Lian Li releases a new(way better) version of its strimmer line, several weeks ago...don't kill me

I know that this is not brand new news. I understand that this is a forum that is not going to treat me kindly for even mentioning RGB. But lets look at it another way. This is a custom extension that can be customized for years to come, and this version looks thick and high quality, as opposed to the first rendition. It also comes with a standalone control so you dont have to mess with buggy software. I can see this as the only rgb element in a system highlighting some great custom loops. This is a nice improvement on a questionable product that I can see lasting through a couple of builds. I DO want to light my case. Lighting is good. Where do you all come out on this product and rgb in general? By that I mean how do you use it, and when does it go too far. Let me have it.
here are the links:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1539...imer-plus-same-sketchy-name-upgraded-lighting
https://www.pcmag.com/news/hands-on-lian-lis-strimer-plus-an-rgb-riot-for-your-pcs-boring-cables

I like RGBW lighting in my case, but the flashing lights thing is a huge no-no. It's just my fear of commitment to a single colour scheme that benefits.

ROFL, I refrained from mentioning you by name, my brother. I disagree with you, but I understand your oldschooledness. I myself like some lighting on tubes and such.

I like RGB for the most part...But these cables suck bad and maybe they always will....give me a quality no bullshit cable over this crap....That video card could be fed by just 8 large enough gauge wires with built in spliter anyway...these RGB cables use like 32 wires or something retarded lol

I like RGB for the most part...But these cables suck bad and maybe they always will....give me a quality no bullshit cable over this crap....That video card could be fed by just 8 large enough gauge wires with built in spliter anyway...these RGB cables use like 32 wires or something retarded lol
Are you saying that these are lower quality cables than normal? Or that it should be done a different way. What I like about them is the thickness of the rgb component on top. It gives the impression of a quality extension like a cable mod vs. something cheaper. It has the LOOK of a cable that could go through several builds.

I like rgb though I usually refrain from rainbow theme, it's nice to be able to switch themes/colors and use the same lighting/fans for different builds.

Are you saying that these are lower quality cables than normal? Or that it should be done a different way. What I like about them is the thickness of the rgb component on top. It gives the impression of a quality extension like a cable mod vs. something cheaper. It has the LOOK of a cable that could go through several builds.
its not so much the quality cause we cant really see whats on the inside anyway. Look use what you like....Me, Im not adding additional wires that have zero function to provide power. What i really want know one makes at this present time. id kill to have simple round multi conductor cables like i once had with a power supple long time ago. I like round cables, Not flat ribbon cables:) with a bunch of extra wires

Case lighting was tacky 20 years ago and it’s just as tacky now.
Ok so you are one that has never had a windowed case. That is just fine. I would argue that case lighting and showing off your build has helped keep the hobby of building alive and thriving. I did not like the original strimmer because it was thin and looked cheap, this one is beefy with more subdued light. I can see it being used for just the mainboard and video card as the only lighting in a case and that not being over the top.

Gotta disagree. It's all about moderation and having a theme.
Yes, I think that is what I am trying to get at. Do we just hate rgb in general? That seems silly to me. This is a hardcore forum where we rate things by their greatest potential not on what the average joe would do. To say you hate all lighting is ....
I do not own this product, but I am impressed with it over the last implementation.

I can't wait for this RGB stupidity to die.
I think its here to stay.....or actually get even fancier as it has over the last few years. I like being able to easily change the colors, but the rainbow look is not for every build.

I can't wait for this RGB stupidity to die.

It won't and I am glad for it. I am glad to live in an age where you can make computer cases part of your interior decor and lighting done with a good taste can really improve the looks.

Outside of kids and teens nobody sane really uses the flashy Pride-flag Unicorn Ejaculation lighting in their daily rigs, that stuff is for showing off. But it is nice to be able to change and finetune the color of your interior case lighting with a press of a button.

Or this?
1584867497113.png
1584867497113.png

Don't get me wrong, these look pretty, but that's not the purpose of my computers. They on the floor in the corner under my desk, their top priority is to go as unnoticed as possible. That's why I like good cooling that makes as little noise as possible.

If they made them, I'd even buy good large cases without any case windows. I don't need that shit.

While pretty to look at, how much time does anyone really spend gazing into their computer case admiring how pretty it is?

I'd imagine it's more like:
- Build it
- Take a few showoff pictures for the forums
- Never really look at it again, because you are too busy actually using it.

In real use cases I imagine all that light would be more annoying than anything else. Heck, I even stick black electrical tape over the blue power LED on my microphone because it is too bright and distracting in a dark room.

I want no source of light to distract me from my screen.

I really don't like these cable. Their older version looked a whole heck of a lot better. These are just poorly attached chunks of RGB. If someone is going to do RGB cables, the individual cables need to be lit otherwise it just looks like shit.

