Like Having 176 Floppies On Your Keychain!

HardOCP News

[H] News
Finding ancient computer hardware on the shelves at Wal-Mart isn't surprising, it happens all the time. What makes this story funny is the employee's response to the customer:

The cashier told me outright, "You'll be bringing your kids in here some day, and these will still be here." We had a good laugh about it, and he told me I should probably take a picture and share it with my friends.

I work at a Wal-Mart, and that's about what I'd say to a customer pointing something out like that to me.

Reminds me of the last time I looked at the prices of RAM in Best Buy.

I bought a 256mb thumb drive for $96. It was a godsend at the time.

Well it looks like I got my shit&giggles for the day.
Makes you wonder if these been lost in the storeroom because they look in mint condition.

reminds me of finding a collection of SNES games at a kmart when well into the N64 era

The cashier in electronics was stunned that such things still existed, and when we walked out with 5 new games for $10

Well shit guys, I only have the 88 floppy version. Might have to upgrade, what do you all think?

P012712_1118.jpg

u want mine, i've one of those thing, though not sure it's working but at cost of shipping it's yours ;) one bad news though, just like 90% of people using this i've lost the cap too :(

I have a 32MB (yes, MB!) thumbdrive that some vendor mailed me along with their "buy from me" propaganda packet. Easily re-formatted and still use it for BIOS flashing.

Newer flash drives are actually SSD's on a stick, very impressive tech. I think the one Azshar posted is one. Funny how even though its a thumb drive it'll be faster than your average 7200RPM HD.

And just the other day I saw an 4GB at Fred Meyer in the checkout line for $8 and went, goddamn even retail those are getting dirt cheap...

And just the other day I saw an 4GB at Fred Meyer in the checkout line for $8 and went, goddamn even retail those are getting dirt cheap...

Though you can find 8GB drives for <$10 all over the place now.

I bought a 256MB flash drive back in '04 for $45, was the best deal I had ever seen at the time.
Still have a 64MB flash drive though, good times!

It's like 176 floppies on a keychain? That must be the heaviest USB flash drive ever made.

This reminds me of when Best Buy had a 6800 Ultra for sale for $999.99, this is when the 8800GTX was already released.

You think a business who cares about efficiency wouldn't waste shelf space like that.

BTW, I still have a 16mb thumb drive.

There is a computer shop near me called digilink. Now what is amazing is they are a small shop with very little inventory. But they have all sorts of legacy connector parts. Things like FDD chains, parrallel port cords. And the plastic they are in is really yellow you can tell it has been there since they opened the store.

Oh and I would say that walmart has bad management. Managers can do as they please. More likely no one has brought the issue to them.

Next time I find a box of old floppy's at a flea market I am going to try for 176 floppy's on a keychain

Next time I find a box of old floppy's at a flea market I am going to try for 176 floppy's on a keychain

Come by my office. I have thousands of floppies collecting dust in one of our parts closet at work.

Like having 176 floppy's on my keychain? Yeah...colored me unimpressed. I want 176 ACTUAL floppy's on my keychain...of the 8" kind!

176 Floppies? And you know when you install from those 176 floppies you come to insert Disk 176 and it will have a CRC error...

Imagine how long it would take to copy data off of 176 floppy disks!! I knew technology had advanced when I realised it was quicker to download a document from New Zealand, on the other side of the planet, than it would be to copy it from that floppy disk.

That's like having 91,008 floppies on your keychain!
I am just trying to imagine how high that stack would be!! A floppy on my shelf is 3mm thick. So that stack is 273metres high. Or roughly 896 feet or one sixth of a mile high!!

Possible to build a RAID style 5 1/4 floppy array? Quite the decibel output if nothing else.

I was thinking about this kind of stuff the other day while going through my desk at home. I have a 8MB SD card from my first Canon Digital Camera. That was maybe back in 2004 or so. And in 7 years we now have (average, but certainly not the limit) 32GB SD card. Thats a 4000x times increase in capacity....in 7 years! Plus you can just as easily get 32GB in microSD now, which is 1/3 the footprint.

You think a business who cares about efficiency wouldn't waste shelf space like that.

Most likely they were found in a box in the back somewhere and put them out to try and sell out of them in place of something they were sold out of and was on order. That's the way it works at my Wal-Mart.

ha i used to have that exact flash drive but only 64mb version. I wonder what ever had happened to it. Got it for Christmas one year. Definitely one of my favorite presents I got as a pre teen :p

Back