lights!

I have to agree, this stuff rocks! I have it running 1066 5-5-5-15 at 1.85v, I'm tired of my 680i board killing my ram every 8-12 weeks, so the lower voltage should help it to last a lot longer.

78138503.jpg

Is specifically the 680i board burning up ram?

I just broke down and bought some of these at The Egg. The rebate was too attractive. Will be my first Crucials. Unfortunately, I had already ordered the Ballistix DDR800's from buy.com and already shipped. Was told to refuse it for refund. How will these fair with the new 1600 FSB chip Intel will be comming out with? What exactly is the real specs behind that and how it would relate to this ram (fsb/ram speed)?

I don't see any point of waiting for the price drop on DDR3 anytime soon after it comes out since it's going to be some $600 per stick in Japan.

I hope this Crysis will not need more than 2g to run properly.
...doing motherboard research....hmmm The Infinity...

I just broke down and bought some of these at The Egg. The rebate was too attractive. Will be my first Crucials. Unfortunately, I had already ordered the Ballistix DDR800's from buy.com and already shipped. Was told to refuse it for refund. How will these fair with the new 1600 FSB chip Intel will be comming out with? What exactly is the real specs behind that and how it would relate to this ram (fsb/ram speed)?

The 680i has been known to overvolt RAM which kills it; this is why Crucial Ballistix will be good because they can run at low voltages, right?

Anyway, i think the Intel processors you are referring to are the one's with 333Mhz (1333Mhz QDR) FSB frequency; in which case, if you got one, then you will still have plently of headroom with this RAM because it can run at 400Mhz with no trouble at all. Hell, you could probably push it past 500Mhz with ease.

My 680i board has killed 2 sets of Corsair Dominator 1250mhz PC10000 which runs at 2.4v. These Ballistix will do 1066mhz at 1.85v, so I'm slightly slower, but the voltage shouldn't kill the ram anytime soon!

Woot, I just bought a pair just yesterday for $144. I'm still waiting to buy the rest of my rig when the time is right so I won't be able to test them anytime soon. I'm afraid ram prices will jump up soon so I pulled the trigger. :D

My 680i board has killed 2 sets of Corsair Dominator 1250mhz PC10000 which runs at 2.4v. These Ballistix will do 1066mhz at 1.85v, so I'm slightly slower, but the voltage shouldn't kill the ram anytime soon!

Geez, killed 2 sets? you sure you don't have a power issue in your house?

You running off of a voltage regulator? How old is the wiring in your place?

Geez, killed 2 sets? you sure you don't have a power issue in your house?

You running off of a voltage regulator? How old is the wiring in your place?

Yes, voltage regulated, built in the mid 80's. I'm sure power isn't the issue, it hasn't killed any other ram and I've had computers here for years with no other problems.

Weird,

Are you running your water cooling system on a different power source?

You might be near maxing out your 620w PSU when running at full load and that might be part of your issue, you might be getting some nasty voltage skewing...

I just had to get the 2gb pc6400 for $150 today. My kid loved the pics of the lights, so the purchase was mostly for him :D

Yeah right.

the camera strap! i was like "uh oh." *off*

as for the dead memory discussion.. i have a few theories on that, but i don't have time to get into it now. another day, perhaps after i've killed another stick or two ;)

I bought a pair from newegg after I read your review....:eek: Credit card bill will be high this month. I need some more parts to finish system. So far I got Bad Axe 2, E6300, Tuniq, Stacker 830. Need psu, video card, hard drive (waiting for 150 raptor), and dell 27" (price mistake anytime soon?:mad: ) One of the reason I bought these is because of the lights...lol All memory just looks so boring....Has anyone run these on Intel Bad Axe 2 board??

Yeah, nice review eclipse. I'll be following it when I start to overclock my ram. The sticks and the leds look a lot smaller in person than in pictures. Theres no doubt that the tracers are the best looking ram out there. :D

i was playing around with high voltage tonight now that the review is done.

2.77v got me this
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=195192

651mhz was almost 32M stable with 2.65v, but it's definitely pushing it for my memory controller, i was getting impatient so i gave up and now i'm going to bed :p

I have to agree, this stuff rocks! I have it running 1066 5-5-5-15 at 1.85v, I'm tired of my 680i board killing my ram every 8-12 weeks, so the lower voltage should help it to last a lot longer.
you too huh? it just killed my OCZ DDR2 PC9200 3 days ago.

I don't see any point of waiting for the price drop on DDR3 anytime soon after it comes out since it's going to be some $600 per stick in Japan.

I hope this Crysis will not need more than 2g to run properly.
...doing motherboard research....hmmm The Infinity...

I was looking at EVGA forums and found out its mostly nvidia boards but there are some others.

OUCH, that sucks dude. did you try rma the board?

you too huh? it just killed my OCZ DDR2 PC9200 3 days ago.

OUCH, that sucks dude. did you try rma the board?

Oy, don't even get me started! This is my 3rd motherboard from EVGA. Mike from Corsair wants me to try another set, but I don't see what difference it's going to make.

