Lighting dilemma: A Purple Haze

RazorOye

Limp Gawd
So I just got my CM Stacker filled and built - but the colors of the lights/fans I ordered I don't care for.

I went with purple - saw a purple lit PC and thought it looked regal and understated. Now that I have it, though, I don't care for it.

I have two purple LED fans (one 80 and one 120) that are really not very luminescent and you can't really see them very well. Meanwhile, the purple cold cathodes aren't really purple - it's a little too washed out to be considered purple. Purplish maybe. Almost white - but not really an intense enough purple. It's like the cathodes are too light and faded and the LEDs are really too dark to give off enough light. In between the two would be the purplish perfection I saw in one case.

I'm considering green - anyone have green lit and like the colors?

The only notes are:
1. the case's led's are blue - could change those out I suppose
2. the Gatewatch fan monitor system I have has three color options: blue, purple, and red
3. there is an etch I did on the window I cut into the Stacker and would like it to show up more - is cold cathode enough? The purpl'ish' just doesn't make it stand out very well.

Thanks in advance -

the leds on the cooler master? which ones? Or do you mean the LCD on the AeroCool Gatewatch?

I'm just not clear which you're referring to.

Oh, and I believe I will go with blue - the blue LEDs on the Stacker are nice and I don't want to switch them out.

Also - Are cold cathode tubes the best way to light up an etch?

And, how many cold cathodes would be enough? Will two be enough or should I run four - two at the top of the chassis and two at the bottom.

And just to reiterate - purple cold cathodes are not that purple.

I've seen green lit cases before, and they looked good, it's just not for me. I'm partial to blue myself. If you are stuck on purple, you might consider going UV, but I'm not sure that's purple. if you want a really unique look, you could go to a school supply, or somewhere that sells theatre supplies, and get purple gells and wrap those around the cathodes.

daragon said:
I've seen green lit cases before, and they looked good, it's just not for me. I'm partial to blue myself. If you are stuck on purple, you might consider going UV, but I'm not sure that's purple. if you want a really unique look, you could go to a school supply, or somewhere that sells theatre supplies, and get purple gells and wrap those around the cathodes.

this will sound ignorant - but what are theater gels?

I think I'm really over the purple. The LED fans aren't enough - no real light is emitted. They just sort of glow.

While the green looks good, I think I'm growing partial to blue myself.

I just don't know if cold cathode is the best and how many I should get. I'd like to place the order with xoxide today if possible so I can finally finish the wire mgmt.

I used to have purple lighting in my wifes case, and your right about the purple CC giving off a purplish-whitish-pinkish color :mad:

i used dark purple nail polish on the CCs. This got me the desired purple color, but still didn't illuminate the case enough. I just posted some pics in the "Post your workplace" thread and you can't even SEE the purple fans in the front of her case. After keeping that color scheme for a year i just swapped out all the purple for red. I like it much better :cool:

I've got a couple of purple LED fans which I thought gave a nice light but I wanted it a bit brighter so I bought a purple cathode - it's almost a pinkish white when lit, not what I was after either. I'm very tempted to just use a purple ink wash (games workshop type) over the tube and see if that solves the colour issue.

At the moment (without the cathode switched on) I'm running 2 red LED fans (1x90mm top of case in roof vent, 1x120 in vented Hiper power PSU) 1x90mm purple on side of case and 1 blue on graphics card fan. it's just a little too subdued.

RazorOye said:
this will sound ignorant - but what are theater gels?.

It's not ignorant, not many people know what they are, I was just in a hurry. They are a clear-ish piece of plastic that is put in front of high heat lights that are pointed at the stage. They are colored in whatever color you want and are as easy to shape and work with as paper, but they won't tare as easily. You could just buy 1 sheet of it, in whatever color you want, and cut a 1inch x 12inch sliver and wrap your cathode.

daragon said:
It's not ignorant, not many people know what they are, I was just in a hurry. They are a clear-ish piece of plastic that is put in front of high heat lights that are pointed at the stage. They are colored in whatever color you want and are as easy to shape and work with as paper, but they won't tare as easily. You could just buy 1 sheet of it, in whatever color you want, and cut a 1inch x 12inch sliver and wrap your cathode.

ahhh... i know what you're talking about now. A cool idea - have you ever tried it?

I've got a couple of purple LED fans which I thought gave a nice light but I wanted it a bit brighter so I bought a purple cathode - it's almost a pinkish white when lit, not what I was after either. I'm very tempted to just use a purple ink wash (games workshop type) over the tube and see if that solves the colour issue.

I'd be curious to know how it comes out of you tried it. If you do, keep us posted.

Well, I am just glad to know that I am not the only one with the color purple issues. I just wish I would've known before committing to the cold cathodes and fans I bought.

Is getting 4 cold cathodes overkill? (I'm leaning toward blue)

razor, teh blue leds on the power console of the stacker is hella bright. but everyone is using blue. ive been using a red black theme in all my cases and want to poke out the blue elds on the power since it contrasts with red so much.

If you havnt bought the ccfl's yet http://svc.com/ has really good prices on fans lighting everything you could think of

I have the http://svc.com/crquuvledfan.html they dont light up everything around them but they glow themselves quite nicely

On my case im going for the everything i can uv it idea but the uv ccfl's give i nice purple glow not alot though but what the light hits it shows purple though

But, you could get the http://svc.com/lazerledsblue.html or http://svc.com/laledcabl.html to light up particular areas

Yeah, I did it with orange. But I didn't like the way orange looked, so I decided to go blue

thanks for the link migit - they had everything I wanted - even the mousepad - at prices lower than I've seen

And I thought about orange for a little bit too - but ended up passing.

Blue is seeming more and more like an inevitability.

nice to see i can help i cant remember who gave me that link but it was a while back
but the only thing i can say they dont have the best selection on is cpu's, mobo's, video cards, and memory mabey hd's too but they do have some stuff

Back