Lightest Live Linux OS that supports making Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) connections?

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
I am looking for a lightweight live Linux OS that would allow me to connect to a machine running Windows OS via RDP.

lightweight linux was a big deal 10 years ago when there were still 1gb or less flash drives floating around. i remember using puppy linux. whats the point now? ubuntu gnome installs easily on a 8gb drive and run great in live mode at around 2gb ram

I get the impression the term 'lightweight' has multiple meanings these days.

Personally, I want a linux distribution that's going to install as little bloatware as possible. And by bloatware, I pretty much mean anything other than what I personally need at the moment of install.

If I need something additional, I'd rather install it myself when I need it, and not a bunch of stuff I don't or won't ever need cluttering up my application menus.

I think that's why I've taken to Arch. Once the base package is installed, I can customize it to my liking.

For "lightweight" I am expecting the OS to have a boot time of "lightning fast" from a USB 1.1 port with a feature set equal to a zero client (bare minimum requirements + straight-up RDP capability). Reality is likely different based on what is available, though.

For "lightweight" I am expecting the OS to have a boot time of "lightning fast" from a USB 1.1 port with a feature set equal to a zero client (bare minimum requirements + straight-up RDP capability). Reality is likely different based on what is available, though.

You could always use a tool like;
https://www.linux-live.org/
to create your own live disk. Perhaps take a base distro running openbox or i3 or any of the window managers you like.... install or uninstall everything you don't need. Install the remote software you like... and bundle it up. (For the record I have my own live key I use when I need it that is striped to the boards and has a handful of tools I might need... like chntpw and other such things. Thankfully I don't do a lot of that type of work anymore "for silly windows users" but its handy if I need it... having said that for most people having a kali key handy covers that.)

Its a bit more work but you could probably get exactly what you want.

Last edited:
Back