Eclipse:
5 months from now I want to apply your memory sub-timings setting to my board and CPU I have then. Could be an E6600, Penryn, or some new AMD quad-core.
If you had posted your subtimings would they work the same on a different system. It's the same ram, but everything else will be different than yours. I would like to use this thread as a reference for oc'ing my sticks. However, I don't think all the timings are posted right. Do you have some of these sub-timings on "auto."

I was looking at EVGA forums and found out its mostly nvidia boards but there are some others.

Does this mean the Asus Asus P5N32-E SLi or Striker Extreme doesn't have all these problems? I'm really put off by the RAM problems people have experienced with the 680i boards; it sure would be nice if the non-reference designs didn't suffer from the same problems.

Eclipse:
5 months from now I want to apply your memory sub-timings setting to my board and CPU I have then. Could be an E6600, Penryn, or some new AMD quad-core.
If you had posted your subtimings would they work the same on a different system. It's the same ram, but everything else will be different than yours. I would like to use this thread as a reference for oc'ing my sticks. However, I don't think all the timings are posted right. Do you have some of these sub-timings on "auto."

i have everything set manually.. but i'll warn you now, most of the timings i have available, i've never seen as options on intel motherboards. the memory controllers work completely differently. ;)

but give me a few hours, i'll get back from class and post the optimal timings at 5-5-4, 4-4-4 and 3-3-3 :D

Does this mean the Asus Asus P5N32-E SLi or Striker Extreme doesn't have all these problems? I'm really put off by the RAM problems people have experienced with the 680i boards; it sure would be nice if the non-reference designs didn't suffer from the same problems.

all nvidia 680I chipsets if set near 2.4V on ram seems to be most of the problem. I heard some ppl had there ram die at 2.2V so anything near 2.4V will make it die slowly :(

So far i have no problems with my first DDR2 PC6400 Gskills and used them overclocked at 2V @ 4-4-4-12 timings.

I return my ocz for refund and ordered more of the gskills and they are also on sale on newegg.

So far my corsair and ocz's died. :(

And its getting messier lol...... This is how she looks right now, getting ready for my next bench session...... Do you think dry ice on the ballistix will help? I think its time these boys get a taste of 3v+ ......

Not sure the capacitors in the DRAM will work better or worse at -70C
You can try it, though. Hopefully it won't fry anything. Post back results!

i suppose it's really whether capacitor charge/discharge speed or transistor switching speed is the limiting factor in how high they clock.. :D

for the timings... refer to this: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1031001094&postcount=78
they are listed in the order shown in the bios

for 5-5-4
level 9
normal
1.25 (1.5 for >2.3v)
1.25 (1.5 for >2.3v)
enable

400mhz
disable
7 or 8ns
enable
75ohm
2.5x
enable
auto

for 4-4-4
level 9
weak
1.25 (1.5 for >2.6v)
1.0 (1.5 > 2.6v)
1.5 (1.25 for >2.6v)
enable

400mhz
disable
7ns
enable
75ohm
2.5x
enable
auto

for 3-3-3
level 9
weak
enable

333mhz
disable
6ns
enable
50ohm
2.5x
enable
auto

now you might say that a lot of these are the same. i know, it's cause most of those timings are either as tight as i can set, or are optimal values for performance, and tighter deteriorates this

Thanks SOOO' MUCH Eclipse. Your time and favor and detailed info will go greatly appreciated.
I just refused my buy.com ddr800's package today since my Tracers will be here tomorrow from newegg.

Sounds like the 680i board is giving the rams too much current.

Sounds like the 680i board is giving the rams too much current.

there's a lot of things that could be going on, from a poorly designed voltage regulation circuit that cannot supply the power at higher voltages without spiking, or the default drive strength is far too high, which would indeed give the ram too much current

So far i have no problems with my first DDR2 PC6400 Gskills and used them overclocked at 2V @ 4-4-4-12 timings.

Is that an HZ kit? I'll probably just get some G.Skill PC2-6400 HZ or Crucial Ballistix PC2-6400 since they're both on the recommended RAM for the eVGA 680i board and use Micron D9GMH ICs, right?

I don't know if anyone has mentioned in this thread yet or not but the PC2-8500 sticks are down to $144.99 AR on Newegg now. I went for the cheaper PC2-8000 Tracers for $109.99 AR + $10 coupon though.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned in this thread yet or not but the PC2-8500 sticks are down to $144.99 AR on Newegg now. I went for the cheaper PC2-8000 Tracers for $109.99 AR + $10 coupon though.

Wow, you guys have it good. In the UK a normal 2GB PC2-6400 set of Crucial Ballistix runs us about £120; that's over $200. Plus, we don't even have the Tracer versions over here (not that i know of, anyway). :(

/rant

The New arrival!!

TheArrival1.jpg

Inthebox2.jpg

Revealed3.jpg

Inhernewhome4.jpg

Sweet5.jpg

Getapairend.jpg

The Corsairs TWINXP in Rig2 "DDR not DDR2"​
thecorsairs.jpg

Someones mod, looks cool​
Shrike000.jpg

The wiring is kind of hard because of the South Bridge (generates lots of heat so I do not want cabling running directly over it) and the clearance below the 8800gtx.

The EPS power cable is the big one.

If I had a Modular PSU it would be better, but it is kind of not in my $$ to change over a good powersupply to a new one just for that reason.

Back