Lightweight Gaming laptop recommendations

mmarsh

Limp Gawd
Howdy fellow IT Gurus.

I got a full gaming rig back at home but what I want is a good LIGHTWEIGHT gaming laptop. This is not to replace my home rig, but to provide me with gaming goodness when I travel on Business.

I fly alot and airlines are strict on luggage weight (and its also a pain to lug around my current XPS 1530). So want is a lightweight/good perfomance laptop which isnt going to break my back when I carry it around the airport.

Current thoughts

Alienware x11
AlienWare x14
Asus G53JH/JW
MSI GT680
MacBook Pro

Can anyone give me some pointers? Oh and I dont care about 3D, this is for gaming and work I dont own any 3D movies so this is unnecessary.

Your old laptop is 15.4" and 5.9 lbs. But you say it is a pain to carry around. So why are you considering any of the following:

Macbook Pro 15" starts at 5.6 lbs (13" is HD 3000 graphics only).
MSI GT680 15.6" weighs-in at 7.7 lbs.
Asus G53JW weighs in at EIGHT POUNDS!

Are you REALLY sure what you want? Because I'm seeing some desktop replacements here, and your title claims "Lightweight Gaming laptop."

So, which is it?

I think the onlly laptop you listed that comes in under the weight of your original laptop is the M11x. I am confused on what you are wanting. I suppose the M11x would be a good choice then.

Well if you are thinking MBP how about hold off for the MBA refresh that brings 2gen i7/5/3 chips and updated graphics, if you are worried about weight.

You either pick one or the other, I don't think its a possible to get a lightweight gaming laptop. If you have problems carring around 6lbs for a laptop then not many choices there.

Oops It would appear I goofed

I am currently in Europe, and got confused between kg and lbs :rolleyes:

No, what I want is the lightest gaming laptop possible, I do not want a desktop replacement.

Will be playing a variety of games.

Got any suggestions?

Having experience with most of the laptops you list, just know there is a vast divide in weight and size between the 15" laptops and the m11x. It might not seem that big on paper, but once you get them in you're hands there's a huge difference. If you're ultimately looking for a portable laptop that can play games (around or a bit better than the fidelity of an xbox 360), go with the m11x. If you want more power go with the g53 or MSI 680, but these and even the MBP are difficult to deal with if you're traveling constantly.

If it was me and I was traveling alot, I'd go with the m11x (r3 if in your budget), or m14x which seems to be your best compromise between weigh/size and gaming performance.

The M14x would be my choice in that situation. Alternatively the Dell XPS 15z would be a good call. It is going to be around 5lbs, however will do pretty well.

Back