LIAN LI PC-V1200Bplus II or the new PC-A70B

jchahn

Limp Gawd
I'm about to build this:

PSU Ultra X3 1000w (already bought)
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield (possibly Q6700)
HSF Tuniq Tower 120
RAM mushkin 4GB(2 x 2GB) 5-4-4-12
GPU1 EVGA 768-P2-N885-AR GeForce 8800Ultra
GPU2 EVGA 768-P2-N885-AR GeForce 8800Ultra
MB EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1
Optical1 Pioneer Black 18X SATA
Optical2 Pioneer Black 18X SATA
HDD1 Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB
HDD2 Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB

I'm trying to decide if I want to go ahead and get the PC-V1200B plus II mid tower and stuff all of that stuff in there, or if I would be better served to get the new Lian Li full tower PC-A70B. I also am considering the V2000 series, but those cases are so damn deep, I'm pretty sure it would stick out over the edge of my desk a few inches.

I've been wanting a Lian Li case for years. I just like the clean, sleek, industrial-esque look of them.

So, which case would you get?

I would probably go with the V1200, however I absolutely hate reversed atx cases. The PC-A70B is a monster! Not as pretty as the V1200. The structure of the V1200 looks more solid than the PC-A70B.

Actually, after looking at the dimesions on the web site, the V1200 is 24.6 inches deep and the PC-A70B is 23.3 inches deep (roughly)... so the mid tower is shorter but sticks out farther....

The removable motherboard tray, 6 12cm fans, the nifty pillar that holds the pci cards steady, and the ability to move the PSU to the top or bottom as needed (and put another 120mm fan in the unused PSU place).. or have redundant PSUs... all of these things are making me definitely lean towards the PC-A70B.

Anybody know when it's supposed to come out? I haven't seen it listed yet on pricewatch.

The PC-A70B is just way to big. And thats because you have 2 hard drives, and it can hold 7. It might be big and nice, but way to much. Go with a G70, save a couple hundred dollars, and mount a rad in the top to cool down the componets. You could also get a stacker or the alike, mount a couple fans in the front bays to keep those cards cool. The way to always look at it is... Are you going to use the case to the full potential of what it can do. Yes it is nice to say that you have it, but if you don't use it, it's just a waste of money. Now if you want a case that will hold allot of items with no modding, go with a mountains mods case, or the Lian-Li cube.

Save money in one area, and it will allow you to spend more in another.

Thats my advice.

Tyler

Hey, I was looking at your possible build and realized I am building almost the exact same thing except for the proc. (I'm getting the QX6850 instead)

I am also pondering on the case and would love to know which one you opted?
Have you considered the Silverstone TJ09?

PS I was wondering if you really needed such a powerful PSU.. is it necessary?

I like the Silverstone tj09. My problem with it is, if I'm going to pay $280 for a case, it should come w/ all of the fans. The tj09 doesn't come with the HDD fan (the one in the middle between the racs) and it doesn't come with the 2 blow hole fans in the top.

The Lian Li PC-A90B, on the other hand is on pre-order at one place I saw for $216.20 at

http://triointernational.com/all.cfm/partno/PCA70B/stat/froogle

and it comes with all 6 120mm fans stock from Lian Li. Plus the 2 inner 120mm fans are going to blow about as much air on the PCI cards as the tj09 would. It just seems like the better deal to me. If that turns out to be the MSRP then this new Lian Li case is actually going to be cheaper than the V1200.

Do you have any experience with the build quality and size of the Lian Li cases?

Since you seem more knowledgable in this field than I am and have an almost identical setup, I will most likely go with whatever you will...

Is the V1200B Plus II the same as the V2000B Plus II except for the size?

I vote V1200. Its the perfect size for a full scale build. Its has more than enough room for what you have planned without being overbearing. Its average mid-tower height with extended depth, perfect for long video cards and watercooling.

Here's my V1200 and all I put in it.

Do you have any experience with the build quality and size of the Lian Li cases?

Since you seem more knowledgable in this field than I am and have an almost identical setup, I will most likely go with whatever you will...

Is the V1200B Plus II the same as the V2000B Plus II except for the size?

I've wanted a Lian Li case for years, but I've never owned one, so I don't actually have much experience with them. As far as I can tell, the V2000B Plus II is just a larger version of the V1200B Plus II, in a manner of speaking. Look at the dimensions on the website.. the V2000B Plus II is 8.3in x 24.5in x 24.5in WxHxD (roughly)... that's ALOT of case.
The V1200B Plus 2 is the same width and depth, but quite a bit shorter. Even so, 24.5 inches is considerably deeper than your average run of the mill case. The ThermalTake Tsunami that I've been running for the last 3 years is about 17.5 inches deep.. In other words, make sure your desk is deep enough for a case like that. Mine barely is.

