Lian Li V1020 Case Mod(No name yet)

TeeJay88

Limp Gawd
This case mod is a progression of my previous case mods, as well a learning experience for my new modding ventures. Since Im a poor college kid, this mod will most likely not be done for 2 months, but I should be able to do many small updates along the way.

Hardware(my current hardware)
i7920 at 3.6ghz with stock voltage
Asus P6T
Nvidia 260GTX 216 to be replaced with 560 ti after i move in August
6 gigs G. Skill
500 Seagate
H50

My current case is a Silverstone TJ09 with a custom window, replaced case leds, and a few custom cables.
DSCF8278.jpg

With this case mod I want to do more plexiglass engraving, more led work, more custom cables, and small circuit etching. I would also like to have it powered coated, white exterior and black interior(if anybody in madison wi knows anybody that would be great, lol).

Well anyways shall we start.
103_0243.jpg

Beautiful and light.

103_0250.jpg

Side panel taped up and measured out for cutting.

103_0258.jpg

Rough cut with tape residue. I slipped with the dremel and marred the side panel a little bit, but a buddy of mine sent me a link for this chemical thats similar to anodizing.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4941/Product/ALUMINUM_BLACK

P1010428.jpg

Edges filed and evened out.

P1010429.jpg

Old power and hdd leds removed. Replaced with orange leds and sleeved up.

P1010430.jpg

Girlfriend approved.

I am currently waiting for an order I put in Performance-PCS:
25 3mm orange leds
20 5mm orange leds
black molex connectors
black sata power connectors
18g and 26g wire
perforated pci covers to match the front

This is the first of several orders. The next order will hopefully be for the parts for the custom fan bus im planning out and trying to engrave.

If i can figure out what i want to engrave on the side panel, i can start that tomorrow. And with luck my order will come in so i can install the leds in the side panel. Which will be controlled by a drive bay rocker switch mod.

Anyways thanks for your views and thoughts.

P1010431.jpg

Mounting bolts for the window, I was considering going with a low profile bolt, but I really like how machine like they look.

P1010435.jpg

Holes drilled in the panel.

P1010441.jpg

Frontside mounted.

P1010442.jpg

Backside mounted.

P1010446.jpg

This is the image i chose to engrave, its a great pic but it has a lot of shading that wont transfer well.

P1010454.jpg

About an hour or so of engraving, its not bad, im proud of it, but the shading transfered about as well as i thought it would.

P1010456.jpg

Just a view of the panel installed on case.

Hopefully tomorrow i can start working on circuit boards so im ready when my order gets here. Im also going to try and get some 7 volt fan mods done, some cable extensions done so i dont have any extension cables. Some small cable sleeving to do. I also want to make a plexiglass or aluminum connection panel so I can better hide psu cables and only use what i need.

Last edited:
yeah, its double clad copper PCB dissolved with ferric chloride. But thank you, I still have some touch up work to do on the engraving.

yeah, its double clad copper PCB dissolved with ferric chloride. But thank you, I still have some touch up work to do on the engraving.

That's an interesting concept. I may try that later, Any tutorials?

Very nice work.
How did you get the edges of the window so even cutting with a dremel? Does it look that good right when your done, or do you even it out a ton with a file, etc.?

I didnt really use the dremel, i tried but i didnt like the outcome, i used a jigsaw with a 24TPI metal blade and then just filed it with a half round bastard file until i was happy with it.

As for tutorials for making your own pcb there all over the place, im trying the sharpie method and the laser printer method, and the ferric chloride hydrochloric acid mix can be bought at radioshack for $10.

I didnt really use the dremel, i tried but i didnt like the outcome, i used a jigsaw with a 24TPI metal blade and then just filed it with a half round bastard file until i was happy with it.

As for tutorials for making your own pcb there all over the place, im trying the sharpie method and the laser printer method, and the ferric chloride hydrochloric acid mix can be bought at radioshack for $10.

Thanks i will be doing this soon.

I used the cut out from the window to make the connection panel, so i could have clean custom cords. I'll have to sand it down but, thats ok.

P1010459.jpg

Panel cutout.

P1010461.jpg

Not a lot of room.

P1010465.jpg

Cut and drilled. The lower left bolt hole is not in its position when compared to right, but I had to do it with a dremel. But you wont see it when the panel is on.

P1010467.jpg

Grazed by the dremel at 30,000 rpms, thank it was just a graze.

P1010468.jpg

This is just a mock setup until my led order gets here, I just wanted to show you guys part of my intentions with this panel.

You shouldn't have drilled those holes for the side panel!!!!!!

Why not use 3M 4010 tape.

So much more cleaner without the holes and hardware.

Here's is my X900 that I replaced the side panel on because I couldn't stand the original with exposed hardware....

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

I had considered using 3M tape, but I didnt for multiple reasons. First I want an easily interchangeable window, as I might do another version with side intake fans. Second, I am planning on modding one of the drive bay covers using these bolts(I have to plan it out yet.) Third, I want to eventually have the case painted or powder coated white, and the black bolts would contrast the side panel really well.