I can see the appeal for younger crowds. Years ago I had a yellow Raidmax Scorpio decked out in UV, the envy of the LAN. I'm more of a minimalist now with a single white led at the top of the case illuminating some of the hardware. Recently I sold my main rig and will replace it with a wall mount case like a thermaltake core P3. I'd like to do some type of lighting but no pastel RGBs.

While pretty to look at, how much time does anyone really spend gazing into their computer case admiring how pretty it is?

Just as much time as you would stare a painting on a wall or a flower vase on a table. The point of nice decor is not that you stare at it day in and out, it is there to improve the general ambience of the room you are in.

But I do get wanting to simply hide the computer from sight, I used to do that too.

What happened to cable management? airflow and all that.
Seems like you´ll want as much cables on show as possible which will defeat the purpose of trying to increase airflow by hiding those cables behind the MB tray. :confused:

What happened to cable management? airflow and all that.
Seems like you´ll want as much cables on show as possible which will defeat the purpose of trying to increase airflow by hiding those cables behind the MB tray. :confused:
for my video card id more more inclined with this (possibly)
Capture.PNG

all age segments needs to be covered after all

View attachment 232190View attachment 232191

Fancy watches are nothing but male jewelery.

Same BS. as RGB fans.

Doesn't matter what the name on them is. Rolex, Tag Heuer, Breitling, Omega, Hublot, it doesn't matter. All stupid bullshit for shallow people who feel the need to show off to their idiot friends.

Same with all designer clothing and accessory brands. Doesn't matter if it is classy or gauche colorful lights. It is all the same.

Either it is all functional and all pragmatic, or I spit on it.

Any contest which turns into an abstraction of the argument of "hey, look what I can buy" says more negative things about the owner than the fools they are trying to impress...

Anything that is for looks. Anything that is for showing off, does nothing but fill me with contempt fora person.

Last edited:
Fancy watches are nothing but male jewelery.

Same BS. as RGB fans.

Doesn't matter what the name on them is. Rolex, Tag Heuer, Breitling, Omega, Hublot, it doesn't matter. All stupid bullshit for shallow people who feel the need to show off to their idiot friends.

Same with all designer clothing and accessory brands.

Either it is all functional and all pragmatic, or I spit on it.

Any contest which turns into an abstraction of the argument of "hey, look what I can buy" says more negative things about the owner than the fools they are trying to impress...

Anything that is for looks. Anything that is for showing off, does nothing but fill me with contempt fora person.

God forbid people like to look nice or have things they like to look at.

I do have RGB on my memory and I also have it on my front radiator fans on my case but it's subdued pretty much. I have the front set to be green if cool, yellow if heating up and red if the heat is too high. :wideyed:

Conspiracy theory: This is just a new vector of attack for LGBTQ+ to infiltrate the gaming community mind share. First it was reading to our kids in the libraries, now its fabulizing our rigs. Taste The Rainbow TM

RGB lighting means that the lighting may be configured tastefully.

It doesn't mean that everyone needs their case to look like their anus looks when shoved full of an RGB strobe at a rave.

Think less Brony and more Tron.

I love how heated these RGB debates get, so let me settle this for you all.

If you like RGB lighting and thing it’s a fun part of the building process, like a lot of us did when we modded our cases with acrylic windows and cold cathode lights back in the day, then knock yourself out. Buy RGB products, that’s why they are manufactured.

If you don’t like RGB lighting, don’t use it. Purchase products that don’t have this feature, that‘s why they are manufactured. If they do have that feature, turn it off. Don’t use the RGB headers on your motherboard, or buy a motherboard that doesn’t have them.

There, I hope this settles the matter. I know it might make some people’s heads explode to come to the realization that people like things that they don’t, but wasting time ranting about it on a tech forum isn’t going to change anything, and that time could be better spent ranting about how much better PCs are than consoles for gaming.

RGB lighting is dumb imo -- it's the ridiculous spoiler on a civic or the coffee can muffler that does nothing of the computing space

I love how heated these RGB debates get, so let me settle this for you all.

If you like RGB lighting and thing it’s a fun part of the building process, like a lot of us did when we modded our cases with acrylic windows and cold cathode lights back in the day, then knock yourself out. Buy RGB products, that’s why they are manufactured.

If you don’t like RGB lighting, don’t use it. Purchase products that don’t have this feature, that‘s why they are manufactured. If they do have that feature, turn it off. Don’t use the RGB headers on your motherboard, or buy a motherboard that doesn’t have them.

There, I hope this settles the matter. I know it might make some people’s heads explode to come to the realization that people like things that they don’t, but wasting time ranting about it on a tech forum isn’t going to change anything, and that time could be better spent ranting about how much better PCs are than consoles for gaming.

If only it was that easy. A lot of people cannot help but be smug about things they do not like or approve, state it proudly and loudly and then the opposite side takes it personally and we have an argument our hands. I admit I can be guilty of this at the times.

Back