Lian-Li PC-Q25

Thank you for the pictures! Especially the last one.
Do you find it difficult to put the (right) side panel on b/c of the Molex power connections on the SATA backplane? What I find odd (not to say design flaw) is that if one tries to use SATA data cables with 90-degree connectors (which would be very natural here) -- they won't work, as the cable would go straight into the Molex power connector (or one needs to use very rare *left-angled* 90-degree SATA cables)

Have you inverted the PSU plate?

It looks like you could do with using a modular PSU. Or how about an external one?

Thank you for the pictures! Especially the last one.
Do you find it difficult to put the (right) side panel on b/c of the Molex power connections on the SATA backplane? What I find odd (not to say design flaw) is that if one tries to use SATA data cables with 90-degree connectors (which would be very natural here) -- they won't work, as the cable would go straight into the Molex power connector (or one needs to use very rare *left-angled* 90-degree SATA cables)

You are most welcome!

Everything is smooth and seamless, the molex power connections do not cause any problems. There is actually 1-2 inches left of room to play with, from the molex connections to the door.

SATA data cables angled at 90 degree I was going to get, but I figured you wouldn't need them because you still have room even if you use the straight connector ones. I'll double check later which angle they would go either to the Molex or Away.

There is no SATA power connections needed in this case, the only SATA power connection you would need would if you were to use 2.5 HD's connected on the bottom. Example would be the SSD, again I apologize for my messy wiring, the 4 pin molex is the only power connections you would need to connect in this computer case that will power the SATA backplane HD cage which will let you have 4 HDs.

Closer look of the cage.

Image_16.jpg

As you can see in the picture below all my SATA cables are in the front doing nothing but powering only 1 SSD that is at the bottom of the case. I agree I should get a modular PSU because I have so many unused wires stuffed at the bottom causing blockage of air flow.

PC-Q25-3jpg.jpg

Have you inverted the PSU plate?

It looks like you could do with using a modular PSU. Or how about an external one?

I have not inverted the PSU plate, modular PSU with this case is a must! In the future will be replacing it with a modular one. :D

Feel free to ask any other questions!

-Rich

Last edited:
my q25

ecs h67h2-i
i3
ripjaws 4gb
sapphire 6790
1x 1tb caviar black
4x 2tb caviar green
seasonic x660
scythe fans

e4fc9b6b.jpg

4889b3bd.jpg

Just curious what kind of temps people are seeing in these cases when they're stuffed with HDs. I like the case but am a little worried that form may not have followed function. At CES, Lian-Li was showing a new case in the same ballpark (the PC-Q18) that is a bit of a hybrid between the Q08 and the Q25 that would seem to provide better cooling than the Q25. Wonder if it's worth waiting...

See the red text below dude.

I really like the case to be honest - it serves me perfectly for what i want.
I'm defiantly going to embark on a 'psu cable length shortening' mission though

here it is complete

2011-09-16143636.jpg

I haven't seen much discussion about the SATA backplane (and Lian Li's installation guide doesn't seem to have a link). Can you tell me about connections, whether it was necessary to use right-angle (or left-angle) connectors? How about providing power? How difficult was that part of the build overall? Thanks!

I haven't seen much discussion about the SATA backplane (and Lian Li's installation guide doesn't seem to have a link). Can you tell me about connections, whether it was necessary to use right-angle (or left-angle) connectors? How about providing power? How difficult was that part of the build overall? Thanks!

I am interested in this very thing as well.

I am putting together an ESXi 5 white box build with the Q25 and am wonder if anyone has found a 2.5" tray/bracket to allow their use in the hot swap cage/backplane.

Lian Li has a product listed the HD-H32 that may work but it isnt obvious.

Anyone with any experience getting 2.5" drives working with the hot swap backplane?

I use straight sata connectors - ill get a pic tomorrow.

Does anyone know whether the hard drive cage is removable?

nope - you'll need to drill the rivets

anyone managed to host a modular psu in there? what is the clearance for psu? since most modular psu have at least 160mm in length, is an psu extender bracket required ?

anyone managed to host a modular psu in there? what is the clearance for psu? since most modular psu have at least 160mm in length, is an psu extender bracket required ?

A modular SFX PSU should fit just fine.

I am putting together an ESXi 5 white box build with the Q25 and am wonder if anyone has found a 2.5" tray/bracket to allow their use in the hot swap cage/backplane.

Lian Li has a product listed the HD-H32 that may work but it isnt obvious.

Anyone with any experience getting 2.5" drives working with the hot swap backplane?

Going to answer my own question here. After some trial an error with several different products, the ICY HOT MB882SP-1S-2B 2.5" to 3.5" SSD & SATA Hard Drive Converter fits perfectly w/ rails etc.

that's an awesome build. How much storage is that? What is your opinion of unRAID and what do you use your server for?

that's an awesome build. How much storage is that? What is your opinion of unRAID and what do you use your server for?

Thanks! It yields almost 6tb of storage. Each drive is a 2TB. The SSD up top is a cache drive. I have one more SATA port free to add another drive when the time comes.

So far, i am loving unRAID. I use it predominantly for hosting x264 media to my xbmc box. Also does a great job for TimeMachine backups.

that's the psu that i use; i took the stickers off mine though. Personally i think the cables are too long for that case- how about you?

that's the psu that i use; i took the stickers off mine though. Personally i think the cables are too long for that case- how about you?

I had to take the (unpictured) thick CX430 stickers off both the sides of the PSU. Those stickers made the PSU too thick to fit in the cutout! I think the cables are fine. There is plenty of room to stuff the unused ones between the PSU and top of the case. :)

Zotac are the only mITX I've seen with 6 SATA ports ... beware though, a few of Zotac's boards (I think that H55 included) are quite raw.

Why are you all using ATX PSUs? Wouldn't SFX PSUs be better? It's not like you're running a 680 in one of these things. And even if you are, you can get a 450W or 500W SFX PSU.

Is everyone using stock coolers for these cases? I'm putting together a NAS/ HTPC/ emulation/ have fun on my TV/ Usenet/ Bit torrent box. How much room is there between the processor and the PSU? I was hoping to wedge a Noctua in there: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608020

that noctua will not fit with the top fan on, it will probably be ok without.

Why are you all using ATX PSUs? Wouldn't SFX PSUs be better? It's not like you're running a 680 in one of these things. And even if you are, you can get a 450W or 500W SFX PSU.

because my psu was cheap and also helps extract heat directly off the fanless heatsink im using

Is everyone using stock coolers for these cases? I'm putting together a NAS/ HTPC/ emulation/ have fun on my TV/ Usenet/ Bit torrent box. How much room is there between the processor and the PSU? I was hoping to wedge a Noctua in there: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608020

Either that, or I might use a Corsair H80 and mount it externally.

I am using the stock cooler. Works fine for my application (similar to yours), but I'm running a Sempron 130.

because my psu was cheap and also helps extract heat directly off the fanless heatsink im using
Which heatsink are you using?

I was wondering the same re: processor heatsink - hadn't seen much and I know people are probably trying to keep this particular case quiet given it's application.

NewEgg says the maximum cooler height is 80mm - this seems to fit the bill; the Scythe Kozuti and Shuriken should fit the bill.

What kind of SFF8087 cables are you buying? Forward or reverse? It seems like if I buy 2 reverse, I'm forced go with onboard SATA ports for 2 of the drives in the box but still be able to fill the backplane off of a M1015 which of course results in 3 unused breakouts.

Last edited:
Just replaced the gtx 570 with the gtx 680, cooler and uses lesser power! My itx is a gaming beast.

Back