Just out of curiosity, did you have your panel laser cut, it looks really good, I still have some fine filing to do.

I should get a handle on Google Sketch Up so you guys can see what i have planned.

This case is legitimately sexy. and girlfriend approved? Please... if she's good with modding, that's a wife man!

No just a dremel like you used I assume? And then I used a Black and Decker "Mouse" sander to straighten the lines perfectly. Started with 120 sandpaper I think and went up to 800 grit. Then a few swipes with a white abrasive pad to give it just a bit of a brushed look.

I used a jigsaw, I really admire how incredibly clean yours is. Looks like I still have some sanding to do.

Im sorry for the lack of an update, I was recently put on a medication that caused excruciating pain in my legs and made it hard for me to get around, but i have most of the rocker switch bay cover planned out, which is really only temporary until I can afford 5 vandel switches(about $100) But today I have to study for my final so I will try to get some modding in after my final. So thank you to those of you who are interested in this mod and being patient.

Looks very good, it's going to be a very sleek mod. I like the etching very much.

Just a small update.

P1010480.jpg

Here is the rocker switch bay cover about 50% done, I have to go and buy a step down drill bit. The three lower holes are pilot holes for the rocker switches. I have to scuff up the led holders so can paint them black.

And heres what happens when the bit binds and torques what your drilling.
P1010472.jpg

The bay cover spun, and I forget to put on my work gloves, so it sliced me open real fast.

Oh, and Im still waiting on my order. Which I put in on friday, with 2-3 day shipping, which they finally shipped out yesterday. I think you guys are really gonna dig what i have planned.

Rocker Switches installed. These rocker switches will control light sources or fans within the case.
P1010486.jpg

Now I just have to wait on my order, I cant get to much further without it, some sanding, filing, and maybe I can play around with some pcb etching.

Ok, so I lied, I was able to get the pre-wiring done for the rocker panel.

P1010491.jpg

Resistors solder on for the leds.

P1010498.jpg

Mostly wired, will be sleeved when the leds get here.

My order has come in, so my entire day is going to be dedicated to soldering.

P1010500.jpg

The order.

P1010501.jpg

My original soldering attempt.

P1010502.jpg

While I was having a cigarette I realized I could wire it like this, saving me several feet of wire. And I realize I that the connections are a bit long, and i dont have shrink tube over them, I wanted to test them first to make sure everything worked.

P1010503.jpg

The start of the wiring for the led panel.

P1010504.jpg

P1010505.jpg

The plate with its leds in.

I intend on remaking this plate because im not entirely happy with the outcome, but given my that I dont have a workshop or proper tools to fabricate metal like I would like to, its not to bad.

Well more soldering to do.

Last edited:
Man! how close was she standing when the tackle box blew up?

Nice job! man I will keep and eye on the finished work!

Fan mod- Led change out-Blue to Orange

P1010509.jpg

2.9 volts to power the leds

P1010510.jpg

P1010511.jpg

1 Led out and replaced with orange

P1010512.jpg

1 fan completed, about and hour. Just some hot glue left and its done.

Project-Fallen At Dawn

P1010520.jpg

Let the light show begin.

P1010521.jpg

P1010523.jpg

P1010524.jpg

P1010525.jpg

I have to come up with a better solution than hot glue to hold in the LEDs

Next update should be the finish rocker panel.

I have the rocker panel finished aside from sleeving it, and my hardware switched over, the only problem is my wireless is no longer working, the device manager sees it but flags it because somethings wrong with it. I think i have fried the little bugger by not placing it on an anti static bag, but just on piece of plastic which could have held a charge... bummer. Well replacement card tomorrow, and a whole lot of cable management, cable sleeving, custome cables, and reworking the leds in the side panel as it doesnt want to close right in its current state.

Nightmare of a day, ntldr errors, gpart formatting on both hdds, re-installations, win7 refusing to accept my software key,bios updates, and im still working on it all. I think when I have some extra funds, im going to upgrade my motherboard when i upgrade my videocard.

I knew it was coming, either my motherboard is dieing or my video card is dieing. once I install the gpu drivers it hangs on startup everytime. It will boot into safemode, but thats it. Im going to submit an RMA for both of them.

But anyways heres a small update.

P1010586.jpg

Keyboard top with first coat of paint, waiting at least a few days then I will wet sand and put a second coat on.

P1010587.jpg

Blemish on the the keyboard that im going to work with.

P1010589.jpg

The back panel with 3 coats self etching primer, wet sanding and then 2 more coats.

P1010590.jpg

Front panel with 3 coats self etching primer, wet sanding and then 2 more coats and then first coat of gloss white.

P1010592.jpg

same as the front.

P1010596.jpg

Now aside from waiting for what i already have done to dry i have to drill out the rivets in the rest of the case.

