Light bulb flicker when turning on after long time off.

mgty23

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello. I have question. I dont know if i have faulty wiring,bad installation or its bulb. When i have lights off long time and turn on lightning ( bulb halogen ) , there is a for 2-3 second bulb dimm/flicker and its normal. Happens only when lightning is off long time and i turn on.

When i turn off lights and turn on again its fine. That flicker/dimm happens only when lights are off long time. That happens for example if i have lights off 2-3 hours and turn on. Thx

Hello. I have question. I dont know if i have faulty wiring,bad installation or its bulb. When i have lights off long time and turn on lightning ( bulb halogen ) , there is a for 2-3 second bulb dimm/flicker and its normal. Happens only when lightning is off long time and i turn on.

When i turn off lights and turn on again its fine. That flicker/dimm happens only when lights are off long time. That happens for example if i have lights off 2-3 hours and turn on. Thx
Depends on the actual bulb type and wattage.
Large halogen bulbs require a beefy power supply and the bulb itself takes a few seconds to warm up. Also voltage and environmental temperature play a role. The initial power draw amperage for a halogen can be very high.

If you've got it on a dimmer, it could be the dimmer warming up too. Not that you should mix florescent bulbs with dimmers. Florescents also take longer to start when it's colder, and it's colder everywhere in the US this week.

That is not a halogen. And it is entirely normal for that type of bulb to be dim and flicker. Its not an electrical problem. And it will actually take longer as the bulb ages.

Yes that is a CFL-NI (Compact Fluorescent Lamp Non-Integrated)

Is this actually what you have or just a representation of the lamp type like you have?

If you've got it on a dimmer, it could be the dimmer warming up too. Not that you should mix florescent bulbs with dimmers. Florescents also take longer to start when it's colder, and it's colder everywhere in the US this week.

The actual dimmable fluorescent lamps need a special ballast for dimming and most also require a special dimmer for the brand and model of ballast, the type lamp posted are usually used in commercial recessed cans with the ballast mounted to the inside of the can (can be accessed by pulling the can down which is a PITA but it is possible)
I love old school lighting tech I got a free Metal Halide flood light when the apartment complex "upgraded" to LED trash! The metal halides were working fine with just normal maintenance (such as lamp changes and cleaning of the dirt & bugs and bird nests eww!) the LED have all failed (some more then once!) and the company that made them are no longer in business (what a surprise, NOT)

Most of the commercial lights are 277VAC but most modern ballasts are multiple voltage magnetic HID ballasts have multiple input taps, and the modern electronic ballasts are universal input (like PC power supplies with PFC) 120-277VAC.

Back