Lian Li PC-V1000B and Custom Water Cooling Loop

tenub

Limp Gawd
I made a thread over here asking about my next system upgrade:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1551394

and I would like to get some advice about my current case and intended hardware. I would like to have room to run 2 GTX 460s in SLI (eventually) so that means a top-mounted radiator is probably out of the question as it would probably interfere with one of the video cards. That leaves either the bottom in the hard drive bay area or externally and I would probably rather get a H70 than have anything outside my case. My question is: is there anyone out there who has done a custom water cooling loop in the V1000 without case modification? If so could you please help me figure out how to go about setting up a good quality loop for use with my intended hardware? Is it even possible to make this loop without any drilling or use of non-traditional tools?

If you don't want to read my other thread my new components will include: i7 930, Asus Rampage III Formula, 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1600, Corsair 750TX, 2x GTX 460 1GB and a Seagate ST3500418AS.

I already went ahead and ordered a Lian Li EX-33N HDD Mount Kit to move my hard drives below my DVD burner anyway. Consequently, I had to get a new SATA burner to use with a newer motherboard since they don't come with an IDE connection anymore (my current board, a DFI LP DK P35-T2RS, has one).

Since no one has responded I took more time to make some measurements and it looks like the MCR220 or similarly sized radiator should fit in the hard drive cage area and the pump and reservoir can go wherever. I have a new question however and that is: can I somehow mount the radiator at the bottom without cutting holes for screws? There are some holes for the hard drive cages but they wouldn't fit the radiator. There are however a bunch of small ventilation holes. Could I possibly zip tie the radiator in place or is there another better option without modifying my case?

Mod you case :) it's fun!! But really, I'm in the process of moding a v1100b and I've had to cut it all up... If you take your time be patient and do your research you'll have a nice and most importantly properly running water loop.

I have put a MCR220 in the bottom of my v1000 its a tight fit even with a Corsair HX650 (the smaller one of the series). i managed to get M3 standoffs that nearlly linned up with the holes on the bottom of the case with the rad, i had to drill them out a little by a mm or 2. the problem was it didnt vent very well and ended up getting to hot after using for awhile.
Another way is to cut away a section of the part where the 5.25 bays are and have the rad sitting up-right with it venting out the front so you can put the pump n res where the hdd cages are.

in the loop was a i7 920 and 460gtx which is quite alot for 120.2 rad.

Im in a very similar boat. I was trying out how to fit dual 480's in SLI in my V1000 with a rad up top. It is not possible.

So I am pretty much limited to running a single card and a 240mm rad around 40mm max thickness. That leaves me enough room for 25mm fans and *maybe* some 25mm shrouds (old fans). There is no way to do dual cards, with a rad up top in the v1k series :(

My plan is to do the above (240mm up top), a bay res/pump combo (XSPC), and a 5970 or whatever the faster 6xxx series card turns out to be.

I have an H50 as intake and it keeps my Q6600 ([email protected]) around 32*C idle and under 65*C intelburntest temps (highest ive ever seen). Usually I game around 45*C load with dirt2 maxed out (only game I play right now) I wanted to do a 340mm rad up top so I could put my CPU in the loop but with fans its not really possible with the other shit I have in the case. Theres always the option of mounting another 240mm rad on the back exterior of the case but IMO it would kill the sleek look of the case. Exterior rads and fans are out of the question IMO.

So alas, I think im going to stick with the h50, maybe sell and upgrade to an h70, and get a fast single card so I can keep all the w/c stuff internal and clean.

As much as I love my V1000B and it's simplistic, elegant design, I decided to buy the HAF 932 Black Edition (almost entirely because a 120.3 radiator can be top mounted without modification) and my own water cooling loop containing a 120.3 radiator and get in on the Asus Sabertooth X58 + 3x2GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 combo for ~$294. I had to spend a little more money in the end but I think it'll be worth it.

Should have gone with a V2000 :D

Could have mounted dual 360's in the bottom compartment, with all the gear in the middle no problem (check the Vxxx thread on Xtreme Systems). The HAF is not as classy imo :(

EDIT:
Actually you could probably fit 3 or 4 480 rad's down there :eek:
+ a 120 in the back if you wanted. Not my pic, but you get the idea...

img1376b.jpg

Also look in this thread for inspiration, though I guess you already made the purchase :(
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=174913

Last edited:
That does look kickass but $200+ for a case was way out of my price range. Plus the V2000 just looks gigantic.

youre spending all sorts of money on the stuff that goes into the case... IMO the case is just as important as anything thats in it. im saving up for the PC-X900B because of how clean the water cooling setup would be, and how well the air will flow.

rather than choosing a cheap case and standing back and saying "how can i fit all this in there"

i would rather choose a case that 100% perfectly fits my needs.

youre spending all sorts of money on the stuff that goes into the case... IMO the case is just as important as anything thats in it. im saving up for the PC-X900B because of how clean the water cooling setup would be, and how well the air will flow.

rather than choosing a cheap case and standing back and saying "how can i fit all this in there"

i would rather choose a case that 100% perfectly fits my needs.

Yea, and even at $200 the V2x cases are a great value. It looks at least three or four times better, for only twice as much!
And probably not even twice as much, a HAF on newegg is around $130, 70 bucks is nothing to upgrade to a better case.

Im in a very similar boat. I was trying out how to fit dual 480's in SLI in my V1000 with a rad up top. It is not possible.

It is possible, you just have to get creative... (this is a v1100 but its roughly the same case)

photorj.jpg

It's still a work in progress... once I get it done I'll post it in more detail :D

Are you using the Koolance shroud on the top of the case?? With my measuerements the rad would be pretty much touching the top card (internal 40mm thick rad)

Are you using the Koolance shroud on the top of the case?? With my measuerements the rad would be pretty much touching the top card (internal 40mm thick rad)

Yes... But it gets a little more creative than that. The radiator does just about touch my top pcie slot although its not used so Its moot. I did have to solder the power switch and led's to the back of the mobo because the radiator got in the way.

It is possible, you just have to get creative... (this is a v1100 but its roughly the same case)

photorj.jpg

It's still a work in progress... once I get it done I'll post it in more detail :D

Do you have any more pictures of this mod? I want to do something very similar with mine...

I reccomend a 1200 at least. I have mine sitting here and i tucked it inside of the top 5.25 bays and it clears my motherboard by about an inch or two?

Back