Panels have been wet sanded and had there second coat applied, unfortunately I live in an apartment with no garage so I have to paint outside and its was slightly windy and in the 45 seconds it took to spay the front panel, 3 little pieces of grass managed to make there way to the front side panel and I had to pick them off so there is three little blemished spots so I have to wait for this panel to dry to the point where I can dry sand it and put and make these spots even so this panel is going to require 4 coats where the other parts im only planning on doing 3 coats. No point in crying over split paint;). More practice I guess, and I should like into building a small paint booth.

Ill post pictures tomorrow, but I ran over to my local hardware store to grab aluminum corner stock and flat stock to make a fold up paint booth, but i realized it was going to take funds out of the mod, and im also moving soon and i dont want to have to move more than i need to, and then it dawned on me that i still had my TJ09 box, So with that in mind i grabbed a metal rod to hold the item im painting and put that through the upper parts of the side of the box and cut out one of the large sides, and paint booth was made for less than 2 dollars, now when im move though i will build the collapsible paint booth, but for now this is perfect.

Small paint update. Ive stripped the case down, roughed it up and started priming, although it only has one coat at the moment.

P1010602.jpg

My temporary make shift paint booth.

P1010609.jpg

4th coat, I have actually applied the 5th coat and im allowing it to cure over the weekend and then a 1000 grit wet sand and ill do 2 gloss coats with 1000 grit sands in between.

P1010619.jpg

P1010620.jpg

P1010629.jpg

P1010628.jpg

Stripping the case down to, well, nothing.

P1010623.jpg

Everything was going fine until this bit got pinched and snapped within seconds.

P1010638.jpg

The damage from the aftermath of the snapped bit. Looks ill have to get the files outs and spend some loving time with them before I start priming this piece.

P1010639.jpg

The main piece of the case primed.

P1010640.jpg

The collective whole of what I have painted. I also have to wet sand the keyboard, give one more light coat and go through the gloss coat process with it.

Well hopefully all will be finished by thursday, and then I get to start my RMA process. Well I still have to work with the hard drive cage im building.

For painting the case i've been using rustoleum self etching primer with rustoleum universal gloss white, and for the main body I was thinking of using high performance enamel gloss white. Has anybody had any experience with this paint, is it wet sandable, does it adhere well, any help would be great.

Hey folks, guess what, more paint updates. Right about now your thinking would this jerk quit posting this crap. Trust me Im trying as fast as I can, I love modding but, I hate painting. So hopefully this can be done within the next few days, so I can move on to the fun stuff again.

P5221326-Copy.jpg

Finished side panel, well gloss coats need to be done.

P5221328-Copy.jpg

The start of the small part painting.

P5231329.jpg

Second primer coat.

P5231344.jpg

P5231346.jpg

The first coat of paint. I have some sanding to do on the faceplate as there is a very small runny spot. The interior portions still need there first coat but I didn't grab enough paint and its getting to be late.

Well I can only let you live partially through me, because the interior parts are black. So I have a white shell and side panels with black accents, I still have to do the back sides of the panels yet, but then again I have a shit ton of painting to do.
But In the mean time I hope you enjoy these pics.

P5231352.jpg

P5231348.jpg

A little snake in the grass.

I just placed my order for the counter sunk rivets, as not a damn hardware store in this town carries them. Ive moved from Rustoleum Universal paint to Rustoleum High Performance enamel, and Ive decided to redo alot of the sleeving work Ive done so its white sleeve with black shrink, instead of black on black. The enamel has to harden for two days so gives me time to plan maybe some R and R with the guitar.

I recieved my rivets and have assembled most of the case, Im just not happy with the way the paint came out so im getting estimates to have it sand blasted and powder coated. In the mean time i have and estimate for a sheet of aluminum for a custom face plate and a plate to replace the led plate by the psu.
Im also in the process of measuring for the water cooling loop, oh yeah ive decided to venture into water cooling using a 280 radiator, although it will be a cpu only loop. I will post pictures of what the case looks like later tonight of what it looks like, its not bad but it needs alot of touch up and it chips easy.

Last edited:
Well I got an estimate for 200 dollars to sand blast and powder coat the case, im going to send the guy I talked to a more detailed email informing him that I also need some interior parts powder coated although im worried about the 5.25 bay rack as its thinner aluminum, so Im going to touch up the paint on the case for the time being, im not going to finish what hasn't been painted and im going to start fabricating the bay cover faceplate.

But anyways heres the case.
P5251373.jpg

The chips in the paint(thats three coats with sand in between each and an etching primer below to start with)

P5241369.jpg

The start of the riveting, which is going so so, so im the rivets spin or arent flesh so i got rivet spacers, if you have any tips for this please let me know.

P5251376.jpg

The case so far, it looks amazing in the photos but the minor imperfections that I can see are bother the hell out of me.

Im starting to wonder if white is really the right direction, I love it but im considering orange.
Well anyways I have some e-mailing to do to scythe and koolance I have some plans that in need dimensions.

Last edited:
Back