My overall goal is this. I need a case wide enough for the Tuniq Tower 120, and I want to OC my CPU somewhat... so I need a case that can keep everything cool enough to do that with all of the heat the SLI cards are going to create. In other words, I need a superior cooling system (w/out having to resort to water), and it needs to be large enough to accomodate everything comfortably.

That is exactly what I was looking for, however previously I was under the impression that my only two choices size-wise were the TJ09 and the V2000B...

I would gladly choose a smaller case as long as the cooling is not compromised...

I vote V1200. Its the perfect size for a full scale build. Its has more than enough room for what you have planned without being overbearing. Its average mid-tower height with extended depth, perfect for long video cards and watercooling.

Here's my V1200 and all I put in it.

Now that's a slick setup. What water cooling system is that?

That is exactly what I was looking for, however previously I was under the impression that my only two choices size-wise were the TJ09 and the V2000B...

I would gladly choose a smaller case as long as the cooling is not compromised...

Before I found out the PC-A90B was coming out, I was dead set on the V1200 (that will still most likely be my choice), and I had thought about doing this (I heard about it somewhere, don't remember where exactly)..

But basically stock the front fan is intake, the rear fan is intake, and the side fan is exhaust. What someone recommended was that I buy one of these:

Lian Li EX-33B Expansion Hard Drive Kit - Black

Scythe KAMA BAY SCKB-1000BK 120mm

and mount it in the lower three 5 1/4 drive bays and have it set to intake. Then reverse the fan on the rear of the case to exhaust..... so basically you would have 2 120mm fans on the front for intake, and then you would have 1 fan in the rear and 1 fan on the side for exhaust.... I would imagine if it is set up that way it would have no problems cooling anything in it.

Lian Li 1200. Im actually getting it prepared for my parts arrival that are coming today :D

its nekked right now :p

gotta wait for mobo to decide where im going to drill holes for wire management

Lian Li 1200. Im actually getting it prepared for my parts arrival that are coming today :D

its nekked right now :p

gotta wait for mobo to decide where im going to drill holes for wire management

Are you using air or water cooling? If air, are you going to leave the fans stock, or are you going to reverse any of them to change up the direction of airflow?

Well, I shot off an email to mountain mods asking them what the distance is from the motherboard to the side of the case in the smaller Twice7 cases. They replied back (in a few minutes I might add, which is amazing customer service) the following:

"Twice7 MB clearance from MB to window is 6 inches. So probably 5.75 is
about as tall as you can get."

5.75 inches is roughly 146mm... so that means the Tuniq Tower 120, the Sythe Ninja, and most of the other, what I call "super coolers" are out. The only one that I might could squeeze in there is a Zalman 9700. It's 142mm high according to Zalman's website, so it might just barely clear it.

Last night and today I've been reading more and more about the cube cases, and it seems like a really cool idea. In a way it's kinda the same concept as these reverse atx cases (like the V1200).. having the components separated into different compartments to isolate the components that produce the most heat... the big difference between a reverse atx case and a cube case is that in a reverse atx case the compartments are above and below each other, and in a cube (typically) they are side by side... the cube design seems overall better to me because heat rises.. and if the compartments are side by side, you don't have to worry about the heat rising from one compartment into the compartment above it.... also with a cube you have alot more room for additional fans.

I don't know.. I just keep thinking to myself "If your going to spend $230 on a V1200, what's an extra $100 to get double the space, better cooling, removable trays and racs for everything, and enough extra space to add as much water cooling stuff as you could ever want.... if you ever decide to go aqua." The UFO cases are awfully enticing.

I'm not a n00b when it comes to watercooling, btw.. My current case was watercooled for 2 years, but I got tired of the Zalman reserator.... it makes the case a pain to move and it's just totally impractical... but I am not opposed to the idea of a watercooling system that will actually fit inside the case.

TylerDustin2008: I wish you wouldn't have mentioned Moutain Mods :p I had never actually heard of them until you said something. Seeing those cases has totally thrown a monkey wrench into my plans and I'm now strongly considering a Horizon series MM case.

I like the horizontal MB tray in the Horizon series because you can put really heavy heatsinks/etc on the motherboard and not worry about it. I also like the fact that they have superb ventilation for air cooling, but are also pre-drilled and setup for watercooling when/if I decide to do that in the future.

On the one hand I like the sleek, industrial look of the Lian Li stuff, and on the other hand I like the room and versatility of the MM cases....

Maybe I should consider the Lian Li cube....

Decisions.... decisions..

Back