be on store shelves in all four U.S. carriers, and sold on monthly payments just like the iPhone and Galaxy line. Otherwise this will be another low seller, and just the .05% nerds phone only.

I was looking forward to a Nexus 7P, oh well hopefully these HTC models are great. But for the love of God, Google needs to put these new Pixel phones in stores at all four U.S. carriers already ( not just Verizon ) it needs to be in T-Mobile stores, and ATT and Sprint too, and have them for sale at subsidized monthly payments, just like the iPhone and Galaxy phones. And advertise the crap out of them like Samsung did a few years ago.

And still be untouched stock vanilla Android, with zero carrier bloat added, no different than Apple does with their iPhone's being sold at U.S. carriers, no carrier crapware.

Google "Just, do it".

I can just see Google F'ing this up, putting it in Verizon stores only, and mostly sold on the Google Play, they will advertise it casually. And again will not sell much, and still be a nerds phone only, with the general Joe Blow being unaware such a great phone even exists. And for selling at $700+ with no monthly payments, this phone will be a dud to 99% of people.

I usually agree with your posts, but I don't agree with much in this one.

In the Huwaei story you mentioned earlier that AP leaked today, it was revealed that "talks broke down between Google and the carriers" regarding the 6P last year. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure it probably had to do with bloatware, carrier branding on the hardware, control over updates, etc. If that's the case, I would rather Google keep it a "nerd phone" than cave to the carriers and destroy the key advantages of Nexus/Pixel. A Verizon 6P with a big V on the back, updates held back three months, and 18 extra apps baked into the stock ROM would've been a non-starter for both nerds and Joe Blow.

As always, Google has to play by a different set of rules than Apple because they don't have the market share and leverage to impose their will on the carriers, so things will never improve.

In the Huwaei story you mentioned earlier that AP leaked today, it was revealed that "talks broke down between Google and the carriers" regarding the 6P last year. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to figure it probably had to do with bloatware, carrier branding on the hardware, control over updates, etc. If that's the case, I would rather Google keep it a "nerd phone" than cave to the carriers and destroy the key advantages of Nexus/Pixel. A Verizon 6P with a big V on the back, updates held back three months, and 18 extra apps baked into the stock ROM would've been a non-starter for both nerds and Joe Blow.

As always, Google has to play by a different set of rules than Apple because they don't have the market share and leverage to impose their will on the carriers, so things will never improve.

I still do not see why Google can't just make these Pixel phones and put out the exact same phone that's sold on the Play Store and in carriers, with ZERO difference, and no bloatware. Apple did it back in 2007 when it was a no name phone and not popular yet. And the carriers know this new Pixel line will be a low selling phone, so what do they care if it's just "pure stock" no carrier bloat phone. It's not going effect iPhone or Galaxy sales.

I certainly don't want a big "V" on the Pixel phone sold by Verizon, and have stupid Verizon apps on it, and have their updates held back and delayed. No one wants that, and it doesn't need to be like that. Then again I am not on Verizon and never will be, F that Nazi company.

Agreed. That beign said, I think that is what they are trying to change with the Pixel line. They are trying to make it their own phone brand, not a Nexus style partnership, and make it a premium desirable device, so they have more leverage with the carriers.

Judging by comments in this thread regarding missing features they'd like to see (Wireless charging, better water protection, removable batteries, etc.) that may or may not happen, but at least they are trying. The latest rumor out suggests that the phones have a microsd slot though, and then it was quickly contradicted by yet further rumors. Who knows if it is true.

I'm going to reserve my judgment until the official announcement with confirmed specs, but I feel like chances are good I'll grab a 5" version, unless they announce something I truly hate.

The high price is a bummer, but it is a truly high end chip, lots of RAM, and guaranteed security updates, all of which are big deals in my book. I will probably need a third party launcher and some icons, but other than that, I'm not hating what I see yet.

I don't care about:
  • wireless charging
  • fingerprint scanners
  • multiple phone speakers
  • camera quality (in fact lower res is better in my book to save on storage space)
  • large screen size (IMHO 4.8" is the sweet spot for usability even with my freakishly large hands)
  • high screen resolution (1080p is the sweet spot, good resolution without increased battery use); or
  • price (within reason)

...as long as I get my regular security patches and a decent performing phone.

I like the idea of microsd slots and removable batteries, but if I had to be honest, I've had a few phones with them, and I never ran out of storage, so I never inserted a microSD card, and I never was bothered enough by the battery life to actually bother to go out and buy a secondary battery, so I guess I can live without them.

My current phone is the first I've had with a fingerprint scanner, and I've never used it. I couldn't care less if any phone I buy comes equipped with one. In fact, if it doesn't have one, all the better. Less battery load, less bulk, less cost.

Last edited:
I still do not see why Google can't just make these Pixel phones and put out the exact same phone that's sold on the Play Store and in carriers, with ZERO difference, and no bloatware. Apple did it back in 2007 when it was a no name phone and not popular yet. And the carriers know this new Pixel line will be a low selling phone, so what do they care if it's just "pure stock" no carrier bloat phone. It's not going effect iPhone or Galaxy sales.

I certainly don't want a big "V" on the Pixel phone sold by Verizon, and have stupid Verizon apps on it, and have their updates held back and delayed. No one wants that, and it doesn't need to be like that. Then again I am not on Verizon and never will be, F that Nazi company.

It is pretty simple....Google was a phone-nobody when Android came out...and was completely at the mercy of the carriers. To this day the carriers, due to their ability to white/black-list cell models on their networks, have Google by the cajones in any negotiation.

PS-October Security Patches are out for Nexus....and Shamu still has no Nougat.

PS-October Security Patches are out for Nexus....and Shamu still has no Nougat.

I don't see this as a problem, as long as it still gets security patches in Marshmallow.

Unless you are some kind of "OMGZ I absolutely must have the latest" personality, it really isn't a big deal. Marshmallow works well.

I don't consider not updating to the latest OS to be abandonment. I would - however - consider and end to security patches to be abandonment.

Back