Lightweight Debian x64 Linux?

Ashton

2[H]4U
Looking for a good Debian-based Linux for a desktop environment (desc in my sig - sick of windows problems) I've primarily used Ubuntu (but memory issues have me looking for something else), Also tried Mint and happy with it, but want to know if there's a better option (would prefer to stick to debian since I'm familiar with the software avalible).

Primary use will be web-browsing/document + Image editing/media playback with some light gaming (most gaming will be either in a Virtualbox VM of W7 or a dual-boot W7 since last I checked windows steam games (mostly Bioshock series, HL series/Black Mesa, Chrysis, and Skyrim) dont play nice with Wine) only intensive task will be Plex Server.

MUST be x64 since I will have 32gb of RAM when I get around to updating my BIOS to support it (yes, I know it's "easy" but it's also stressful because one tiny blip and I have to order a new BIOS chip... so I'm kinda putting that off...)

Suggestions?

Debian is an OS and it's light...

I assumed some of the debian-based distros (Ubuntu, Mint, etc) might be better than the core (mostly from decades ago when Redhat was a pain in the tail to use, but other distros like Mandrake were much better implimented)

If the "original" Debian OS is best, I'll try it.

Any other opinions?

I assumed some of the debian-based distros (Ubuntu, Mint, etc) might be better than the core (mostly from decades ago when Redhat was a pain in the tail to use, but other distros like Mandrake were much better implimented)

If the "original" Debian OS is best, I'll try it.

Any other opinions?
The original is the best IMO. You'll likely want to do a window manager outside of the default one.
You could also check out arch Linux. And do your own window manager again. Remember these are barebones and likely won't include any of the additional software that one would expect on an OS from default.
In terms of lightweight, these can't be beat!

Debian net install if you're familiar with FOSS packages and what you want.

Crunchbang is another nice packaged Debian distribution. I've been using it a lot since their Waldorf release that was matched with Debian Wheezy.

MUST be x64 since I will have 32gb of RAM when I get around to updating my BIOS to support it (yes, I know it's "easy" but it's also stressful because one tiny blip and I have to order a new BIOS chip... so I'm kinda putting that off...)

Suggestions?

No it mustn't. Unlike Windows linux has a working PAE so your 32-bit OS can use up to 64Gb of ram. Only if you have apps that require more than 4Gb / app you need a 64-bit OS. So if you do movie editing, rendering etc. memory intensive work you should use the 64-bit version. For most other purposes the 32-bit will work just fine.

^ slight correction. The maximum process size for 32-bit Linux is effectively 3GB, not 4GB. Customized kernels (i.e. stuff removed so it's smaller) can bump that up to 3.5GB, but those are not used for major distributions since significant functionality is removed.

Crunchbang is a very lightweight and well done Linux based OS. It uses Openbox though, which might not be the best for productivity, but it does make it feel very lean.

Back