Life of Security Professionals

Digital39

Weaksauce
I have for a long time been interested in becoming qualified to work in a security position and I hoping some pen testers and security professionals could fill me in on the life of the job.

I have heard in the past about jobs where 3 days of work landed a 10k payout (2 testers), what level do you need to be to get jobs that give payouts that high or higher?

Is it a high stress job?

Do you need to travel a lot or can you do a lot of it remotely?

Other than reading books or websites can you recommend high quality training available through video or full online courses?

Thanks

I have for a long time been interested in becoming qualified to work in a security position and I hoping some pen testers and security professionals could fill me in on the life of the job.

I have heard in the past about jobs where 3 days of work landed a 10k payout (2 testers), what level do you need to be to get jobs that give payouts that high or higher?

Is it a high stress job?

Do you need to travel a lot or can you do a lot of it remotely?

Other than reading books or websites can you recommend high quality training available through video or full online courses?

Thanks

Well to start off, I think the best place to start is taking the Security + Courses, then look into the SSCP. The SSCP is the next step up in the Security classes. It will teach you all the realms of security that you will need to master. As for websites, just doing a simple search for computer security or network security should land you a million hits. I know my job can be stressful at times, every job can be. But with the right training and experience any problem can look easy.
Well hope that helps a little

i've recently moved into a security related role and love it. i'm at work at the mo so i will write back properly later. from what i've heard if you have a cissp you can pretty much write your own pay check. that is, of course, if you pass the 6 hour 250 question exam!

DoD Directive 8570.1 suggests the following certs for technical staff.

Technical l
A+ • Network + • TICSA • SSCP
Technical II
GSEC • Security + • SCNP • SSCP
Technical III
CISSP • SCNA • CISA • GSE

Thanks -(Xyphox)-,

Is the CISSP any good?

Yes.

i've recently moved into a security related role and love it. i'm at work at the mo so i will write back properly later. from what i've heard if you have a cissp you can pretty much write your own pay check. that is, of course, if you pass the 6 hour 250 question exam!

That sounds more like an interrogation... does the certification price include the rental fee for the polygraph machine? and do they provide the bamboo chutes? :D

Thanks for the information this will help a lot

You can't just take the test to receive a CISSP. You also need relevant work experience. (And with the relevant work experience the test shouldn't be too difficult.)

I am taking my MCP in 2 weeks. Then I am going to start the above tracks for technician I-III

I am taking my MCP in 2 weeks. Then I am going to start the above tracks for technician I-III

Good Stuff, hope you pass. Try to get work experience also, cert's are one thing, the work experience is a big difference

Good Stuff, hope you pass. Try to get work experience also, cert's are one thing, the work experience is a big difference

Thanks!

I have an Associates as well as the Net+ cert.

I've been working help desk for the past couple of years. I have entry level IT experience. I need to find that next step. I have always been interested in NetSec, just never knew where to start. I always followed mainstream (Cisco, MS, etc) certs. I used to work on the Navy & Marine Help Desk and really want to get back into being a government employee or contractor again.

I have the Sec+ book already, so I will do that next I presume. Then I will follow the previously mentioned steps. I found out that my school as a IS Security track, which covers network,client, server, and database security. So I may switch my major to that.

Thanks!

I have an Associates as well as the Net+ cert.

I've been working help desk for the past couple of years. I have entry level IT experience. I need to find that next step. I have always been interested in NetSec, just never knew where to start. I always followed mainstream (Cisco, MS, etc) certs. I used to work on the Navy & Marine Help Desk and really want to get back into being a government employee or contractor again.

I have the Sec+ book already, so I will do that next I presume. Then I will follow the previously mentioned steps. I found out that my school as a IS Security track, which covers network,client, server, and database security. So I may switch my major to that.

Sounds like a good idea, With the classes i hope your professor's work in the field its even better that way

Back