Lie Detecting AI Kiosks May Be The Future of Border Security

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by rgMekanic, May 15, 2018.

1. rgMekanic

rgMekanic [H]ard|News Staff Member

CNBC is reporting that The U.S Department of Homeland Security funded research of a technology called the Automated Virtual Agent for Truth Assessments in Real-Time, or AVATAR, and about six years ago tested on volunteer travelers at the U.S.-Mexico border. According to one of the developers of the system AVATAR has a success rate of 60-75 percent in deception-detection. In the future, the AI powered kiosks could be used to provide initial screenings of people crossing the border, and flag people for human security to check out of it detects deception.

Very cool practical use of AI in my opinion, provided the accuracy is what the team claims it is. This coupled with face recognition could really speed up the process of border crossings in the future. Little try-hard on the name tho.

"The technology has much broader applications potentially," despite most of the funding for the original work coming primarily from the Defense or Homeland Security departments a decade ago, according to Aaron Elkins, one of the developers of the system and an assistant professor at the San Diego State University director of its Artificial Intelligence Lab. He added that AVATAR is not a commercial product yet but could be also used in human resources for screening.

2. JosiahBradley

JosiahBradley [H]ard|Gawd

Sigh what could possibly go wrong. 60-75% accuracy is as good as an educated guess. God I hate "AI" in its current state and applications. Sure keep trying to make it better but fuck no to production environments.

DrezKill and BloodDonor like this.
  3. Simmonz

Simmonz 2[H]4U

Would love to have politicians forced to read their speaches to these kiosks.

qb4ever, DrezKill, John721 and 8 others like this.
  4. BillNutz

BillNutz Limp Gawd

Where does the portable water-boarder goes?

Retronym and mynamehere like this.
  5. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

6. MRAB54

MRAB54 Gawd

You know how the computer would tell if they are lying???

If their lips are moving! Joke, courtesy of my Dad.

7. ruffbytes

ruffbytes Limp Gawd

There is a danger to this where agents will trust the kiosk more than their own eyes and hassle folks who are just nervous at border crossings, etc.

But if the line moves faster and agents think of this as a tool, but not absolute truth, it sounds pretty good to me.

mynamehere likes this.
  8. WhoMe

WhoMe Gawd

Next step it'll zap you with 10,000V (and a few mA) if it thinks you're lying...as an added incentive to be truthful and only 40% will be falsely shocked. The real bad guys will be taught how to beat it (keep your eyes focused on one spot etc.).

mynamehere likes this.
  9. Chikia12187

Chikia12187 [H]Lite

Priceless !

10. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow [H]ardForum Junkie

mynamehere likes this.
  11. sadsteve

sadsteve Limp Gawd

Heh, and I can tell you by personal experience you don't want to be shocked by high voltage. Years ago I got zapped by a 20KV Helium Neon laser power supply, first time I could actually taste the metal fillings in my teeth. Yes, they taste bad.

12. PantherBlitz

PantherBlitz Limp Gawd

How soon before the AI is accused of profiling?

GoldenTiger and mynamehere like this.
  13. katanaD

katanaD Gawd

I think one thing that is going to be an issue, is we will not be able to review the reasons its uses for its conclusions. It will be kept secret, which is for me an issue for anything used in a law enforcement capacity.

14. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ [H]ardness Supreme

only a moron would lie at a border crossing.

they flag your shit and you can be banned for life.

the truth will set you free.

15. Retronym

Retronym Something big is coming.

16. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

We need actual competent people working the border. I have a friend who went to Israel with his brother's wife (the rest of the family was already in the country) and they both got pulled into different rooms and questioned. They said "this isn't the person you normally travel to Israel with, who is this other person? Where is the other person you normally travel with?" Once everything was cleared up they were free to go. And to be clear, both of them are Israeli citizens. This is the level that their version of the TSA operates at. Compare that to our TSA? We're not even in the same galaxy.

17. dgz

dgz [H]ardness Supreme

18. Babbster

Babbster [H]ard|Gawd

Don't blame AI for lie detection inaccuracy. That's a function of lie detection being a straight-up pseudoscience, and you can bet that the truth is closer to 50-60% than 60-75%. It's all coin-flipping bullshit to which only government agencies lend any credence.

19. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Better yet, give them a US history quiz & ask them what skills they posses.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  20. steakman1971

steakman1971 [H]ard|Gawd

Wasn't there a movie where someone had to speak to a kiosk? Might be thinking of 2001 Space Odyssey.

21. theBrownLlama

theBrownLlama Limp Gawd

well, Israel is in a state of perpetual war , gobbling up enemies' lands every year. So whats the surprise...

22. amddragonpc

amddragonpc [H]ard|Gawd

Traveler: No Habla Ingles

Kiosk: Move along.

23. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

It might be interesting to read a history book that isn't written by an antisemite. It might give you a different perspective on things.

24. Olle P

Olle P Limp Gawd

You mean the face recognition used by British police that has ~95% false positives?
    Seems pretty useless to me.

Why would you want that from tourists?